IGNORED

Sexual Harassment A OK if they are just an intern.

Chowder Head

"Unpaid interns don't get wages and benefits. .. they're also not protected from sexual harassment."

I am beyound pissed off at the mind set :angry-banghead: :angry-screaming:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/unpaid-in ... 00292.html

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... harassment

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... t/2953595/

Just for the love thats all thats good :angry-banghead:

I thought this would be about Gothard then. I wonder if thats how he gets away with it?

Sexual harassment in the workplace should be illegal and treated the same whether the victim is an employee, an intern or just a random customer.

Actually, I thought about all the interns working for these big to do Fundies too after I read these articles too

Somehow I bet Judgy Bitch and Shitstain Mary have no problem with this. Cause intern=slut! Isn't that right Monica Lewinsky?

first, that is just stupid. unpaid employees still work there and should have the same rules and protections as anyone else working there. glad he was fired.

okay, now that that's over...ot, but why would unpaid interns sue to be paid...i have looked at internships and many are unpaid, but they tell you going. if you know you are going to be an unpaid, then you know that going on, so that's just stupid to sue. and really, you can sue a company to paid you for temporary work that you knew would be unpaid going in, but you can't sue for a boss sexually harassing you as an intern...the mind cannot wrap my head around the stupid there. :pink-shock:

side note-my shift keys are not working and my caps lock is sticking so apologies for the lack of question marks and capitalization. damn laptop.

ot, but why would unpaid interns sue to be paid...i have looked at internships and many are unpaid, but they tell you going. if you know you are going to be an unpaid, then you know that going on, so that's just stupid to sue. and really, you can sue a company to paid you for temporary work that you knew would be unpaid going in, but you can't sue for a boss sexually harassing you as an intern...the mind cannot wrap my head around the stupid there. :pink-shock:

Here are the standards for unpaid training:

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division (WHD) has developed the six factors below to evaluate whether a worker is a trainee or an employee for purposes of the FLSA:

1. The training, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to what would be given in a vocational school or academic educational instruction;

2. The training is for the benefit of the trainees;

3. The trainees do not displace regular employees, but work under their close observation;

4. The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the trainees, and on occasion the employer’s operations may actually be impeded;

5. The trainees are not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the training period; and

6. The employer and the trainees understand that the trainees are not entitled to wages for the time spent in training.

If their internship doesn't meet those standards, why shouldn't they sue for wages?

Whether or not interns should get other things employees get, like breaks or basic protections is another issue. I think they should, since an internship is supposed to be a learning experience, and they should learn what it's going to be like when they get a job.

first, that is just stupid. unpaid employees still work there and should have the same rules and protections as anyone else working there. glad he was fired.

okay, now that that's over...ot, but why would unpaid interns sue to be paid...i have looked at internships and many are unpaid, but they tell you going. if you know you are going to be an unpaid, then you know that going on, so that's just stupid to sue. and really, you can sue a company to paid you for temporary work that you knew would be unpaid going in, but you can't sue for a boss sexually harassing you as an intern...the mind cannot wrap my head around the stupid there. :pink-shock:

side note-my shift keys are not working and my caps lock is sticking so apologies for the lack of question marks and capitalization. damn laptop.

There may be recourse in federal laws, just not state ones.

I feel like maybe the route to go would be to sue the company, and not the person?*

Interns sign contracts with businesses and I'm sure those businesses have anti-harassment rules.

* I know almost nothing about legal stuff.

Here are the standards for unpaid training:

If their internship doesn't meet those standards, why shouldn't they sue for wages?

Whether or not interns should get other things employees get, like breaks or basic protections is another issue. I think they should, since an internship is supposed to be a learning experience, and they should learn what it's going to be like when they get a job.

I used to work in HR for a mid-sized company, and occasionally members of management (typically in marketing or advertising) would request unpaid interns, and would state that it was the norm in their field. However, the corporate labor attorneys would not allow it based on the DOL code above. I doubt that many positions would actually qualify as unpaid under these rules.

States would need to amend their laws to make it clear that interns are included. They should be. In the case described in the article, she was lured in by the fact that she thought a potential job was going to be discussed. While it's true that unpaid interns can leave a job without facing loss of wages, they are still new to the workplace and rely on the training and connections that internships provide.

I was glad that the company fired that creep.

As for unpaid internships in general....I know that there are concerns about employers exploiting unpaid labor, but there is also a real role for them. I've had co-op students in my office, and I've also had students approach me looking to volunteer, at a time when I would not have been otherwise looking to hire. When it comes to hiring, you want someone with relevant experience.

• 5 months later...

Archived