IGNORED

Fundies adopt triplets, have twins in same year

16strong

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... l#comments

I saw this article on DM. Infertile couple adopts, then finds out they are expecting. After staring at the article for a minute and realizing the wife was wearing a long skirt, and the husband a suit, I wondered if they were fundies. So, I Googled the church (Eastland Baptist), and saw that it appears, indeed, to be a fundie church. A rather large one, too. Interesting. I haven't looked them up on social media yet, but thoughts?

Wow, I can't imagine how unbelievably difficult it would be to have 5 babies at once. I'm sure they're feeling very grateful, though. I don't know how fundie they are, but it doesn't sound like they were planning to have a huge family. They were expecting to have just one baby, and that turned into five in a year just by chance.

Wow, I can't imagine how unbelievably difficult it would be to have 5 babies at once. I'm sure they're feeling very grateful, though. I don't know how fundie they are, but it doesn't sound like they were planning to have a huge family. They were expecting to have just one baby, and that turned into five in a year just by chance.

Neighbor of mine. Had a one year old and was adopting a baby girl from china. She discovered she was pregnant with twins that were born 3 months before they brought the baby girl home. By then the one year old was 2ish, maybe nearly 3. Then, one day i saw her in the yard and thought "NO!!" Surprise, she was pregnant again and again, with twins.

she had 6 under 6 and my first thought was "better her than me...

That's a sweet story. But you can't tell if someone is a fundie because they wear a dress and go to a Baptist church. lol

Take a look at the pics on the church website. Most or all of the women that attend wear skirts. And not just for Sunday service. Not your average Baptist church. Granted they seem a lot more modern than the Duggars/Bates/ilk, but they still ping my meter as some kind of fundie lite. Anyways, I just thought that it was interesting, considering that it's a relatively large congregation.

Fundy. They have a joint FB account, listing self-employed & homeschool. Not much on there, but the pics they posted have lots of "God has blessed you" type comments, bible verses & such.

Edited to add: FB friends with Faith & Hannah Morie. One of the Morie sisters (Cherish) went to Hephzibah house I believe.

That's a sweet story. But you can't tell if someone is a fundie because they wear a dress and go to a Baptist church. lol

Most baptists I know would actually call themselves fundamentalist Christians.

And I am not sure it is a sweet story,

Wow, theyre going to be busy! I cant say I would want that many babies at once, but they seem happy and thankful to have that many :)

Wow, theyre going to be busy! I cant say I would want that many babies at once, but they seem happy and thankful to have that many :)

Have to agree they do seem happy!

I saw this on the news! I was wondering if they were fundies. I couldn't tell if she was in skirts from the pictures, and when I googled their church I wasn't sure if it was just regular baptist or fundie baptist. Their church looks to be huge.

Have to agree they do seem happy!

Of course they "SEEM" happy. They can't seem anything else. They may actually be happy to have so many children but they must also be exhuasted and frustrated much of the time.

Most baptists I know would actually call themselves fundamentalist Christians.

And I am not sure it is a sweet story,

There are all kinds of Baptists, just like there are all kinds of Catholics or any other denomination. They can't be that fundie if they would have done IVF. I loved the story and thought it was very sweet. It's awesome.

How did they ever get triplets in the first place? Private adoption you think?

They couldn't afford IVF, so they went the adoption route. First they got placed with a birth mother. When the adoptive and birth mother went together for an ultrasound, they found out that she was carrying triplets.

There are all kinds of Baptists, just like there are all kinds of Catholics or any other denomination. They can't be that fundie if they would have done IVF. I loved the story and thought it was very sweet. It's awesome.

I know lots of people who would call themselves fundamentalist that do ivf. Personally I think it was irresponsible to not use some method of birth control when they discovered they would be adopting triplets. I get to have a different opinion.

I know lots of people who would call themselves fundamentalist that do ivf. Personally I think it was irresponsible to not use some method of birth control when they discovered they would be adopting triplets. I get to have a different opinion.

It sounds like they had given up on conceiving after a long time trying, so I don't know why they would use birth control. They also thought initially they would be adopting one baby and then the babies' birth mother found out she was having triplets. To me this really sounds completely different than the fundie families who adopt multiple (often non-related) kids at a time while trying to have as many pregnancies as possible as well.

It sounds like they had given up on conceiving after a long time trying, so I don't know why they would use birth control. They also thought initially they would be adopting one baby and then the babies' birth mother found out she was having triplets. To me this really sounds completely different than the fundie families who adopt multiple (often non-related) kids at a time while trying to have as many pregnancies as possible as well.

It is irresponsible to rely on infertility for contraception.

Maybe they don't mind having a lot of kids. I don't see why they would use contraception if they want a big family. I would have had a boat load of kids if my ex husband was on board with it.

Maybe they don't mind having a lot of kids. I don't see why they would use contraception if they want a big family. I would have had a boat load of kids if my ex husband was on board with it.

Ok.

It is my opinion it is unfair to both their triplets and their twins that they were irresponsible. We snark all the time on people have baby after baby. How is this different? Even if they weren't fundies I would still hold this to be unfair and irresponsible. Having twins 8 months after triplets may not have the physical risk when one set is adopted, but it isn't any different other than that. If there were two years between them? sure. But there aren't. And this isn't any better of a choice than the breeding mortons.

When you have been dealing with infertility for years, and have been told you can't get pregnant, BC is really not at the top of your priority list, believe me.

They got incredibly lucky to have those twins, and so what if they already had the triplets? They have help and a community that supports them. It isn't like a family with no means or a struggling single mom wound up with 5 kids at once. And even if it was a situation like that, it would still be their choice to have those kids or not.

One can still be hoping for a pregnancy, even while pursuing adoption. The two are not mutually exclusive.

One can still be hoping for a pregnancy, even while pursuing adoption. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Agreed. But when it turns into triplets I think you have to reconsider it.

I fell into the primary infertility category so it isn't as if I don't have experience in this. It is my opinion that it was unfair and irresponsible to not use contraception once it appeared that the intended adoption would be of triplets.

I get others don't see it that way. I am sure there are many reasons we have different perspectives. This is mine.

When you have been dealing with infertility for years, and have been told you can't get pregnant, BC is really not at the top of your priority list, believe me.

They got incredibly lucky to have those twins, and so what if they already had the triplets? They have help and a community that supports them. It isn't like a family with no means or a struggling single mom wound up with 5 kids at once. And even if it was a situation like that, it would still be their choice to have those kids or not.

All those things are true for many of the families who are judged for their baby making here.

Not getting it really. I had numerous IVF cycles before a success, it never occurred to me at any point to take birth control. Not after the birth, not now. If I had a natural pregnancy it would have been brilliant, granted I suppose if I had become pregnant six weeks after my daughters birth I suppose by this logic I might be seen as irresponsible?

I think the people we snark on here for their baby making, do so deliberately. Actively seek to have that many. The Gosselin woman. Duggars. The ones who have more than they can feed deliberately.

This couple though it seems more a set of unrelated circumstances rather than a deliberate act, reading the story on the surface. Get matched with a birth Mother who then has triplets. Pretty unusual. Then becoming pregnant with twins naturally after being told you are infertile? Again pretty unusual.

I just can't see why after being told you are infertile that just on the absolute off chance you may get pregnant and are adopting that you would decide to take BC.

I suppose though if it at some point in the future they carry on producing or are actively seeking to do so right now I'd change my mind. On the surface I just think good luck to them.

Archived