IGNORED

Veterans' Day

Full enough quiver

So, today being Veterans' Day, there's something that's always bugged me. Before anyone gets upset, I have the utmost respect for veterans and their families. I have relatives who are current and former military, some who have even been killed in action. Why does every conservative asshole on my Facebook want me to thank a veteran for "fighting for our freedom?" Not since the American revolution, they're not. And honestly, looking at America today vs England, I'd take England, thank you very much. I do understand that defense is a necessary evil, and the men and women in the military have a difficult, and scary job. The military is a viable option for many young men and women who can't afford college. (coming from a poor family, I can tell you that's why my relatives signed up. Patriotism had nothing to do with it, although that's another rant altogether.) Im happy to thank a veteran for their service. I will not, however, thank them for "defending my freedom". Does this bug anyone else? Do other countries have anything like this? I think "patriotism" has always bugged me. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to live in relative freedom, in a "first world"(god, I hate that term) country, but I've never understood the "America is the greatest country in the world!" thing some people have going on. It drives me nuts.

I get where you're coming from. I have similar thoughts every year on Veterans' Day. I don't voice it often because I'm sure that I wouldn't be able to explain myself clearly and would end up offending just about everyone I know. My brother is a Veteran who served in Afghanistan and I know I would never be able to get my point across to him without damaging our relationship irreparably.

I believe it refers to the fact that merely having a military presence reduces the likelihood that another country would attack us in an attempt to take over our goverment and change the laws that give us freedoms.

I believe it refers to the fact that merely having a military presence reduces the likelihood that another country would attack us in an attempt to take over our goverment and change the laws that give us freedoms.

Exactly!

I feel your angst. It used to drive me nuts when I first moved here from Scotland that people would describe the US as the only free country in the world. That being said, until we start paying regular soldiers a decent wage, thanks on veterans' day is about all their going to get, so I usually do try to say it.

I hate the onslaught of empty words that come with Veterans' Day. My father and both of my grandfathers served, and I'm very proud of that. I really like this post about Veterans' Day. It sums up my feelings pretty well.

Christian Fundies are terrible spewers of empty words about the US military, and how much they "love" and "respect" our soldiers and veterans. It is a lie. ATI and Vision Forum types DO NOT respect the military--to them it is an evil, secular organization that allows women and gays to participate. So they create their own bullshit bogus paramilitary organizations. Can anyone name any hardcore fundy families that have allowed any of their sons to join the military??

Archived