IGNORED

Question about Lisa Whelchel

Cleopatra7

I've been watching DVDs of the Facts of Life and I've been wondering when Lisa Whelchel became fundie-ish. I know she refused to be in that episode where Natalie loses her virginity because of her religious beliefs but there are earlier episodes in which she appears that seem more or as controversial, including one about abortion and other where her character declares she is an atheist. Did Whelchel just become more religious over time, so things that didn't bother her before suddenly became offensive?

I know her dad was very religious, and he basically arranged her marriage for her. She gave up acting to be a pastors wife and was miserable until she got divorced a few years ago. She seems a lot nicer now.

There was also a very early episode where her character hid joints in a lipstick tube.

She's divorced? Huh. Guess I missed that!

She was hugely popular with the Focus on the Family and Family Life Today folks about 5-8 years ago. I remember hearing her on the radio fairly regularly when I was listening to those shows. I remember being extremely jealous that her family could afford a big-ass traveling bus and go cross country for a year while their kids homeschooled.

I think she was always somewhat religious even when she was on the show. (I'm 34 but I love watching the reruns on TV). The one where Natalie has sex for the first time was originally suppose to be a story about Blair but Lisa refused to do it do to religious reasons.

I think she was always somewhat religious even when she was on the show. (I'm 34 but I love watching the reruns on TV). The one where Natalie has sex for the first time was originally suppose to be a story about Blair but Lisa refused to do it do to religious reasons.

Basically a female version of Kirk Cameron. Kirk had Julie McCollough and Matthew Perry written out of Growing Pains because they weren't Godly.

Basically a female version of Kirk Cameron. Kirk had Julie McCollough and Matthew Perry written out of Growing Pains because they weren't Godly.

Yeah, Lisa was religious from the get-go. Not all people from Texas are fun dies, but too many of them are and Lisa appears to be one of them.

She did endorse "hot saucing" for lying and/or sassing, but that has been over-dramatized for sure. She literally stated she placed a "drop" on the tip of her finger. Might not be a great idea, but any discipline could be argued against (timeouts humiliate a child, for example.)

She was born into a very religious family. She once said there were episodes she disagreed with, but had a contractual obligation to film. However, she chose to draw the line when they wanted her character to lose her virginity, which I think is commendable.

Her father did NOT arrange her marriage (she was referring to her heavenly Father, hence the capital letter when referring to Him.)

And they didn't own the RV. Lisa got to use it, rent free, in exchange for publicity for the dealer who loaned it to her. But I, too, wished I had the dang time and blessing of driving all around the country for a year.

She did endorse "hot saucing" for lying and/or sassing, but that has been over-dramatized for sure. She literally stated she placed a "drop" on the tip of her finger.

And then put it on the child's tongue, to cause pain, in an attempt to change behavior.

Nasty and mean, and probably not very useful.

It's not 'just' a matter of a little hot sauce, she also recommends things like making a child kneel on rice in the corner. True, she doesn't recommend hitting children, but she's still coming from a mindset that believes the ONLY way to teach a child is to inflict pain. I fail to see how there's much difference between hitting a child and deliberately causing pain in a different way.

She recommends cruel punishments, such as

deny food

deny use of electricity

hand cuff you to another person

blindfold

have stand in a corner with nose high on the wall - if nose drops below a certain line, add to the time, but don't explain why

control use of toilet facilities (even if just to 'make a point who's in charge')

mock you while they do these things to you

This is all in her Creative Correction book. It really is horrible.

No ... No Lisa isn't like Kirk because, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Lisa trying to ban anyone from the show for whatever reason.

So she didn't want her character to have sex... Not a big deal. Lots of actors don't want their characters doing things for less coherent reasons.

I don't agree with her beliefs, and find her discipline methods abominable, but let's get the record straight.

She did endorse "hot saucing" for lying and/or sassing, but that has been over-dramatized for sure. She literally stated she placed a "drop" on the tip of her finger. Might not be a great idea, but any discipline could be argued against (timeouts humiliate a child, for example.)

She was born into a very religious family. She once said there were episodes she disagreed with, but had a contractual obligation to film. However, she chose to draw the line when they wanted her character to lose her virginity, which I think is commendable.

Her father did NOT arrange her marriage (she was referring to her heavenly Father, hence the capital letter when referring to Him.)

And they didn't own the RV. Lisa got to use it, rent free, in exchange for publicity for the dealer who loaned it to her. But I, too, wished I had the dang time and blessing of driving all around the country for a year.

She has had her father pushed her into the marriage

Lisa, a born-again Christian, was just 25 when her father decided it was time for her to get married. He even chose Steve, the much-older associate pastor of their church, to be her suitor.

