SpoonfulOSugar

Melania Trump is trending on Facebook after Politico pointed out that her official biography (arriving via a visa in 1996) doesn't explain nude photos that were taken in 1995.

But beyond that, she was working (1996 until she received a green card) with a type of visa which her husband is now condemning and promising to eliminate the program.

And no one will explain how she qualified for permanent residency, either.

Meanwhile, there's 11 million undocumented immigrants which Trump wants to deport.  Then there's the whole issue about barring immigrants from "terrorist" countries.

Here's the Melania story:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/melania-trump-immigration-donald-226648

Here's a follow up:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/melania-trump-immigration-statement-226674

So - what's the right approach to immigration?  Where should US policy start?  

And is this latest Melania kerfuffle just a distraction for the Trump organization?  Symptom of the deeper failures?  

When I first read this story, I assumed that she didn't have an H1B. They don't require renewal outside the US. She was most likely on a B2 visitor visa and working illegally, which happens a lot.  I also don't think she kept leaving and coming back,since doing that sets off redflags everywhere. As a visitor, you must have intent to leave the US and not make it your home. Leaving just to renew your visitor visa and come back would show intent that you plan to stay. Personally, I think she came in once and didn't leave, overstaying her visa.  In 2001, there was an amnesty called the LIFE Act, which basically allowed green cards for people here illegally for an extended period of time so long as they met certain requirements, so I think the timing of her green card application might point to what really happened. Immigration files are available under FOIA, so someone could just ask and know for sure. 

The immigration code needs to be completely scratched and rewritten by people who know what they're doing. Right now, it's just a patchwork full of loopholes for some and dead-ends for others. 

Deporting 11 million people is just not feasible based solely on cost and manpower needed. 

As for terrorism, very thorough background checks are a huge part of what immigration does. I'll just leave it at that. 

FWIW, I'm an immigration attorney and before that I was an immigration officer with USCIS. 

Archived