IGNORED

Duck Dynasty. they write a christian book they can't live by

doggie

As an atheist, if I had badly beaten someone up and I was financially well off enough where I could hire someone to find the people I had badly hurt years ago so I could tell them that I was sorry, I would. You really wouldn't?

If I was a racists who tried to keep black people from having equality, would I still be nice if I started a soup kitchen to feed the people I was trying to keep from equality?

I don't hate on all Christians but I'm not going to pretend that people who use their religious beliefs to repress and be hateful to a group of people are loving and kind.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As an atheist, if I had badly beaten someone up and I was financially well off enough where I could hire someone to find the people I had badly hurt years ago so I could tell them that I was sorry, I would. You really wouldn't?

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? In order for it to be okay in your eyes for Phil to be a part of Korie and her mother's "forgiving and kindness" venture, he would have to hire someone to find the man he beat up 40 years ago and apologize to him. Never mind that he gave the man his life savings after it happened. If the man was one of principle, he would have pressed charges instead of taking their money to keep quiet. Even if he didn't give the man his life savings, I can't believe you said the above with a straight face. Nor can I believe that you lumped Korie and her mother into all this.

In high school, I beat up an African American girl. She bullied me for months. My mother told me that I was not allowed to fight her. It was an inner city high school that was predominately black. There were racial riots. It only took one fight between two people to trigger the riots. One day in art class, she poured red paint on my chair. I sat down. It wasn't pretty. I ignored it and went home. My mother had enough. She told me to make the bullying stop and I was allowed to fight her if it came to that. The next day, the girl was making fun of me for the red paint on my pants. I beat her up. She never bothered me again. So because I'm a Christian, am I supposed to hire someone to find the girl I beat up in high school so I can apologize to her?

In high school, I beat up an African American girl. She bullied me for months. My mother told me that I was not allowed to fight her. It was an inner city high school that was predominately black. There were racial riots. It only took one fight between two people to trigger the riots. One day in art class, she poured red paint on my chair. I sat down. It wasn't pretty. I ignored it and went home. My mother had enough. She told me to make the bullying stop and I was allowed to fight her if it came to that. The next day, the girl was making fun of me for the red paint on my pants. I beat her up. She never bothered me again. So because I'm a Christian, am I supposed to hire someone to find the girl I beat up in high school so I can apologize to her?

why not? if you could do it then do it. of course if you just ask god for forgiveness that always seems to be enough for you but what about her?

You want me to hire someone to find the girl who bullied me so I can apologize to her?

"If the man was one of principle, he would have pressed charges instead of taking their money to keep quiet."

Sure, let's blame the victim here - I guess no one should "profit" from wrongful death suits, because it shows a lack of moral fiber. Kelly Thomas's father should just STFU instead of proceeding with civil litigation against his son's murderers, after they were acquitted. If Phil gave a crap about hurting that man, he would have apologized years ago, or said something to the effect that "I wish I had handled that differently." Furthermore, Phil is being held up as this paragon of human kindness, when he is clearly anything but.

I'm a secular humanist, but I am obviously friends with Christians (as the vast majority of the US identifies as Christian). First off, we don't generally talk about faith in depth, unless we're a few beers in, and then we do it without getting heated, as sharing more than a debate. Second of all, not one of the Christians I spend my time with is less than supportive of the LGBT community. In fact, some are self-identified members of it! Those things are not mutually exclusive. Pope Francis has made MAJOR steps in the direction of supporting gay rights. The Catholic church cannot be expected to completely do a 180 in a couple of years (just being pragmatic here). However, his idea of "love the sinner, hate the sin" involved far more neutral language than Phil's good ol' boy, smug "we'll just share the good news with them, like we do with ALL evildoers, outcasts, and deviants, so we can say we tried."

I can't even begin to fathom his "Song of the South" remarks, which I personally find repugnant and far more damaging than his attack on the gay community. Sure, everyone was having a good ol' time sitting in the back of the bus, sucking up to their white overlords to avoid violence. You don't need Phil's fancy degree to know that government-sanctioned discriminatory practices are BAD.

I don't want to get in to your anecdote about your fight, because I don't want any of this to feel like a personal attack. I'm sincerely sorry you felt you didn't have another choice, that must have been terrible (I truly don't mean that in a condescending way and I hope it doesn't come across as such).

One thing that I find especially egregious about Phil Robertson and the support given him by his son Willie and DIL Korie - is that Willie and Korie have an adopted son who is biracial. How can they support Phil's views on how black people were treated in Jim Crow days all the while raising a son who I'm sure has to deal with modern day racism and racist viewpoints? I feel they are doing a disservice to their own son by not speaking up about the reality of racism, both in Jim Crow days and in the present day. I wonder how their son feels about this as well.

Holding a belief in which you affirm that any segment of the population ought to be treated unfairly (for whatever reason) is neither kind nor truly spiritual. Just because someone finds a way to couch it in religious terms does not make it any less inherently wrong.

