IGNORED

Real definition/meaning of the Proverbs 31 woman

lilah

By rachel held evans

http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/3-thing ... roverbs-31

Not breaking the link because Rachel's cool like that. Anyway I thogught her analysis of what the proverb really meant was very interesting.

Thanks for the link. I agree with much of what she says, and it's also interesting for me to realize how some Christians interpret parts of the Hebrew Bible very differently than I do.

Her point about Prov. 31 being aimed at men was spot-on. Yes, my husband does have it memorized!

From my POV, I don't believe that anything in the Book of Proverbs is intended to create commandments. There's a lot of poetry and very emphatic language throughout the book, and it basically reads as a series of advice and lectures.

I also can't understand why Prov. 31 is always associated with housewives. Clearly, it describes a woman who negotiates to buy land, plants a vinyard, runs a separate clothing business and sells her goods in the market. She has domestic help. If anything, she's the ancient version of the working mom with child care.

I like Rachel Held Evans and now I like her even more!

eshet chayil, Rachel,eshet chayil .

Thanks for the link. I agree with much of what she says, and it's also interesting for me to realize how some Christians interpret parts of the Hebrew Bible very differently than I do.

Her point about Prov. 31 being aimed at men was spot-on. Yes, my husband does have it memorized!

From my POV, I don't believe that anything in the Book of Proverbs is intended to create commandments. There's a lot of poetry and very emphatic language throughout the book, and it basically reads as a series of advice and lectures.

I also can't understand why Prov. 31 is always associated with housewives. Clearly, it describes a woman who negotiates to buy land, plants a vinyard, runs a separate clothing business and sells her goods in the market. She has domestic help. If anything, she's the ancient version of the working mom with child care.

Glad you said some Christians. I'm Christian, and my personal view of Proverbs is same as you said (bold above). But I realize that there are others who look at Proverbs differently.

I also can't understand the idea of the Proverbs 31 woman being viewed as some Biblical SAHW/SAHM. Does not compute.

Exactly what Apple1 and 2xx1xy1JD said.

The proverb by definition is a wise saying, or axiom. It's not synonymous with commandment.

I've been meaning to look up the conservative Lutheran commentary on Proverbs 31, don't have my annotated Bible with me right now. Kind of concerned as to what I'm going to find… Will report back one way or the other!

Before I started exploring the fundie Christian rabbit hole I didn't realize that there actually were Christians who read Proverbs literally. I didn't even know that there were Christians who used Paul's letter to the Ephesians as a way to justify absolute male power.

For all this talk of them being Biblical, these kinds of literal readings of wisdom literature or advice in certain historical contexts are pretty new and modern.

I tried to correct someone once, about something the Bible said in the Hebrew format. My dad and I had been discussing it earlier, and it was weird that it popped up later. Anyway, the woman totally brushed me off. I can't remember her exact wording, but clearly it was wrong, I was wrong, the Hebrew was wrong... something. She was going with what her pastor and her bible said.

Glad you said some Christians. I'm Christian, and my personal view of Proverbs is same as you said (bold above). But I realize that there are others who look at Proverbs differently.

I also can't understand the idea of the Proverbs 31 woman being viewed as some Biblical SAHW/SAHM. Does not compute.

I always was rather fond of much of Proverbs and I always found it to be the most "relatable" book of the Bible, if there is one. One verse has always stuck with me (4:23, Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts). One of my friends (atheist/UU) posted it on her blog, stand alone, as it was a comfort to her (she has extreme anxiety, social anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia, all properly diagnosed and she is bravely open about it) and I watched my other friend (atheist, 3 years older than the other girl) attempt to rip her to shreds for posting it because it was a)of a religious "misogynist" source (now, we can talk all day about whether the entire Bible, canon and non is misogynist but I think this verse can stand on its own) and b) was supposedly victim blaming and didn't express any modern understanding of mental illness (while completely ignoring the reason the the original blogger was fond of it). After this fiasco, it became my favorite verse (and also the only one I know.)

I find it strange when anybody, but mostly fundies, holds up one book of the Bible in a be-all-end-all-life-advice kind of way. This kind of thing actually made it difficult for me to figure out what Titus WAS because googling it often just led to blogs/companies/workbooks on following Titus 2.

As for the article, I think its very interesting and really the only dissent I've read on what a Proverbs 31 women is meant to be (then again, I read all the fundie blogs, soooo). I suspect my grandfather, who fancies himself a feminist biblical scholar and historian, might enjoy it. :)

Archived