IGNORED

Gary Johnson? Why or Why Not.

Florita

I'm not a super-political person, but I prefer to make an informed decision. I vote for the person, not the party (sorry for the cliche) Not thrilled with the major party candidates and I'm looking into the Libertarian Party. I think Gary Johnson might be a good alternative, but I really don't know that much about him.

I would like to see him start polling at 15% in order to get in on the debates. News media almost totally ignores him. Anyone else thinking about Johnson?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to consider myself of the Libertarian variety. Since in my own little world Trump vs Hillary is merely a "which is the lesser of two evils" I think Im going to look into my party's candidate a lot more as well.

Gary Johnson has been on my radar for a while.  He was extremely popular as New Mexico's governor - and NM is a Democratic leaning state.  He decreased government while increasing educational spending, which are two approaches I support.

I haven't delved deeply into his policy positions, but my impression is much more favorable than is my impression of either Trump or Clinton.  

Negative:  I want my vote to have an impact, and I worry that it will not if I support Johnson.

I have been considering Johnson also. Trump is not an option and I am not a Hillary fan.

I perused his website and like what I see. Too bad this country runs on Dem/Rep candidates -- wish there was a way to get him some big time exposure, get a celebrity endorsement, something along those lines. Gosh, when was the last time a non-Dem/Rep even became president?!

4 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Negative:  I want my vote to have an impact, and I worry that it will not if I support Johnson.

(snipped for brevity)

I totally agree. I bet there are many like us who feel like that, too.

He's a triathlete and that's a plus for me. Overall, I like him as a third party candidate, as I can't stand either Hillary or Trump and am very happy I live in a state that most people forget exists when it comes to campaigning. However, I disagree with a free-market approach to climate change, which he is advocating. I also disagree with him on healthcare. However, I strongly agree with him on privacy rights, education, and marijuana legalization. 

16 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I want my vote to have an impact, and I worry that it will not if I support Johnson.

There are some parts of his platform I agree with, some that I don't, just like most of the other candidates.

But I live in a swing state.  So if I don't vote for the major party that aligns closest with my views (the Dems), then it's essentially giving a vote to Trump.

11 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

He's a triathlete and that's a plus for me. Overall, I like him as a third party candidate, as I can't stand either Hillary or Drumpf and am very happy I live in a state that most people forget exists when it comes to campaigning. However, I disagree with a free-market approach to climate change, which he is advocating. I also disagree with him on healthcare. However, I strongly agree with him on privacy rights, education, and marijuana legalization. 

And that qualifies him to be president how? 

17 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Gary Johnson has been on my radar for a while.  He was extremely popular as New Mexico's governor - and NM is a Democratic leaning state.  He decreased government while increasing educational spending, which are two approaches I support.

I haven't delved deeply into his policy positions, but my impression is much more favorable than is my impression of either Trump or Clinton.  

Same over here. I lean libertarian on a lot of issues, but dislike some aspects of the Libertarian party (strains of misogyny, anti-Semitism, and conspiracy theories). Johnson has never indulged any of those unsavory aspects, he has real leadership experience, and he just comes off as a reasonable, professional guy. I've liked him for a while now. 

I'd also love for a third party to make a real mark on an election, and it would be great to have him (or Stein, or anyone else) in the debates.

But I live in a swing state, and don't think I could forgive myself if somehow, someway, Donald Trump became president. I've really been agonizing over this. 

4 hours ago, louisa05 said:

And that qualifies him to be president how? 

It doesn't. But it makes him more of a "real person" than Trump, who appears to have no hobbies beyond "making money" and "being racist." 

18 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

It doesn't. But it makes him more of a "real person" than Trump, who appears to have no hobbies beyond "making money" and "being racist." 

This is the problem with our politics in a media driven setting. People should not be voting based on perceptions of liking or disliking candidates personally or evaluating their hobbies or lack thereof. Frankly, the job does not leave time for hobbies. Presidents who do pursue them (golf being the main one we have seen) just get criticized for wasting time. This is not about if you could hang out with the president because you are never going to hang out with the president. I do not like anyone who ran this cycle on a personal level--as far as I can tell since I do not really know them--that does not effect my vote at all. No one is running to be my friend.

Couldn't have said it better myself @louisa05.  That's one thing that drives me INSANE about the morons who vote based on who they think they'd enjoy having a beer with (see: George W Bush).  Seriously?  That's your criteria for the most powerful position in the country?  Awesome.  There's tons of people who would be interesting to get a drink with that I wouldn't trust to walk my dog, let alone be leader of the US.  

Stupid people hurt my head.

I found it interesting that he'd completed an Ironman,  and shared that knowledge. That doesn't mean I'm stupid. I also mentioned policies that I like and don't like. My biggest problem with Johnson are his positions on Healthcare. 

Frankly, I think the President should not be criticized for having a non political hobby or interest. Burnout/rapid aging of presidents is huge. They are people too, not super human gods.