I think if I had caused anyone real hurt or damage at any time during my life, and then later I had the wherewithal to try to find that person and make amends - I would certainly give it a try.

I think if I had been involved in a fight in high school with someone who had bullied me and I finally stood up to that person, that's not quite the same thing as Phil Robertson getting into a drunken brawl and beating the heck out of some guy. However, as an adult, I'd probably like the opportunity to meet up with that person again, talk about what happened and hopefully end the conversation with a sincere apology on both sides and maybe even a rueful laugh about how high school can be a really miserable time for all involved.

I certainly do not dislike Phil because he claims Christianity. I dislike Phil because he is an egotistical jerk that misuses his faith to continue to be an egotistical jerk. He does not represent kindness in any way, shape, or form. I might be able to understand Phil's issues before he cleaned up and claimed he turned his life around, but what is Phil's excuse now? Phil claims to be a follower of Christ, yet he still says things that are unkind and divisive. Sure, he talks about the world needing more love, but what kind of love is Phil showing by saying homophobic and racist statements recently? And let us not forget about his views on women and marrying them young.

Phil was not that young when he beat that guy up. If it were forty years ago, that would put Phil at twenty six or twenty seven. Sure that can be considered young to many, but this was not some sixteen year old juvenile delinquent running around randoming punching people because his parents left him home alone. This was a married adult with a few kids. There is nothing wrong in admitting you are wrong. But as we have seen over the last few months, Phil is just not one to admit he is wrong. Everyone else but him has the problem.

Beyond even his homophobic and racist rants (which are quite disgusting), I take offense to his view of women. His "marry them young or they'll just be after your money because their lazy" is an insult. I married late in life. I consider myself a good person and a good wife. I didn't marry my husband for his money. I didn't have aspirations of sitting around on my ass while he worked his fingers to the bone. I work hard. I have a college degree and a good job. I married him because I loved him, respected him, and wanted to share my life with him. What gives Phil the right to teach a bunch of young, impressionable boys stereotypical views of women? I don't consider that kind at all. I consider it sexist and down right mean. Why the hell would I want to read a book written by people who clearly support this man's views?

Phil's remarks show a complete lack of empathy. The families' statement of support also shows a lack of empathy and understanding of how his words hurt people. Maybe they do understand and maybe they just don't care. But either way they have shown that they don't understand what it means to be kind and that they are not qualified to teach others kindness.

You're joking, right? You're referring to an incident that happened 40 years ago when he was a wild young drunk? lol You don't even want to know the things I got into when I was young and wild. You must have been a very good girl when you were young. Good job. I wasn't, and many people from my time weren't. That has absolutely no bearing on what kind of people we are today. You're going to find fault with Phil Robertson just because he's a Conservative Christian. Admit it. He could financially back a soup kitchen and feed the people you claim he hates, and you would still have something to say about him. I see it on this board all the time. There are people here who assume and hate on Christians no matter what they say or do. Not only that, but it's okay for some people here to call God a fairy in the sky even though it shows no religious tolerance and is pretty offensive to people who believe in Him, but Phil doesn't get a pass for something he did 40 years ago. People like this can't be rationalized with, and are the worst ones at being impartial.

I won't speak for anyone but myself, but the number of years since Phil's beating of the couple, and whether or not my youth was misspent or Godly, are not the points, here.

The point is that he quite callously dismissed the fact that he had never sought forgiveness from the couple by saying that he, Phil, had put it behind him.

No no no no no.....a kind person - someone who had become kindly in the intervening years of their converted life - would be troubled that they had never sought forgiveness from the persons they beat savagely for no real reason but rage.

Phil shrugs it off. "It was years ago, I've changed, I've forgotten about it (and so should they)."

I've a youngish friend who despite her liberal political and religious leanings adores the Robertsons. I think it's because she never had the large, close, supportive family and now is living a sadly lonely life.

Extrapolating, I'm guessing that a sizeable majority of DD fans watch the show, and buy the merchandise, the way a childhood friend who was growing up fatherless used to be able to quote "Leave It To Beaver" and "Father Knows Best" episodes completely and by heart.

Difference being, back in the '50s, the actors and producers of those warm-hearted shows profited from the show, punched the time clock and went home to their private lives of whatever. These days, the Robertsons profit mightily from the show, the merchandise sales, and use their faux-fame as a bully pulpit for their politics.

The guy Phil beat up was put into the hospital, it could be that they took the money because they needed it to pay the bills and Phil had disappeared at that time and if he was caught it isn't like their hospital bills would go away.

And then I am just going to agree with everything MJB said.

The guy Phil beat up was put into the hospital, it could be that they took the money because they needed it to pay the bills and Phil had disappeared at that time and if he was caught it isn't like their hospital bills would go away.

And then I am just going to agree with everything MJB said.

