IGNORED

Shooting Outside Queens Mosque, Possible Hate Crime

iweartanktops

"A lone gunman executed a revered Queens imam and his friend as the pair walked home from Saturday prayers, blasting each in the back of the head without a word, officials said.

Mosque leader Maulama Akonjee and friend Thara Uddin were dressed in Muslim garb when the killer “approached from behind and shot” from point-blank range, said NYPD Deputy Inspector Henry Sautner of the Queens South Detective Bureau."

More at the Link

This is so sad. My heart goes out to their families, Mosque members and community. I hope they find the sick individual who did this! 

Just now, Geechee Girl said:

Omg, that's horrible. Is no place safe anymore?

Nope.   We are all at risk, from someone, somewhere, with an agenda about which, we have no clue.

Carry on and, be vigilant, if something seems wonky.

I have to add, sadly, this is our new reality.

20 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Nope.   We are all at risk, from someone, somewhere, with an agenda about which, we have no clue.

Carry on and, be vigilant, if something seems wonky.

I have to add, sadly, this is our new reality.

I agree. It's a fucked up world. :(

I feel awful for his family and mosque.  I just don't understand how this continues to happen.  Our country is on such a sad, dangerous path and unfortunately I don't see a way off of it.

Damn, people can't walk out the doors of their places of worship without fear.

Within the Muslim community (online and IRL) that I am a part of, we've had discussions like this for years.  Especially since Trump started campaigning and doing all his anti-Muslim rhetoric, we've known it was coming.  It's said, but we have.  It was just a matter of time.  Trump has some very scary followers, who take what he says literally.  Trump says that the US should rid itself of a Muslim "problem", well, there are people who listen to what he says sitting in the crowd or sitting in a dark room at home who have access to weaons and no problem doing it.  

I understand logically why the NYPD is saying that there is no proof that it was a religiously motivated crime.  However, I, and many of my friends, have faced and listened to some pretty horrible stuff.  I'm luckier than my American friends in that way, as while people do say it in Canada, it doesn't seem to have the violent tone behind it.  

When I got home from a thing Saturday night and saw this when I checked the news online, it wasn't an "oh my god!" moment.  It was a "well.  It finally actually happened" very sad moment.  None of us are as safe as we'd like to think we are.  Unfortunately, some of us have felt very unsafe for years. :(

It's sad that people are no longer safe going to and from their place of worship. Even that American saber fencer said that she doesn't always feel safe in the country she was born in, because she happens to be a Muslim, and has gotten a lot of hate on social media as a result.

How hard is it for some people to understand that you can't go around killing people because you don't like them?

Archived