IGNORED

Is Green Bay Packer QB Aaron Rodgers gay?

SPHASH

I have a number of gay male friends who really like women. Really really. It's why we're such good friends. They are not, however, sexually attracted to women--- therein lies the difference.

Nothing they listed there sounded like more than gossip to me. Really? He was the first person he embraced when they won the superbowl? I think gay men having to hide their sexuality in pro football is a very important topic that needs discussion and awareness, but this seems like baseless gossip to me.

Who cares!!! I'll kick back and admire the blue eyes and tight ass...why else would women watch football??? :dance: I mean, 22 guys in tight pants, what's not to love????

Nothing they listed there sounded like more than gossip to me. Really? He was the first person he embraced when they won the superbowl? I think gay men having to hide their sexuality in pro football is a very important topic that needs discussion and awareness, but this seems like baseless gossip to me.

It may well be baseless gossip (that's been going on for several years now) and the stories that his ex-roommate/assistant is or was about to out him might be untrue or maliciously based, but his response to the question is really, really not what you'd expect to get from a straight guy.

Could all be a coincidence, though, I agree.

Meh, even if he is, who cares? I get a little squicky with this kind of gossips. If he is, then nobody has a place to out him till he's ready. That's not even remotely cool.

No, he's not gay. He says he really Really likes women. He uses two "reallys," which definitely means he's not gay. ;)

He used too many reallys and um... "like".

I don't care about his sexuality. It his life, but I do feel sad about this. I read that his brother works for an anti gay organization and someone claiming to be his father sent an email to a news site calling the rumors "disgusting". If he is gay I understand why he would be afraid to come out.

I feel like he is the kind of high caliber football player who COULD be the first openly gay player. Maybe he'll win the super bowl (not hoping for this, not a packers fan) and then come out.

Does it matter?

No I don't care if he is gay or not but I think its worth discussing. First openly gay current (not retired) NFL player

He used too many reallys and um... "like".

I don't care about his sexuality. It his life, but I do feel sad about this. I read that his brother works for an anti gay organization and someone claiming to be his father sent an email to a news site calling the rumors "disgusting". If he is gay I understand why he would be afraid to come out.

I agree, it's understandable why he would deny those rumors. Still, I do think it's only a matter of time before some NFL player does decide to come out as gay.

No I don't care if he is gay or not but I think its worth discussing. First openly gay current (not retired) NFL player

Sorry--hope you didn't think I was trying to say that this mattered to you personally! I meant it as a more general statement.

I have a feeling that many (most?) football fans who express objections to homosexuality to-day would forget all about their reservations the moment their team acquired an openly gay star player. Sure, there will be people who will complain and whine and act as though Satan himself has joined the offensive line, but they'll probably be drowned out by the joy of fans whose team has just gone from woeful to competitive.

Just my opinion, of course.

I think it was Barney Frank who once said if you are in the public eye, you have no real option to stay in the closet. Some people are always going to know the truth and it's just a matter of time before sightings, stories, and ex-friends and lovers start popping up.

If he is gay, I'm sorry for him that his family is so hostile towards homosexuality, but there is no running away from it. If he's not, I'm sure he'll recover from this.

As for the "does it matter?" questions, yes, it does matter a great deal, at least in the US. An openly gay, unashamed NFL quarterback would be a major milestone in the fight for gay equality, and would, as Harvey Milk predicted about people coming out years ago, further break down the negative stereotypes and the hate associated with them.

Sorry--hope you didn't think I was trying to say that this mattered to you personally! I meant it as a more general statement.

I have a feeling that many (most?) football fans who express objections to homosexuality to-day would forget all about their reservations the moment their team acquired an openly gay star player. Sure, there will be people who will complain and whine and act as though Satan himself has joined the offensive line, but they'll probably be drowned out by the joy of fans whose team has just gone from woeful to competitive.

Just my opinion, of course.

The Jackie Robinson effect.

I know some racists who could care less about having black players on their football team. Athletic ability makes all but the biggest bigots shut up.

Archived