That's what I'm assuming too - if you offer a vulnerable person money, they might have to take it. It's quid pro quo for the abuser. And frankly, I don't care if the man was a greedy son of a bitch - Phil beat him badly enough that he needed medical attention. If you don't beat people within an inch of their lives, then you never have to worry about giving them your money.

Several years ago atheist Joan of Snarc did track down somebody I had wronged in the past and made amends.

Senior year in college, I had two roommates. One of the roommates and I decided the other one was really, really annoying. We ended up defacing some of his property before he moved out. It bothered me for YEARS. For years and years it was on my conscience because I didn't want to be that person and couldn't understand how I had done such a thing and I had to face the fact that he had done nothing to deserve such treatment (unlike the bully in the story above.)

So, I decided to do something about it. I would apologize and offer him $500 to replace that property I had defaced 10 years ago. Thanks to the magic of the internet, I looked him up, all the way across the country. It was SO hard to make that call. In fact, I hung up the first three times I called when his wife answered and the fourth time when he answered he was all pissed and thought I was a stalker or something. "WHO IS THIS?" he shouted. Good start.

Then I told him who I was (and yes, I was the one who had just called hung up three times :cry: ) and he thought back and remembered me and we chatted for just a second. Then I told him why I called, what I had done to him 10 years ago and how sorry I was, that it had been on my conscience all these years and I wanted to compensate him. He laughed and told me not to worry about it, he had already sold the item in question and I hadn't hurt its value -- he got his money for it. I told him that was a relief but I still wanted to send him check. He told me he had married a doctor and really not to worry about it! We chatted and caught up for a few more minutes and then hung up.

It was a really difficult thing for me to do but so worth it. He was far nicer to me than I deserved. And perhaps it has nothing to do with religion, but in my experience Christians are often less likely to make amends to people they hurt or wrong because they think they and all their "sins" are already forgiven. Maybe that's why someone like Robertson could put an ugly episode completely behind him while I could not. Or perhaps he's just a prick.

It seems like Phil has taken the attitude that God has forgiven his sins so everybody else needs to do so too even if he never says sorry. I don't think all Christians would react this way, I think he is just a self-absorbed jerk who doesn't care about people he has hurt.

I think Korie's book/curriculum will get good sales with their conservative Christian fans who have already bought the DD merchandise. I posted this pic in another DD related thread, but I wish someone would ask Phil and family why they allow merchandise with their faces on it to be sold.

33fgcvo.jpg

See, here is the thing. People actually look up to the Robertsons as good Christians who can teach them something. They are not. Traditional Christian thought around repentance and forgiveness teaches that being sorry before God is NOT ENOUGH. Seeking the forgiveness of those you have wronged and making restitution are considered requirements of repentance. Phil is wrong to believe or give the impression that all a Christian has to do is declare he is saved, You do not get to circumvent asking forgiveness of those you have wronged and making restitution where applicable. It is not only antithetical to how repentance is approached, it is piss poor theology.

A piss poor theology that Phil, Cori, and the rest of that family get to peddle to the world for money. None of them has studied Christian doctrine in a systemic setting. They are accountable to no one for what is in their books and presentations. The fact they put up that dumb yokel person a when they have lived in wealth and comfort for years makes them liars and charlatans. I'll pass before I study either theology or ethics according to that family's interpretation.

Let us not forget what the Robertson family is really about. Money.

Phil, Jase, and Willie have said numerous times they know their fame will eventually fade, so they are getting as much money as they can now. So when I see books like this coming out by any Roberston, it reads more like a cash grab and nothing more.

I read today that Duck Commander will sponsor a NASCAR race. In April they will have the Duck Commander 500 in Texas. :roll:

Ya read about that asshole and that people have put up with him this long really sucks. yet hey should get into business together it would be a match made in heaven.

Some of the comments after that story are hilarious!

You guys should check out the Yelp reviews - they're hilarious. Especially the pictures.

Lets hope this will finally take it's tole on his business. it is pathetic people put up with it for so long they are condoning his assholyness.

Here lies the difference. I wouldn't shun a Conservative Christian family member who isn't pro gay rights, nor would I call them unkind or unforgiving. It's what they believe, and they have that right to believe it. While I do think Phil's response in the interview was rude and crude, he hasn't made it his plight to preach about gay damnation like, say, PP does. I read something where his son said he was rude and shouldn't have worded it that way. What difference does it make if Korie and her mother are or aren't pro gay rights? Pope Francis isn't either, and I just love him. I don't define a person by whether or not they are pro gay rights, pro choice, etc I define them by how they treat people, and so far, I have seen nothing from Korie or her mother to determine otherwise.

Which is fine, but I think not supporting civil rights for all, regardless of a specific religious view is unkind. Can people be both kind in some circumstances and unkind in others? Sure! I am! But I am not writing a book telling people how to live their lives like good Christians.

Archived