IGNORED

High schooler expelled, charged with felony for lesbian love

doggie

Well lets blame the older girl for your kids gayness. Well this should make their daughter love them more. The poor girl it may ruin her life because of these nice Christians.

http://thinkprogress.org/?p=2033281&pre ... &mobile=nc

A Florida family says their 18-year-old daughter was charged with a felony and expelled from high school as a result of a consensual, same-sex relationship with another student.

Kaitlyn Hunt started dating a female classmate at the beginning of the school year when she was 17 and the girl she was dating was about three years younger. According to an account posted to Facebook by Kaitlyn’s mother, in February, shortly after Kaitlyn turned 18, she was arrested on felony charges at the behest of her girlfriend’s parents. The specific crime was “sexual battery on a person 12-16 years old.â€

Kaitlyn’s mother believes the charges were motivated by anti-gay animus:

They were out to destroy my daughter, they feel like my daughter “made†their daughter gay. They are bigoted, religious zeolites [sic] that see being gay as a sin and wrong, and they blame my daughter.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

keratex-zeolite.jpg

Kaitlyn Hunt started dating a female classmate at the beginning of the school year when she was 17 and the girl she was dating was about three years younger. - That makes her date 14!!! Yes, people do not take it kindly when someone is having sex with their fourteen-year-old children! I don't think this was about the same gender issue. I could tear my hair out when people seduce 14-year-old children and claim that the child "enjoyed it" and stuff. Freaking fourteen for the love of god.

I love it how they tried to submit the whole 14-year-old thing without actually saying it out loud.

The felony has to do with the age of consent being 18 in Florida, I believe. But yeah, the family that called the cops on the girlfriend are huge d-bags. They should have just let it go, sheesh.

What NAMBLA promote is very similar to this. If she had loved her, she would have waited before rushing into things with a minor. Generally, there is an enormous difference between 14-year-olds and 17-year-olds.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but it's entirely possible that the other girl's parents would have taken the same action if she was dating an 18 year old boy. This piece is based on one side of the story only.

The law in Florida has some caveats for Romeo-Juliet relationships still requires that the younger partner in a relationship be 16 or 17 years old. If the girlfriend is still under 16 (which can be inferred - they started dating when the older girl was 17 and the younger is "about" 3 years younger, or around 14 at the start of the relationship or 15 now) then a sexual relationship would be illegal regardless of the sexes and orientations of the parties involved.

Don't get me wrong, I think the younger girl's parents are asshats and have only managed to alienate their daughter with these actions, but situations like this are not at all unusual with older teenage boys dating younger girls - girl's mom and dad don't like the boyfriend, and he can wind up in jail and/or on a sex offender registry.

This happened to my sister's friend. He was like 21 or something and the girl was 16 but lied about her age, saying she was 18 (according to the guy, at least). Her friend found out, called the cops (the girl's friend hated the guy, from what I was told) and now he's a level 1 sex offender.

no go. male or female having sex with a minor is wrong morally and legally and making a distinction and excuses because one is lesbian is atrocious and hypocritical...ask yourself if the parents should have just 'let it go' if the offender had been male.

Jeez! Most of the guys I dated in high school were about 3 years older than me. I would've flipped at my parents if they'd charged any one of them!! I think this case has more to do with the parents being homophobic douches than anything else. And, because they did this, they've likely alienated their daughter completely. They can forget about having a trusting relationship with her now.

no go. male or female having sex with a minor is wrong morally and legally and making a distinction and excuses because one is lesbian is atrocious and hypocritical...ask yourself if the parents should have just 'let it go' if the offender had been male.

Not with a 14-year-old they wouldn't have. Homophobia did not help them to be fair judges but I can't think of a parent who would be comfortable with the thought of their 14yo children having sex with someone.

the girl was 14. that is not even high school. so not to say, 16 and a 19 year old where the line could be seen as blurry. whether are homophobic or not aside, I don't know any responsible parents being comfortable about this.

Not high school? I was in 9th grade when I was 14. Grades 1-5 is elementary school, 6-8 is middle school, and 9-12 is high school in my school district. I know it varies by region.

Still, she was fourteen years old. So in order to eliminate double standard people should accept if a guy is touching a 14-year-old, just to be fair? It think not. That's not the solution. No one likes the idea of people touching minors, like when that whomsoever senator had that sex scandal with a 16 girl. People said she was a victim in that situation. I say, fine. But if a 16 year old is a victim, that's the usual age when people lose their virginity, how and why isn't a girl that young a victim. Just because her older partner was another woman? Double standard. I really did have my say, anything I'd add would be just unnecessary ornamentation of my basic thoughts here.

Why the assumption they were having sex? Is it because they were a lesbian couple?

