IGNORED

Arranged: new tv show

NotALoserLikeYou

Tonight "Arranged" premieres on the FYI channel and it chronicles an American, teenaged gypsy couples first meeting at their wedding.

Next week appears to be about southern Christians. A third couple, Indian Americans, will also be followed.

NEW YORK, NY – March 10, 2015 – FYI’s new original docuseries, “Arranged,†follows modern-American singles from across the country, whose cultural traditions include an arranged marriage, as they are united in matrimony by their families. Eight hour-long episodes are set to premiere on Tuesday, April 14 at 10:15pm ET.

In “Arranged,†three couples from different cultural backgrounds have one thing in common – the belief in arranged marriages. From a young Romani gypsy couple in New York City, to a southern couple from the Bible belt, to a couple raised by traditional Eastern Indian parents living in Los Angeles – these brides and grooms don’t just marry each other, their unions include their entire family. Viewers will see each couple’s relationship from the lead-up to their weddings, to the several months after the reality of married life sinks in.

Even though the marriages stemmed from the heart of their culture, the marital stakes are heightened as the couples do not have the level of intimacy common in most modern marriages. For some, it will be tough to give up their independence and their new roles as husband and wife prove to be more than they bargained for. Pregnancy scares, money concerns and over-protective parents will add even more stress to an already overwhelming situation. Viewers will learn compelling relationship advice as they watch these unique journeys and find out if these couples hold the key to a long-lasting marriage by being arranged.

tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/03/10/fyi-says-i-do-to-new-original-docuseries-arranged-tuesday-april-14th/373474/

fyi.tv/shows/arranged

Glad to see viewers will learn relationship advice :roll:

Something beyond, "Don't do this?"

I watched, and each family was pretty well off. The Southern belle's beau set off a ping or two. The Romani teen was too immature for marriage. I LOL'd when the main concern of his brothers was if a wife would impede their video game playtime. The Indian-American couple seemed like a normal online dating pairing.

The Romani couple seemed like the only truly arranged marriage to me.

Agree!! The other couples have been together for a few years.

Agree!! The other couples have been together for a few years.

Plus it seems they were more "set up" than "arranged." To me arranged means that your parents or a yet a found them and decided you were going to get married. End of story.

How much power does a teenager have to safely say no?

The Roma girl said it wasn't even an option so she didn't even think about it.

What the heck kind of couple did they get from the South?

I couldn't believe it! I am just a state over and when she talked about "all southern girls are like this" I was thinking no the heck they aren't. I actually don't know many like her.

The Roma girl said it wasn't even an option so she didn't even think about it.

Exactly. She didn't consent because she doesn't see herself as autonomous and with rights. How is what happened to her any less than rape?

The boy is in the same position.

2 wrongs don't make 1 right. But it does level the field a bit. Sad all round unless they happen to win the relationship-lottery and the married couple actually fall in love and have a mutual respect for each other.

Plus it seems they were more "set up" than "arranged." To me arranged means that your parents or a yet a found them and decided you were going to get married. End of story.

TLC has "My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding" (honestly, I watch it, it's fascinating/scary, along with "Gypsy Sisters") and they sometimes have arranged marriages like this. There was one where a Romani girl was set to marry her 2nd cousin ("you trust family more!"). She was a trouble maker, hence why she was married off. She thought it was gross she was to marry her older cousin but eventually went through with it. There was also another gypsy girl, I believe Romanichal(?) who was getting up there in age (18) and didn't have a suitor yet, so she held a party for the Elders in hopes of catching family's attention. One Elder eventually said he was interested in her and wanted her to marry one of his younger grandsons (or w/e), and she was really happy.

Is there a board on these shows because I am alll for it!

Also, I think I read an article that said arranged marriages are usually happier/less divorces (which might depend on which country too though) because the two have to learn more about each other and can grow together. This might be wrong but j/w

They can boast less divorce all they want But it is a done deal just like the courtship thing. You cant divorce for any reason. What if one turns abusive, cheating or they just cant stand each other?

How much power does a teenager have to safely say no?

It depends.

Some arranged marriages are really just arranged introductions - the families do the initial finding and screening, and if they agree, the potential couple meet to see if they are compatible. In some groups, it's quite common for people to go through a number of introductions this way before finding someone that they find is truly compatible.

The spectrum also includes "sure, you could theoretically say no, but we will totally pressure/guilt you into saying yes" and "no, we are not asking, we are telling you that you will marry this person who is a total stranger to you".

My great-grandparents had that last type of arranged marriage. According to my grandmother, her two grandfathers sat on a park bench, made the arrangements, and then went home to tell the kids that they were engaged. My great-grandfather was not happy about it, since he actually liked another girl, but his father basically said too bad, he gave his word. They were married 63 years and had several children, but my grandmother didn't think that her father truly loved his mother and she remembered them arguing.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else keeping up with this show?

The last episode was really alarming. The young romani boy is essentially verbally abusing his poor wife. I know the parents say it's how their culture works, but it doesn't seem like either of them are ready for marriage!

The last episode was really alarming. The young romani boy is essentially verbally abusing his poor wife. I know the parents say it's how their culture works, but it doesn't seem like either of them are ready for marriage!

Was totally going to post about this!! I felt so bad for that Romani girl.

I am only watching them. I fast forward through the others.

Yeah, he is out of control. You can tell he was the little prince of their family. They are going to have quite the learning curve.

Archived