IGNORED

Ohio school district is teaching creationism using a video from a Muslim sex cult

doggie

hard to tell if this is real or not.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/05/16/school-teaching-creationism-with-video-from-islamic-sex-cult.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Youngstown, Ohio, students are learning creationism in school with materials from a Islamic, Holocaust-denying group accused of being a sex cult.

A curriculum map (PDF) recommends teachers in this public school district show a creationist video, Cambrian Fossils and the Creation of Species, as part of 10th-grade science education. The video claims that the Cambrian Explosion “totally invalidates the theory of evolution.” The Cambrian Explosion was a time period, nearly 550 million years ago, where, over the next tens of millions of years, the number of species on Earth experienced a (relatively) rapid expansion by evolutionary standards. Christian creationists regularly point to this explosion of life as evidence for creation by God and against evolution.

Blink and you’d miss the Islamic connection in the video. A black screen flashes for less than one second that says “this film is based on the works of Harun Yahya.” In the right corner, there’s a gold bubble that says, “Muhammad is the messenger of Allah” in Arabic.

Harun Yahya, whom The Daily Beast has covered before, is a pseudonym for Adnan Oktar, a creationist cult leader and Islamic televangelist who owns Turkey’s A9 TV channel. Yahya (along with his followers) is the author of hundreds books, including an 800-page Atlas of Creation, and another (PDF), which Oktar has now disavowed, titled The Holocaust Deception: The Hidden Story of Nazi-Zionist Collaboration and the Inner Story of the Hoax of “Jewish Holocaust.”

What exactly is an Islamic Sex Cult?  (besides the name of my next metal hair band, obviously)

Ohio does have according to their state department of education website, a rigorous common core.  Science is included within their common core.  I know that "common core curriculum" makes some people ragey, but statewide learning standards are supposed to assure that the student in an urban area receives access to the same curriculum as the student going to school in rural areas.  I'm hoping that this is "Onion" type news, and not further erosion of education in the US by extreme conservative nut jobs.  

6 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

What exactly is an Islamic Sex Cult?  (besides the name of my next metal hair band, obviously)

We had a thread about it once. It is truly a bizarre thing.

Archived