IGNORED

Re-Homing Adopted Children on TV

Boogalou

There was recently two plots on Law & Order SVU and Criminal Minds on using the internet to "re-home" children and the dangers and lack of laws surrounding that. I just thought it was interesting that the same issue was highlighted on two shows so close together. I think it's good that the issue is getting some more attention in the mainstream media. It was also good that both shows commented on how there were really no laws surrounding these things and keeping kids safe. The episodes are Gabby on Criminal Minds and Wednesday's Child. Did anyone else see them?

Do you think things like this effectively bring issues to the public's attention? On the one hand I think any exposure is good but I also worry that people will see this as very rare and not really important to take steps against.

There was recently two plots on Law & Order SVU and Criminal Minds on using the internet to "re-home" children and the dangers and lack of laws surrounding that. I just thought it was interesting that the same issue was highlighted on two shows so close together. I think it's good that the issue is getting some more attention in the mainstream media. It was also good that both shows commented on how there were really no laws surrounding these things and keeping kids safe. The episodes are Gabby on Criminal Minds and Wednesday's Child. Did anyone else see them?

Do you think things like this effectively bring issues to the public's attention? On the one hand I think any exposure is good but I also worry that people will see this as very rare and not really important to take steps against.

I saw the Law & Order one. I do think that the episode brought to light what sometimes happen.

I didn't see either episode, but I am very happy to hear the issue was addressed even in a fictional context on shows with such high ratings.

The word needs to be spread for the issue to gain traction and start to be addressed. Anything that brings this issue greater public awareness should be encouraged to reach different audiences.

What is re-homing?

Basically, it's finding a new "home" for a child who has been recently adopted. The adoptive parents are overwhelmed (and that's being generous) and they find a new place for the kid to live. The new home is often found through the internet and there is really no oversight over the process so you can imagine that these kids are often placed in pretty terrible situations. That's probably a bit simplistic but if you are interested I found a couple of articles:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-m-si ... 43583.html

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/ado ... icle/part1

Basically, it's finding a new "home" for a child who has been recently adopted. The adoptive parents are overwhelmed (and that's being generous) and they find a new place for the kid to live. The new home is often found through the internet and there is really no oversight over the process so you can imagine that these kids are often placed in pretty terrible situations. That's probably a bit simplistic but if you are interested I found a couple of articles:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-m-si ... 43583.html

http://www.reuters.com/investigates/ado ... icle/part1

Thank you

The Criminal Minds episode did end with the re-homing family, but it made me uncomfortable. I'm not sure what to say - it reduced everyone to pure good or evil, and threw in extra stereotypes to really make sure you got it. This is the first episode I've ever seen all of, and while I'm glad they pointed out the need for legislation, I don't think I'll continue watching it.

Was the Law & Order as sensationalized?

The Criminal Minds episode did end with the re-homing family, but it made me uncomfortable. I'm not sure what to say - it reduced everyone to pure good or evil, and threw in extra stereotypes to really make sure you got it. This is the first episode I've ever seen all of, and while I'm glad they pointed out the need for legislation, I don't think I'll continue watching it.

Was the Law & Order as sensationalized?

No, the Law & Order one was a lot better in my opinion and I highly suggest watching it because it explores the issue pretty well (for a TV show). In L&O it was actually about a couple struggling with adoption and the issues were a lot more realistic. For anyone wondering, in Criminal Minds someone staged an abduction to extract revenge then gave the kid away to a family so the mother would always have to live with the knowledge of not knowing what happened to her child. So, yeah, pretty sensationalized.

I'm a bit disappointed, usually I think Criminal Minds does a very good job with current topics, I liked the episode about the cult leader/Jonestown type.

I love Criminal Minds, it's one of my favorite shows, but yeah, I wasn't all that excited about this episode. I'd like to see the Law & Order one though, so I think I'm going to look for it tonight (or Monday, when we're apparently going to be snowbound again :x )

Re: Criminal Minds

I disliked that the "bad couple" was unattractive. The woman was morbidly obese and the guy was skanky looking. That said, the couple in (one of the many) articles in real news did have a similar appearance.

I agree that the SVU show handled it better. The mother wasn't evil, she was overwhelmed. The scary part of that show was the reunification, IMO. The mother gave her child away, now she has him back and doesn't want him back.

The mom in the blog, Smiles and Trials, has gotten three of her daughters through disrupted adoptions. Even though she has a massive family, the girls seem to be loved and doing well.

Archived