IGNORED

We officially have a new chair of the DNC

RoseWilder

I was very torn about who I wanted to win the election for the new chair of the DNC because I really like both Tom Perez and Keith Ellison. I had even joked to a friend the other day that I wish they could both win and run the DNC together. 

Well the results are in, and I couldn't be happier. Tom Perez won and then he appointed his opponent as his Deputy Chair. 

http://www.palmerreport.com/politics/tom-perez-wins-dnc-chair-keith-ellison-deputy/1668/

The tightly contested but consistently respectful race for Chair of the Democratic National Committee officially came to an end today in fittingly unifying fashion. Tom Perez, the former Secretary of Labor under the Obama administration, was elected as DNC Chair. Congressman Keith Ellison of Minnesota finished a fairly close second in the race. And in his first act as Chair, Perez immediately made a motion to appoint Ellison as his Deputy Chair.

“I would like to begin by making a motion,” Tom Perez said to the crowd after being announced as the winner of the race. “It’s a motion that I have discussed with a good friend, and his name is Keith Ellison. And the motion I would like to make to the body is a motion suspending the rules, if I may, to appoint Keith Ellison Deputy Chair of the Democratic National Committee.” The motion was followed by sustained applause and then approved by a unanimous voice vote. The two men then hugged before Ellison spoke to the crowd.

And the new DNC chair and Deputy Chair have a message for Donald Trump:

http://www.palmerreport.com/opinion/tom-perez-keith-ellison-donald-trump-going-worst-nightmare/1674/

After the Democratic National Committee put up a united front today by electing Tom Perez as the new DNC Chair, who then created a new Deputy DNC Chair role for his opponent Keith Ellison, it fell to Donald Trump to try to knock them down a peg via his infamous insult-machine of a Twitter account. But as it turns out, Trump apparently hadn’t even heard of Tom Perez prior to today, referring to him as “Thomas Perez” instead, and unwittingly handing Perez the opportunity for the zinger.

Trump tweeted “Congratulations to Thomas Perez, who has just been named Chairman of the DNC. I could not be happier for him, or for the Republican Party!” In so doing, he revealed that he apparently had no idea who Tom Perez is, as no one in politics refers to him as Thomas. That allowed Perez to fire back at Trump with “Call me Tom. And don’t get too happy. Keith Ellison and I, and Democrats united across the country, will be your worst nightmare.”

Way to go Tom. And isn't it amazing (in a completely horrifying way) how Trump manages to make a complete and total ass of himself at all times and on every occasion. 

I'm disappointed. Also they voted against reinstating the ban on corporate donations. I'm done with the DNC; I changed my affiliation before the November election and this just tells me I made the right choice. I hope that having Ellision as a Deputy Chair is more than just a ceremonial title, but I'm not holding my breath. 

I don't know enough about Tom Perez to comment.  I haven't followed everything Keith Ellison has done,but from what I've seen I like. The cynical part of me gives a little side eye to the choice.  Was Ellison given second chair to appease him as a token.  I don't think so.  I am hoping it was aimed towards unity.  Orange fuck stick will have a sputtering brain fart over Ellison.  A scary brown Muslim.  It just feed his and his orange zombie's Islamophobia.  

And there is this .....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/02/25/sanders-burns-trump-with-taunting-tweet-about-the-size-of-his-inauguration-crowd/?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_trumpcorrespondents-525pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.df4c0b8883c8

Can you feel the Bern Mr. Orange pile of crap? 

I haven' t really followed the DNCchair but I hope the party can cut the in-fighting crap and focus on the real enemies

Being non-America based, I've never heard of either of these guys but I love, love, love Tom's tweet back to Trump... Humour, snark and a slap down all in one go!

Fingers crossed that this gives a new burst of energy to the party :beer:

I'm happy with Perez. We need Ellison in his seat - I wouldn't want to see him out of Congress. We had two good candidates. If we've got a group that's going to throw tantrums and stay home if their candidates don't win (lookin' at you, Bernie Bros) and the DNC doesn't immediately move to the far left.....eh. With all the press about attracting moderates back to the Democratic party, I'd rather see a progressive faction in the DNC pulling it further to the left than "progressives" hopping in and out who will only vote Democratic if they get everything and everyone they want. Perez is a smart guy, former civil rights attorney, he's not exactly a Republican in blue clothes. He's got a lot more experience in national politics and party politics than Ellison, who for all his strengths is still a relative newcomer.
I think anyone claiming the two parties are exactly alike after almost two months of Trump and Congress working really hard to fuck EVERYBODY who's not a millionaire is probably beyond help.

@bea you are my favorite person with this summary! All my feelings at once! I think they are both going to do some amazing things, especially because they've become friends throughout this entire election. Plus just read that Ellison invited Perez as his guest for Orange fuckface's SOTU tomorrow evening.

Also just to remind people, Perez is a frist generation american, his parents immigrated from the Dominica Republic!

Tom Perez is still really far to the left, even if not quite as far as Ellison. And I think Jeff Sessions opposed his nomination for Secretary of Labor because he was associated with pro-immigration advocacy, etc. 

So I don't agree with the BernieBro narrative that we're rejecting the left and moving to the center.

Also he was democratically elected? And the democrats voted for Hillary? She won the popular vote in the primary? 

Am I missing something?

Tom Perez was our keynote speaker at the SC Democratic Convention last spring and he brought the house down!   Perez was on fire!!  I was for Keith at first, but then I really didn't care because they're both great.  As @bea said we need Keith Ellison in Congress.  His seat might be reliably blue, but his successor would not have the seniority he has and that is nothing to be sneezed at.

Archived