IGNORED

What's up with the Muncks?

VictoriaLucas

Anybody have any idea what is going on with the Muncks? Their last few blog posts have been mysterious. First, a few posts ago, Mama Munck talked about how life has changed in the past year, and how she wants to "keep it real". And that the blog doesn't "feel like home" anymore.

And then the next post is all about eating crow, and that she's "happy to be free from the bondage that "I'll never" placed me in."

Today she posted snow pictures, and Elizabeth is wearing jeans, and the little girls are wearing snow pants. I'm glad to not see skirts out in the snow.

So, what I'm wondering (hoping) is if they've seen the light, and are going back to being more fundi-lite. What do y'all think?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been wondering what was up too. For me it started when Mama Munck answered a question about her newly married daughter. IMO her reply sounded really defensive. Then all the one photograph posts. Now this. I'm not sure what is up with them but like you I hope they are turning away from "fundie level: Maxwell".

I've though the blog has been weird lately too. I blamed it on their lack of home internet and thus lack of blogging time. I have wondered why they wouldn't get satellite internet or something similar. Glad to see that they wore sensible pants in the snow. I can't imagine sledding in a skirt.

That's a really nice picture of Liz. Kind of makes me want to frame a print ann mail it to Joe.

Ha! With the quote "something to consider".

Perhaps the combined forces of Steve Maxwell, Bill Gothard, and Doug Phillips have pushed her disgust meter to its outer limit. I know they have mine...

Were they Gothardites? Maybe that opened their eyes.

They were at one of the Vision Forum seminars. I don't remember seeing them post anything specific about ATI

Yep, I think you're right. They flirted with fundamentalism but I think their brush with the Maxwells was a real shock and they've been slowly finding their way back ever since. I hope they keep updating.

IIRC they started out blogging at the time they were changing from fundielite to true fundie, culminating in Elizabeth getting engaged to Joseph Maxwell after meeting him 3 times. At that point they were in very deep but still seemed to have more hoy about life than the Maxwell's (which is extremely easy) and that engagement broke up 1 week before the wedding.

Since there blog is Munck's Quiver I think they must have accepted some Quiverfull teachings at one point even though they weren't officially Gothardites. I'd be interested to know if they were leaving fundamentalism because its almost an entire process we can chart on their blog. However their personal difficulties may have nothing to do with DPIAT or Gothard's issues but might be closer to home. I'm wary of snow pants as an indicator of fundidom.

I've just looked back through the last year or so of their blog and did see 2 or 3 pictures of the little girls wearing pants. Maybe they are being practical and the little girls are wearing hand-me-down from their older sisters? The Munck girls wore pants in the early day s of their blog I believe. I am not a fashion expert so I can't say if these pants (and a pair of overalls) look to be ~20 years old.

I believe they became quiverful after the dad had cancer. The 5th child on down (I think, don't quote me) are reversal babies.

I also was wondering what the deal was and almost started a post myself. I thought that maybe it was in reference to this page... meaning about her not posting as much, trying to be real, etc. but then I realized there were really no posts about them on here, just the Maxwells and their association with them. I'm hoping it means that they've seen the light but who knows. I hope Liz doesn't turn into the likes of Sarah Maxwell though.

Mama Munck got upset last year when someone asked if the girls wore pants(or if they were forced not to). She said the girls had plenty of pants and mostly wore them at work at the Doggie Daycare.

I don't think Dad Munck was ever snipped. They sound more like Kelly and Gil. They were Christian and wanted 2 kids and then decided after experience the miracle of life how could they not take as many as they could have. They were worried the chemo and other cancer treatments might have left that father sterile but they have had 4 more kids, so I guess not.

I thought the farm was going to make them more fundie? Some reason made them sell their dream house and move to a simple life? Mama Munck loved to show off pictures of the house, now the farm house, we have not seen? It was a 2 room farmhouse to start so how did they fit 12 people in it? It does appear from the recent post, they may have made a second floor by the new dormer? and they did add one room on the side. I don't think they were in need for money. I only money question I have ever had after reading the entire blog was how they pay for Jonathan's medical care. He has been very very sick over the years and has a feeding tube, multiple surgeries and hospitalizations. I do believe Elizabeth is Jonathan's caregiver and that is why she is there.

I am also very curious about Amanda and Joe. They were planning on opening their own pet grooming business? Im surprised we haven't seen any pictures of her apartment/home or her pet business.

Boy, time flies.