Guess what, we aren't all sex crazed maniacs. I dated a woman for 6mos and all we did was kiss. I saw NOTHING in the short article about sex. LGBT is not about sex, it's about attraction.

Question: Do all hetero couples at this age immediately jump in the sack?

not about sex? sex crazed maniac? if you are a healthy human with normal drives and are strongly attracted to someone, yeah, it is normal to be about sex and/or romance eventually... either loving or lustful. implying a lesbian is above all that is odd to me. and a little sad.

doggie, why do you put in these inflammatory titles? The felony part is not about her being a lesbian. The felony part is about their age differences and age of consent according to state law. These laws apply to both hetero and gay couples, or are you saying that the law should not be applied here because the older teen is gay?

CelticGoddess, no, all heteros of those ages do not jump in the sack, but their relationships if not in the sack are called "friends" and not a "consensual relationship".

not about sex? sex crazed maniac? if you are a healthy human with normal drives and are strongly attracted to someone, yeah, it is normal to be about sex and/or romance eventually... either loving or lustful. implying a lesbian is above all that is odd to me. and a little sad.

I don't think that the poster meant that lesbians were ablove sex but people sometimes do wait to have sex.

I'm curious. The two started dating at fourteen and seventeen. Did the parents try to separate them during this time period?

For her to have been arrested, there had to be credible evidence that they engaged in sexual contact. They wouldn't be able to arrest her just because they held hands at the movies. In Alabama, the law States that any sexual contact between a person sixteen or older, and a person under sixteen with more than 24 months age difference is a crime. I have a huge problem that according to this law, a person who is 125 years old can have sex with a 16 year old and it's not a problem, but an 18 year old can be prosecuted for having sexton with a 15 year old(not that I condone either). To top that, any "deviant" sexual activity is considered child abuse with a person under 18, and homosexual activity is pretty much always going to be deviant, ie: oral or anal.

doggie, why do you put in these inflammatory titles? The felony part is not about her being a lesbian. The felony part is about their age differences and age of consent according to state law. These laws apply to both hetero and gay couples, or are you saying that the law should not be applied here because the older teen is gay?

CelticGoddess, no, all heteros of those ages do not jump in the sack, but their relationships if not in the sack are called "friends" and not a "consensual relationship".

I just used the headlines. I don't trust my writing skills to make it better. I did not post this for the legal issues but what the parents of the younger girl did and the attack and the attempt to ruin another life. The parents acted very unchristian like and chose to hurt someone else in their zeal to make their daughter not gay.

I would like to see that 125 year old :lol: but really, I get what you mean. vagueness in laws is trouble some in many ways.

doggie, then I absolutely have to take back that you used an inflammatory title. I'm sorry.

I'm still not convinced this is straight up homophobia or an attempt to "undo" the fact their daughter may be gay. They are well within their rights to have done this if the 17-year-old was male, and my guess is they would have. There are ages of consent for a reason, and the cut offs have to be somewhere.

Well, my usual example is that of an 125 who has been buried for three months, but I decided not to exaggerate THAT much. It's definitely a law that needs tweaking.

the girl was 14. that is not even high school. so not to say, 16 and a 19 year old where the line could be seen as blurry. whether are homophobic or not aside, I don't know any responsible parents being comfortable about this.

I was 14 and in high school when I started dating a 20 year old. Note that until I was 16, he would just come over and hang out (never in my room). We didn't "go out" until after I was 16. He and my dad liked talking computers and Star Trek. I was 16.5 before we had sex and things kinda just ended when I graduated and went to a college a considerable distance from where he lived. We've reconnected and I consider him a good friend. Are you saying my parents were irresponsible? Please be careful before passing judgement in black and white here.

Unfortunately, in this situation, I do not think there needs to be credible evidence. I have seen too many headlines where the LBGT community is automatically suspect. Maybe it's just a knee jerk reaction on my part but I do suspect this is just about lesbian couple. I think there is a whole hell of a lot more to this story.

If this is about an 18yo having consensual sex with a 15yo, then it doesn't matter the gender of the two. the law needs equally across the board. 18yo needs to wait for a couple of years. However, if this is not about sex, and it is about the girls being lesbians, the parents who reported are total assholes.

Please be careful before passing judgement in black and white here.

sorry, as has been said they had to have been having sex or otherwise being inappropriate for her to be arrested and the child was a minor. that is pretty black and white with no judgement involved.

sorry, as has been said they had to have been having sex or otherwise being inappropriate for her to be arrested and the child was a minor. that is pretty black and white with no judgement involved.

There is no evidence of sex and regardless, you stated her parents were irresponsible even if they were 16 and 19. That seems very much like judgement to me.

Archived