In her 2001 book, “The Facts of Life,†Lisa wrote that she felt pressured to marry Steve after their engagement was an­nounced in front of the entire congregation – even though she says she hadn’t accepted any of his proposals. Feeling she had no way out, Lisa went through with the wedding, despite admitting she was never attracted to Steve. They tied the knot just two months after her hit TV show ended in 1988.

Here was the list of punishments someone on Amazon posted in the review section or her book.

Lisa recommends:

--blindfolding children for an hour if they roll their eyes

--handcuffing quarreling siblings together

--putting quarreling siblings outside, whether it's 30 degrees or 100 degrees

--making a child wear boxing gloves all day long for hitting; they are not to be removed for eating; as if this isn't enough torture, she recommends videotaping the child trying to eat popcorn with the boxing gloves. This might be appropriate in the context of a family game night, but not in the context of humiliation and punishment.

--burning a few of the child's toys if a child is caught playing with matches (what about putting the matches out of reach or doing some standard fire-safety education?)

--pinching a child's tongue with a clothespin for disrespect

--pouring hot sauce on a child's tongue

--saying "no to reasonable requests such as 'may I go to the bathroom'" in the name of keeping children on their toes in terms of obedience

--restraining a one year old in a car seat if the child won't stay in time out (time out is not appropriate for one year olds to begin with, and, with any child, if time out is not "working," change your strategy-- don't restrain them!)

--making children stand in the center of the room for a long period of time if they are resisting bedtime ("make it tough" she says)

--making a child close the door quietly, like 100 times, for slamming a door

I knew about Julie McCollough's banning, but did not realize Matthew Perry was ever on the show. What part did he play?

Regarding Lisa; It sounds like she's lightened up quite a bit. But, has she said anything about those awful punishments? It'd be nice if she saw the light and admitted they were bad.

Yes Matthew Perry was on Growning Pains (I think it was one of his first acting jobs). But I didn't realize that Kurt Cameron was the reason why he was fired. I knew about the girl though.

I knew about Julie McCollough's banning, but did not realize Matthew Perry was ever on the show. What part did he play?

Regarding Lisa; It sounds like she's lightened up quite a bit. But, has she said anything about those awful punishments? It'd be nice if she saw the light and admitted they were bad.

Matthew Perry played Carol's boyfriend Sandy. He died in a drunk driving accident.

Matthew Perry played Carol's boyfriend Sandy. He died in a drunk driving accident.

Oh, so they killed him off to appease Kirk?

Re. Lisa not getting anyone fired; I don't think she had the power on her show that Kirk had on his. Not saying she would have gotten anyone fired even if she could, just that I don't know if she carried that kind of weight.

Kirk was that show, unfortunately for the producers, and apparently wielded his power. You know, like a good and loving Christian should.

Here was the list of punishments someone on Amazon posted in the review section or her book.

That is just evil!

Humiliation and pain does not do anything except for teach a child that you are not to be trusted. It doesn't teach a child how to behave well, it teaches them to avoid getting caught. It teaches them that it is okay to hurt others if they are smaller than you and are annoying you.

Was just about to post the same thing you did. When Kirk became a Christian he refused to do many of the things that his character was known to do. It really upset the people of the show, having to deal with him as well as dealing w/ Tracy Gold (Carol) eating disorder issue.

Can't they just roll their eyes under the blindfold? I mean I would have...Yes, I was THAT kid.

The quarreling siblings put outside does what? Pretend to get along so mom will let them back in? Same with handcuffs. Though I can see some parents doing this when the quarreling seems to never cease out of desperation for some peace even though it probably won't work.

So they wear boxing gloves for hitting, so they can hit using the gloves intended for hitting? Then make them eat with it because this teaches them...something I guess?

Again, your children play with matches so you use the matches to burn some of their toys, which teaches them...something I guess? Is children playing with matches really a real problem? I just do not remember my siblings or I ever playing with matches and always knowing that it was something that could be dangerous and not a toy. I think we were taught this stuff while still in preschool too.

Pinching tongues...ouch. Why not just be stern and tell them not to disrespect you that way? Punish sure, but pinching the tongue with a clothespin? Just why?

Hot sauce...that's an old one that totally does not work. Never heard anyone say the hot sauce totally worked for me to stop my bad behavior. I would just say I like hot sauce. Yes, I was THAT kid.

She makes her children ask to use the bathroom? Seriously? We never asked that at home. People make their children ask permission to use their own bathroom at home is crazy. Just as crazy as the nutters who make their children ask to get a drink of water as well. I cannot fathom this.

Restraining a one-year-old? For real? They are fucking babies, good fucking sakes. If you feel you need to restrain your babies, you want WAY too much control.

Stand in a corner at bedtime if they won't fall asleep because why exactly? What will this accomplish except that they will grow tired and fall asleep standing in the corner.

Again, what will the closing doors quietly 100 times for slamming the door once do? Slamming the doors is not good for the doors, so opening and closing 100 times for the hell of it probably is not good on the doors either.

Archived