Amanda and Joe were married last May 15, almost a whole year has gone by already. I'd like to see another quick update on these two, hope all is going well with them.

Dad had cancer and the prospect of infertility was a real concern for them.

I think there's been a number of factors that encouraged their descent into full blown fundyism but that they snapped out of it when they came so close to loosing Liz to Maxhell.

I hope they continue the journey of self examination.

Mrs. Munck was considering the thought of closing down the blog...but had a change of heart. I'm glad. I really enjoy their themed trees and colorful bday parties. Is Amanda Munck the only fundie bride who isn't pregnant within a year of marriage? Wow, that's new and I hope they have been enjoying themselves! :)

Maybe Amanda isn't all that fundie? If the family is coming out of it, perhaps she was ready to abandon it as soon as she was out of the house.

What do we know about Amanda's hubby? Joe? I can't remember his name ....

Side note, but did Liz/JM seriously only meet THREE times before they got engaged?

Mama Munck got upset last year when someone asked if the girls wore pants(or if they were forced not to). She said the girls had plenty of pants and mostly wore them at work at the Doggie Daycare.

I don't think Dad Munck was ever snipped. They sound more like Kelly and Gil. They were Christian and wanted 2 kids and then decided after experience the miracle of life how could they not take as many as they could have. They were worried the chemo and other cancer treatments might have left that father sterile but they have had 4 more kids, so I guess not.

I thought the farm was going to make them more fundie? Some reason made them sell their dream house and move to a simple life? Mama Munck loved to show off pictures of the house, now the farm house, we have not seen? It was a 2 room farmhouse to start so how did they fit 12 people in it? It does appear from the recent post, they may have made a second floor by the new dormer? and they did add one room on the side. I don't think they were in need for money. I only money question I have ever had after reading the entire blog was how they pay for Jonathan's medical care. He has been very very sick over the years and has a feeding tube, multiple surgeries and hospitalizations. I do believe Elizabeth is Jonathan's caregiver and that is why she is there.

I am also very curious about Amanda and Joe. They were planning on opening their own pet grooming business? Im surprised we haven't seen any pictures of her apartment/home or her pet business.

I have wondered about that too and other things in regards to Jonathan. IIRC, Elizabeth also serves as his teacher and I've wondered if the Muncks have received help from public schools or other public resources for Jonathan's education. But I get the feeling that they have been offered the help, but didn't take it. As for Jonathan's medical care, I think they could be receiving public assistance, but they might not admit it on the blog or publicly. They were connected to VF for several years and I recall Dougie preached against forms of public assistance quite a bit. We also can't forget about the Zimmerman family in Alaska who refused to take Medicare when they had a preemie who qualified for assistance. Then a few years later, the family raised a 100k to pay off a remaining NICU bill. I have also wondered if Jonathan is involved in any outreach or community programs for people with disabilities like Easter Seals, Special Olympics, etc.

What do we know about Amanda's hubby? Joe? I can't remember his name ....

Side note, but did Liz/JM seriously only meet THREE times before they got engaged?

Joe Burke. They're young and I don't know how he's supporting him. I think he worked for them and they now live a few hours away.

I've been wondering the same thing -- are they pulling their heads out a little after the near miss marrying one of their daughters into Maxhell? And certainly if they actually WANTED internet at their farmhouse, they'd be able to figure out a way to do it. I enjoyed the photos of their old house, too, and wish they would share more of their new home.

Amanda has a pinterest:

Nothing interesting. Country decor, God, guns, and future baby clothes

pinterest.com/JoeAmandaBurke/

Elizabeth's:

Likes old Hollywood, books, humor, and travel (And she was going to marry a Maxwell?)

pinterest.com/elizabethmunck/

Rebekah's:

Enjoys fashion and christian music

pinterest.com/bekahmunck/

Many of Amanda's followers/who she is following are from a town in South Carolina so one could assume they live there.

Also going through the followers and their FB links shows some Muncks and Burkes, but none have pics or anything about the couple.

They have a blogger profile but no blog. Confirms South Carolina:

blogger.com/profile/13479633123574887387

I certainly hope that Elizabeth's near miss was a wake up call for them. When Amanda got married IIRC it didn't have the ring of being a courtship like Elizabeth's with only a few meetings. And they certainly like to have fun. Very un-Maxwell like. I would certainly love to know what it was like for them dealing with Steveovah but they seem to have kept very quiet since the cancelled wedding.

Archived