IGNORED

Lori Alexander took our advice

...on her hideous living room. It got quite the spruce.

Also, the sun sanitizes. Next time I use the bathroom, I'm just going to put my hands in the sun instead of actually washing them.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit her living room does look better. Just replacing that nasty carpet did wonders. With two cats, though, I do hope she decides that vacuuming only once a week isn't quite enough, even if the carpet doesn't show anything. Mine doesn't, either, but thanks to my two cats I vacuum at least every other day.

FWIW, sunlight is something of a disinfectant. I wouldn't take it as far as Lori probably does, though. 8-)

That looks so much nicer! I personally hate the carpet in our dining area/hallway, but I can't afford to change it just yet. I don't care how much you vacuum and shampoo, carpet simply cannot be thoroughly cleaned.

Sunshine does have disinfectant properties (like when you line dry clothing), but I'm not sure it works the same in a house. That said, I agree with her re: sunny homes. I love having lots of natural light in my home. It really does make things cheerier.

Does she always throw around prices like that? Maybe it's common for her area but $4500 for a sofa and loveseat, fifteen years ago, seems really high to me. Maybe she thinks she showing off her bargain hunting skills, but she comes off as a braggart to me.

As for her writing; reading her posts takes me back to when I was proofreading my kids' book reports - when they were in sixth grade. For someone as arrogant and self righteous as she is, I kind of expect better writing skills.

I liked the re-do, but had to laugh at the "only" $1500 part. The lady is clueless, isn't she?

Given that Ken made a big deal of how much she spent for the sofas years ago, I suspect that is a jab at him more than anything else.

Given that he mentioned them when he was in here, I'm betting they have been a point of contention for years... and this gives her a chance to say "fuck you" to ken.

I believe there are people spending assloads of money on furniture, possibly in Lorri's neighborhood, who would wonder why she bothered to recover instead of donating when there are furniture stores everywhere. I think Ken may try to control the money pretty tightly, because when he was first in here and we were debating about complementarian vs egalitarian marriages, he pointed out that if one partner made all or more of the money, how could you have a egalitarian marriage?-- so the money as power idea seems to be present in their relationship. And, if he's retirement ready at 55, they probably have not spent it all as he made it. His daughter's wedding was at a public golf course, not at a country club, as I recall. ANd, as someone who never joined a country club , I have no problem with that, but it suggests to me a conservative spending pattern for what he may have earned (which is all conjecture, really) But I suspect the price information was aimed at Ken-- (either to poke him about her long ago expensive couch purchase or to portray him to their neighbors/friends as cheap.)

I liked the re-do, but had to laugh at the "only" $1500 part. The lady is clueless, isn't she?

Completely. I just recently bought new furniture for my living room, partly financed by my mother as a family Christmas gift. Total (on sale, of course, we never pay full price for anything! LOL) for sofa, love seat, chair and three tables was less than Lori paid to recover those two pieces. And if Mom hadn't helped, I wouldn't have bought any of it, we'd still be sitting on the old, cat-clawed sofa and yard-sale love seat. Lori just doesn't get it. :roll:

r1IP4KR.gif

Just reacting to the thread title. :D

:laughing-rolling: Flawless use of .gif! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ooh, I'm at level eleventy!!!11!! :dance:

Does she always throw around prices like that? Maybe it's common for her area but $4500 for a sofa and loveseat, fifteen years ago, seems really high to me. Maybe she thinks she showing off her bargain hunting skills, but she comes off as a braggart to me.

And that is why she'll never understand why some women NEED to work outside of the home. She has led a very sheltered, cushy life and she steadfastly refuses to open her eyes to the lives and/or suffering of others. The only thing that matters to her is, frankly..HER.

I saw the title and thought she had locked her blog down so us meanies couldn't snark on her anymore.

autocorrect wants to change snark to shark.

I choked on my drink when I read "only" $1500 part. That's a lot of money for most people. I could find a decent used couch for a tenth of that price.

I have a feeling that Lori has always been a spoiled, overly-indulged twit who has no idea what it's like to struggle paycheck to paycheck and stretch a dollar until it screams.

And even with the expensive upgrade, Lori's living room still looks like a hotel lobby.

I choked on my drink when I read "only" $1500 part. That's a lot of money for most people. I could find a decent used couch for a tenth of that price.

I have a feeling that Lori has always been a spoiled, overly-indulged twit who has no idea what it's like to struggle paycheck to paycheck and stretch a dollar until it screams.

And even with the expensive upgrade, Lori's living room still looks like a hotel lobby.

My mom got a practically new LazyBoy sofa, love seat, and recliner at a yard sale several years back. It was in perfect condition. $600 for all of it. I can't believe Lori paid $1500 to cover something that the cat has spent lord knows how many years puking on. Nice.

Considering she lives in one of the highest cost of living places in california I would say for certain she is used to a cushy life.

Sunlight is a disinfectant, and can be used to decontaminate drinking water (assuming the water is either relatively clean to begin with, or has been through a few recycling methods before exposed): SODIS.

The biggest problem with SODIS is the potential for human error - often a failure to follow proper procedures or a failure to recognize the system's limitations. (That last kind of failure could occur with Lori if she doesn't respect just how dangerous blackwater actually is.)

Lori's been on my mind since I read her blog this morning and posted on this thread. Here's the thing - well, two things- that strike me about Lori. First, she is the poster child for passive-aggressiveness. She hates her husband, but must be submissive (Bible!) and so makes public jabs at him in the guise of being a good wife.

But, more importantly (because I could give a shit that she hates her husband), there is not one ounce of gratefulness in anything she preaches. Nothing. I don't fault them for having a cushy life, but there is no acknowledgement on her part that she has been "blessed" (hate that word, but can't think of a better one right now...maybe "gifted") with a standard of living that most people will never enjoy. Instead, she takes great joy in judging others based on her belief that everyone's reality is the same as hers. What is Christian about that?

:laughing-rolling: Flawless use of .gif! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Glad you liked it.

Once I made it, I saved it -- I think Marie Dressler's double take is worth having handy! :lol:

It's an improvement, but still dull.

It took her how long to figure out cat hairballs? :mouse-shock: :mouse-shock:

It's an improvement, but still dull.

It took her how long to figure out cat hairballs? :mouse-shock: :mouse-shock:

It is a tasteless, boring and utter bourgeois interior.

The only thing really decorative is the cat.

Glad you liked it.

Once I made it, I saved it -- I think Marie Dressler's double take is worth having handy! :lol:

Her reply to Harlow after she says something about machines taking the place of every profession is scathingly brilliant. "My dear, that's something you need never worry about." :lol:

Oh, how I love old Hollywood. :D

It is a tasteless, boring and utter bourgeois interior.

The only thing really decorative is the cat.

Which is why I don't post pics of my house.... cause I don't even have a cat... :whistle:

Which is why I don't post pics of my house.... cause I don't even have a cat... :whistle:

My decorating style is college sophomore.

But hey, we have cats!

My decorating style is second hand but we call it eclectic..... :whistle:

Archived