IGNORED

Movies acceptable to Christians

MrsYoungie

I wouldn't watch Breakfast At Tiffany's because of the yellowface scenes. They're really awful.

That's the problem with classic movies: they kept down the nudity and violence but didn't have a problem with racism or sexism.

True, I always forget about those until I see/hear them.

I keep having to turn off classic radio dramas when my kiddo is in the car with me.

(and don't get me started on how Sirius's 'Laugh break--comedy for everyone' channel won't allow anything not G rated in word choices but thinks classic racism is funny :cry: )

All I can think of are musicals and classics. Fiddler on the Roof would be good, but fundies prefer their Judaism old-school Biblical style. Also Charlie Chaplin silent movies.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101532170424444521371/July2011Pictures#5632050014261735826

The Duggars are photographed with Bethany Hamilton. I wonder if they have seen Soul Surfer, or had any idea who she was? Perhaps the females were allowed to see that movie since woman are not visually stimulated, according to fundies...

Not AS visually stimulated. Not not visually stimulated at all. Besides, women are never attracted to other women!

Another fun website in the vein of Christian Spotlight is PluggedIn.com. Always funny with the reviews of movies, and the cutesy euphemisms and ways to avoid directly saying things like 'a woman's breasts are shown from the side' or whatever, that's what keeps me coming back.

My father watched the '82 film 'Chariots of Fire' every Sunday for a year. Though there's a few curse words in it, it's very Christian without being preachy. It's actually one of the best films I've ever seen. And it wasn't made by Christians, I think.

We also liked 'The Printing' but that was a Christian film project put on, I think, by the Bob Jones University.

The fundies from my experience tend to avoid movies with Christian themes but no mention of God ~ if the characters aren't giving glory to the Lord, then who are they giving it to??? It needs to be overt, or its not good enough.

The Princess Bride got thumbs down because Wesley says something about Buttercup's "perfect breasts" toward the end. (Give the guy a break, he was mostly dead all day!)

Harvey also got thumbs down, because the puka was obviously a demon.

Fiddler on the Roof was iffy ~ when Mottel the Tailor says "Rabbi, we've been waiting all our lives for the Messiah. Wouldn't now be a good time for him to come?" its just so sad, because we all know the Messiah came 2000 years ago.

I made the mistake of suggesting Dances with Wolves (sacrificial love and all that) to this group, and was later chastised for suggesting a movie containing paganism and shameless fornication. Ooops.

Another fun website in the vein of Christian Spotlight is PluggedIn.com. Always funny with the reviews of movies, and the cutesy euphemisms and ways to avoid directly saying things like 'a woman's breasts are shown from the side' or whatever, that's what keeps me coming back.

Ok, I have to share that I visit Plugged In if I'm interested in watching a movie with a lot of violence. Why? Because I need to make sure no one's getting their eyes poked out! And if they are, I need to have an idea of when so I can tell my hubs to let me know when it's over.

The eye thing has made it terribly difficult to watch House (horrors of eye horrors!), The Tudors, The Borgias, Dexter (surprisingly no eye trauma I remember). Six Feet Under managed to be eye friendly until they got me with the first death of the last season. Just stop with the eye gouging already, folks! Occasionally I want to watch a horror movie and they seem to all have eye trauma going on.

But I don't think Plugged In is always very accurate. Before I went to see Unknown, I checked it there because I had a feeling about it. They said "man has his eye gouged." I ended up closing my own eyes quite a bit during the fight scenes and come to find it was only a finger pushing someone's eye. I mean, it's not fun to watch but I was expecting some serious grossness.

I agree the reviews are amusing because the reviewers are trying to describe sex scenes in clean ways.

OH yes, I go there for violence run-downs too. Gunfire I can take. Eye or hand trauma and other kinds of sadistic type violence, I at least need to know about beforehand. But no, they're not always accurate. They described a scene in the remake of The Manchurian Candidate, where he gets the hole drilled in his head, as 'excruciating' but it wasn't at all. It's done for medical, not torture, purposes, and the 'victim' doesn't seem to mind at all. Later in the film, they neglect to mention that a woman touches a man's bare chest, and in Iron Man 2, they forgot to mention the ENTIRE SCENE in which a man is dressed in nothing but white briefs. I emailed them about both omissions, but they didn't change anything.

When I was still in the fundie church, we often had movie nights so I'm guessing movies weren't totally off limits. Most of what I saw were Christian movies with awful production values. However, I do remember some others being approved:

-Chariots of Fire

-just about every Bible movie from the 1950s(I remember liking Ben-Hur)

- The Apostle (really cool character study of a VERY flawed evangelist played by Robert DuVall; This got banned by my church a year after we saw it.)

- Iron Will

- Inn of the Seventh Happiness

- Henry V

- BBC version of Jane Eyre (there was much lecturing about romance novels both before and after this showing, IIRC)

- It's a Wonderful Life

- The Sound of Music (they showed this one soooo many times)

Is there a movie version of The Waltons? I seem to remember being subjected to that,too.

Guest Anonymous
When I was still in the fundie church, we often had movie nights so I'm guessing movies weren't totally off limits. Most of what I saw were Christian movies with awful production values. However, I do remember some others being approved:

-Chariots of Fire

-just about every Bible movie from the 1950s(I remember liking Ben-Hur)

- The Apostle (really cool character study of a VERY flawed evangelist played by Robert DuVall; This got banned by my church a year after we saw it.)

- Iron Will

- Inn of the Seventh Happiness

- Henry V

- BBC version of Jane Eyre (there was much lecturing about romance novels both before and after this showing, IIRC)

- It's a Wonderful Life

- The Sound of Music (they showed this one soooo many times)

Is there a movie version of The Waltons? I seem to remember being subjected to that,too.

The TX movie/pilot of "The Waltons" came out around 1971. It was called "The Homecoming" and featured Patricia Neal as Olivia Walton, and Andrew Duggan as John Walton. Richard Thomas played John-Boy in both the TV movie and the series. If I remember correctly, Andrew Duggan was far less tolerant of his son's writing ambitions in the movie, than Ralph Waite was in the series.

Is there a market for movies of this type but possibly without the heavily Christian theme?

What I mean is a movie that is without swearing, nudity or extreme violence - but not a children's movie. I was saying that there is such a market and he maintained that you can't make a realistic movie without some swearing or negative themes.

Alfred Hitchcock did well and his movies didn't have swearing, nudity, or extreme violence. I don't go to the movies often so I really can't comment on very many current movies. I did see Sarah's Key recently. It didn't have swearing, the only nudity was 2 girls in a pond seen from a distance, but it had the violence of the terrible acts of the French Vichy police against the Jews. There was a suicide also.

Archived