IGNORED

Was Jinger Duggar ever actually GINGER?

Daenerys

Something I always wondered, she's only the sixth child so it's not like they'd run out of normal names beginning with the letter J. If anything, she's the darkest of all the children - I can imagine fair-haired Jana/Jessa/Jill/Joy having been gingery as babies, but not Jinger herself! It seems a very odd choice of name, I wonder why they didn't just call her Jinny...

I remember Michelle saying that she had just always loved the name Ginger and her and JB wanted to name a kid that- but had the J obstacle. So they just changed it up to fit the J theme.

Well, the term ginger for redheads is still mainly a British term, and was nearly not heard at all in connection to redheads in the US when she was born, so I don't see why there is any issue with the name. There are plenty of people with the name Ginger and non red hair. It also can imply spicy, since it is a spice.

Fair enough. In the UK ginger implies 100% that you have red hair (much more common here) and also isn't a very positive thing to name your child. People often get picked on at school for being Ginger, so it's not a characteristic you'd want to forcibly draw extra attention to.

Fair enough. In the UK ginger implies 100% that you have red hair (much more common here) and also isn't a very positive thing to name your child. People often get picked on at school for being Ginger, so it's not a characteristic you'd want to forcibly draw extra attention to.

And the pejorative use of "ginger" here in the US seems to have stemmed from a South Park episode in which Cartman started using it to vilify Kyle and his ilk.

OK, want to hear something funny, I never watch the TV shows, when I first read "Jinger" I thought her name was pronounced to rhyme with singer--you know, jingle-jangle as opposed to ginger.

Is it a sign that I spend too much time on this board when Jinger starts to look right and Ginger looks wrong?

Yeah, the term ginger is a recent import, and still not that common. When the Spice Girls came out, I remember people saying that Ginger Spice was the only one without a "personality" name. To Americans, it just seemed like another name.

Redheads here might be called Red or Big Red, but it's not even a put down. Usually a term of affection or even respect.

Is it a sign that I spend too much time on this board when Jinger starts to look right and Ginger looks wrong?

:lol: I did a double-take, seeing it spelled with a "G!" It looks so odd now.

I almost wish they would have done with another G name just so Jinger wouldn't be so weird within her own family. There is an actress named Jorga, but I think it would be hilarious to have a Jorje. I'm also surprised they never had a Jeffrey because that can spelled with a G or J. I've also Jillian with a G but never just Jill.

I've thought that before, too; it just seems so odd to call a child a version of Ginger when they don't have ginger hair. And to be honest, even called a child Ginger seems a bit strange, because over here it's a nickname (not in the US sense of a diminutive), and not a very positive one at that. For some reason having red/orange hair is seen as being a bad thing, and some children get picked on for having it.

Just read the rest of the thread. I never realised that ginger didn't usually = red/orange hair in the US!

I never heard red haired people called a ginger before coming onto the FJ board. I couldn't figure out why people were commenting on Steve Loomis or Noah Saunders as a 'ginger'.

I saw an interview with Prince William where he jokingly called his brother a ginger. At the time, I thought he was using a rare term for redhead to be funny. Now I realize that I was wrong and, although he wasn't being mean, the term is not as unusual in the UK as it is in the US.

Guest Anonymous
Yeah, the term ginger is a recent import, and still not that common. When the Spice Girls came out, I remember people saying that Ginger Spice was the only one without a "personality" name. To Americans, it just seemed like another name.

Redheads here might be called Red or Big Red, but it's not even a put down. Usually a term of affection or even respect.

My mom calls me "big red", the red welsh corgi is "the Red Menace" and my son who is a strawberry blonde has been dubbed "the Ginger Shrimp" by my father in law.

We're very pro ginger in this house..... (even though my brother in law JOKINGLY asks me if R has a soul.... )

It's also kind of ironic because of the running joke / internet meme that 'gingers have no souls' and will consume the souls of non-gingers. I can't imagine fundys being too down with that...

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ginger

*A lot of ginger people find this funny; my ginger housemate proudly proclaims that she has taken all our souls and makes me join tongue in cheek FB groups about victims of gingers.

Well, the term ginger for redheads is still mainly a British term, and was nearly not heard at all in connection to redheads in the US when she was born, so I don't see why there is any issue with the name. There are plenty of people with the name Ginger and non red hair. It also can imply spicy, since it is a spice.

Not true! I am a 20 something red head and I have been called "Ginger" "Ginger Snap" "Ginger Bread" my whole life and I live in the heart of the bible belt...........

I think she named her Ginger because she has a secret obsession with Gilligans Island and was once defrauded by the Professor as a young girl. Yea- sounds plausible :)

Not true! I am a 20 something red head and I have been called "Ginger" "Ginger Snap" "Ginger Bread" my whole life and I live in the heart of the bible belt...........

I think she named her Ginger because she has a secret obsession with Gilligans Island and was once defrauded by the Professor as a young girl. Yea- sounds plausible :)

It's a bit funny though there are some very obvious J-names they haven't used like Julia/Julie, Jamie (maybe too close to James?) Jessica (maybe too close to Jessa?) Jacob, Jonah, or Jeffery

JB wanted Jordyn to be named Julie Grace but he got out voted and I read somewhere they considered Jessica for I think for Jennifer but decided it was to similar to Jessa.

JB wanted Jordyn to be named Julie Grace but he got out voted and I read somewhere they considered Jessica for I think for Jennifer but decided it was to similar to Jessa.

Well, they have a Joy-Anna and a Johannah... Even James and Jason sound a lot alike.

I went to a Catholic girls school and we had a family whose 8 daughters all attended over the years. And every single one if them was named Mary 'Something' and went by their middle names. And no one thought a thing about it, or at least no one said they did. I personally thought it was a bit strange, but their parents were pretty darn Catholic.

Archived