And the people who complain about golf are obviously not familiar with golf. Obama is working while golfing, and so is every other president. 

Bill Clinton jogged and went on SNL with his saxophone. Nixon had a dog. Regan was an actor. Obama likes watching basketball and sometimes is photographed riding his bike. 

Regardless, I will be likely to vote for him or Jill Stein. Right now, Johnson is on more ballots and has a chance to get into the debate. I don't want either of the main parties. I also think Johnson is more in line with American people right now. 

I'm sorry if it came out wrong- I didn't mean that you were stupid.  I know people in my non-internet life who voted solely on which candidate they thought would be more fun to have a beer with when it came to Bush and Kerry.  I mean, really?

I agree that Presidents need to have some sort of hobby.  The job isn't exactly low stress.

I luckily live in a non swing state and have the guilt free option of voting third party. Johnson is what Republicans say they are about, but continually prove otherwise. Most people seem to be of the mindset of manage money smart for useful purposes and stop wasting resources on items which do not benefit the general public. Honestly I have to respect him for staying on the Libertarian ticket when he could have easily done well as a Republican ticket candidate. I think a lot of people are going to either vote third party or write in Bernie, because they simply can't stomach the two parry choices.

53 minutes ago, infooverload said:

I luckily live in a non swing state and have the guilt free option of voting third party. Johnson is what Republicans say they are about, but continually prove otherwise. Most people seem to be of the mindset of manage money smart for useful purposes and stop wasting resources on items which do not benefit the general public. Honestly I have to respect him for staying on the Libertarian ticket when he could have easily done well as a Republican ticket candidate. I think a lot of people are going to either vote third party or write in Bernie, because they simply can't stomach the two parry choices.

I am in a non-swing state also. I had not thought of the third party as being a guilt free option - that's true!

I liked some Gary Johnson and Libertarian FB pages and I was kind of surprised how many of my friends had liked the pages also. Also listened to some interviews with Johnson. I like what I'm hearing, I like what I'm seeing. 

While (as with any political candidate) I do not agree with Johnson's position on every topic, I also overall am positively impressed with Johnson, and my current line of thought is that he will get my vote. And I am in what is considered a swing state. I will vote my conscience regardless; this is what "guilt-free" means to me.

On July 5, 2016 at 6:24 PM, infooverload said:

People need to be careful with this one. I know in my state, it would not be a valid vote because he was on a major party's ballot in the primary- our state law says he can't then run as an independent (or a write-in) in the general. Honestly, I thought during the primaries it was something we would have to worry about with Trump making a third party bid; I never thought it would be the other side. I know some people say that a third party vote is throwing a vote away (or a vote for Trump), but if state law says they can't be a write-in in the general, it would literally be a throw-away vote to do so. Encourage people to check their laws before writing their candidate in! 

On 7/3/2016 at 0:07 PM, Maggie Mae said:

It also means he's  likely to keep up his energy level and stay mentally sharp and healthy for the duration of his term.

• 2 weeks later...

When I look up Johnson's position on issues, I keep reading "No student loans. They cause higher tuition." But I can't find any further information. Does anyone have any further information on this. I can't figure out if he's saying he wants to make it illegal to get student loans. And, if so, how would that work? There are a lot of people who can't afford to go to college without student loans. 

1 hour ago, RoseWilder said:

When I look up Johnson's position on issues, I keep reading "No student loans. They cause higher tuition." But I can't find any further information. Does anyone have any further information on this. I can't figure out if he's saying he wants to make it illegal to get student loans. And, if so, how would that work? There are a lot of people who can't afford to go to college without student loans. 

I found this article. It claims he wants to lower the interest rates on student loans.

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/gary-johnson-will-consider-lowering-student-loan-interest-rates-if-elected-president

1 hour ago, RoseWilder said:

He doesn't want to make it "illegal" to get student loans. 

He said that he wouldn't do anything with student loans, but believes that the government backed student loan program is part of the reason why college costs are skyrocketing. 

Basically, if you eliminate the student loans from the government,  then colleges and universities would have to lower their costs.  

I can tell you that my personal experience with public higher ed is that it's a giant mess of inefficiencies, bureaucracy, and wasteful spending.  I'm not saying we need to abolish universities,  or that we should return to only the elite being worthy of education.  However,  the current system and culture around higher ed is unsustainable. 

Good quote from Drew Carey on Gary Johnson "stealing" votes from Clinton/Trump:

“I don’t give a fuck. If your person doesn’t get enough votes, you lose. I don’t want to hear it. There are more than two choices and you are allowed to vote for whoever you want. This is America. If you can’t get the votes to win, tough shit.”  

I once voted for Ralph Nader, fully realizing that my vote was a throwaway. But the stakes are just too high to do that now. I was feeling the Bern, but its Hillary all the way now. I think she will be a perfectly capable non-crazed chief executive. America needs to lose its woman as president virginity also. I like her running mate, although I never heard of him before. Her ticket is far more appealing than Trump/Pence. 

Archived