IGNORED

Okay, Gang...I'm going in!

circularlogic

Okay. I've been hanging around this forum and others, taking in alot of information about church abuses, the IFB and survivor stories from within certain church groups. I have taken part in much snarking but at the same time felt great compassion for the children growing up in these environments. My heart hurts for their certain worldview. (the world isn't so bad! Its kind of cool out here) But lately, I have felt like I am only taking 3rd or 4th hand information as fact and making judgements on things i have not witnessed for myself. Somehow that feels almost as icky as some of the things we despise in these fundamentalists. Also, Im just really, really curious. So, I have decided to put my money where my mouth is....I found an IFB church in the town near me and I plan on going this Sunday to see just exactly what they are all about. Because I want to check myself here, I welcome any feedback before I go.

I ran my own mental checklist and:

a. my motive is pure. I just want to see what exactly they are preaching and teaching. It is in my own neighborhood, I would kind of like to know if there is any real abuse happening here.

b. I am secure enough in myself and don't feel that I can be sucked in.

c. I like my view of the world and don't feel like i need someone to guide me through it. I am 50 years old so that ship has nearly sailed, lol

d. i am not afraid for my eternal soul, nor do i feel the need to blame bad things or wrong decisions on some dude with a pointy tail.

e. worst case, if there is a good message and nice people - then all is well in mercer county.

okay, guys and gals....what do you think? should i leave well enough alone or are you curious too?

p.s. i promise to wear pants, own my unique and empowered womanhood, promote feminism and under no circumstances advocate spanking infants

Okay. I've been hanging around this forum and others, taking in alot of information about church abuses, the IFB and survivor stories from within certain church groups. I have taken part in much snarking but at the same time felt great compassion for the children growing up in these environments. My heart hurts for their certain worldview. (the world isn't so bad! Its kind of cool out here) But lately, I have felt like I am only taking 3rd or 4th hand information as fact and making judgements on things i have not witnessed for myself. Somehow that feels almost as icky as some of the things we despise in these fundamentalists. Also, Im just really, really curious. So, I have decided to put my money where my mouth is....I found an IFB church in the town near me and I plan on going this Sunday to see just exactly what they are all about. Because I want to check myself here, I welcome any feedback before I go.

I ran my own mental checklist and:

a. my motive is pure. I just want to see what exactly they are preaching and teaching. It is in my own neighborhood, I would kind of like to know if there is any real abuse happening here.

b. I am secure enough in myself and don't feel that I can be sucked in.

c. I like my view of the world and don't feel like i need someone to guide me through it. I am 50 years old so that ship has nearly sailed, lol

d. i am not afraid for my eternal soul, nor do i feel the need to blame bad things or wrong decisions on some dude with a pointy tail.

e. worst case, if there is a good message and nice people - then all is well in mercer county.

okay, guys and gals....what do you think? should i leave well enough alone or are you curious too?

p.s. i promise to wear pants, own my unique and empowered womanhood, promote feminism and under no circumstances advocate spanking infants

Of course we are curious! Just don't let them take your soul!

side note: in this venture i want to bring a bible so that i can reference for myself what is being used as a basis for teaching. i already know that the KJV is one of the least accurate, but i do not know which version is the best translation from the original text. does anyone have this info? i'd like to get one tomorrow so i can compare the KJV and other version on key verses used in the IFB

thank you!

side note: in this venture i want to bring a bible so that i can reference for myself what is being used as a basis for teaching. i already know that the KJV is one of the least accurate, but i do not know which version is the best translation from the original text. does anyone have this info? i'd like to get one tomorrow so i can compare the KJV and other version on key verses used in the IFB

thank you!

Depending on the church you might just be able to use an app on your phone for easy comparisons. Even the Maxwells allow that.

But if they frown on that, you could get a parallel study Bible. Bonus, it would be gigantic for street cred. :lol:

its a little late for me to run out now...i got busy today and the nearest store with a selection of bibles would be almost 30 miles away (i am very, very rural)...so i think i will look online and see if the sermon or verses for tomorrow are posted and write them down in a notebook - or even a few general key verses the IFB movement use for control over their flock and do some preliminary study before i go.

I'm pretty stoked about going. The IFB church closest to me doesn't have too many red flags on their website, and a quick google search didn't present any issues surrounding abuse....however there is an IFB in Butler, PA (about an hour from me) that has a highly publicized scandal regarding the abuse (sexual and physical) of children. i think i will go to that one next weekend...or maybe wednesday night. they probably get a little deeper into their sickness on a smaller, more personal level.

thanks for the suggestions!

• 4 months later...
its a little late for me to run out now...i got busy today and the nearest store with a selection of bibles would be almost 30 miles away (i am very, very rural)...so i think i will look online and see if the sermon or verses for tomorrow are posted and write them down in a notebook - or even a few general key verses the IFB movement use for control over their flock and do some preliminary study before i go.

I'm pretty stoked about going. The IFB church closest to me doesn't have too many red flags on their website, and a quick google search didn't present any issues surrounding abuse....however there is an IFB in Butler, PA (about an hour from me) that has a highly publicized scandal regarding the abuse (sexual and physical) of children. i think i will go to that one next weekend...or maybe wednesday night. they probably get a little deeper into their sickness on a smaller, more personal level.

thanks for the suggestions!

What happened with this circularlogic? What did you find?

Archived