IGNORED

Couple's Baby Taken By Police

Knight of Ni

theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/29/im-going-to-grab-your-baby-and-dont-resist-cops-barge-into-cali-parents-home-take-their-baby-after-they-seek-2nd-medical-opinion-and-its-on-video/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=story&utm_campaign=Share+Buttons

According to this, cops came into a couple's home and took their baby. They claimed to have received reports that the baby was being neglected. This is because the parents were unsatisfied with the care he was receiving at one hospital and wanted a second opinion. Their baby has a heart murmur. According to the article when the wife asked a nurse why the baby was receiving a medication, the reply was "I don't know". I don't have children but if a nurse gave me that kind of answer about my baby, I would be gone.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read about that on Friday and they are supposed to have had a court appearance today. So far, no news.

THat is disgusting. It happens way too much because the CPS has too much power. There was a case locally this weekend whre a 2 yr old was found wondering a busy highway after wscaping through a bedroom window. The family had done all they could to child-proof the home. Guess what happened? Yep The child was taken. These things happen. Some children are smart no matter what you do to ocntain them. THey look fo rnay excuse to rip a child from a home instead of helping the family and other kids who really need help.

I don't believe that CPS has too much power. There may be a few fringe cases like this, but for the most part it's actually quite difficult to protect abused and neglected children. I mean, you can allow a child die to do medical neglect and get to keep your 7+ other children until you kill another one in the same fashion. You can spend all day beating your children and brag about it on your blog. You can publicly admit that you put your infant on a blanket and then lure them off with toys just so you can hit them. These are all things that parents have done, that we've discussed on this board. CPS has too little power, IMO.

I don't believe that CPS has too much power. There may be a few fringe cases like this, but for the most part it's actually quite difficult to protect abused and neglected children. I mean, you can allow a child die to do medical neglect and get to keep your 7+ other children until you kill another one in the same fashion. You can spend all day beating your children and brag about it on your blog. You can publicly admit that you put your infant on a blanket and then lure them off with toys just so you can hit them. These are all things that parents have done, that we've discussed on this board. CPS has too little power, IMO.

I was coming to say the exact same thing. How can a family who prays over a child instead of making sure it receives proper medical care and still be allowed to keep their other children. Especially when it happens twice. I honestly think that the protocol that CPS uses needs to be re-evaluated. They need to define what constitutes neglect. Based on what you say here it sounds like they are going by standards of neglect used in the 1950's. Some things need updating. Not to mention a good dose of common sense when reviewing individual cases doesn't hurt.

[snip]Their baby has a heart murmur. According to the article when the wife asked a nurse why the baby was receiving a medication, the reply was "I don't know". I don't have children but if a nurse gave me that kind of answer about my baby, I would be gone.

Thats bad nursing straight up. Nurses are the last line of defense between an overworked/exhausted physician and the patient. If we dont know what exactly whats going in to our patient's bodies, we put them in a great deal of danger. Mom had every right to want to seek medical help from someone else.

I think the reason CPS acts the way they do now is there aren't enough babies in the foster care system. People who seek adoption aren't commonly looking for teenagers or pre-teens. I have read on this. The fact they can just remove a toddler from a loving home with no records and let someone get away with beating or praying over ill children with previous records makes sense in that perspective. I really don't have an explanation for their actions at times. I agree their definition neglect needs to be revaluated.

THat is disgusting. It happens way too much because the CPS has too much power. There was a case locally this weekend whre a 2 yr old was found wondering a busy highway after wscaping through a bedroom window. The family had done all they could to child-proof the home. Guess what happened? Yep The child was taken. These things happen. Some children are smart no matter what you do to ocntain them. THey look fo rnay excuse to rip a child from a home instead of helping the family and other kids who really need help.

I disagree with this. While I'm sure there are cases where children have been taken unnecessarily, my experience working in social services/education for the last 15years has been the exact opposite. CPS is much more likely to not take a child they should rather than the other way around. And if a child is taken from the home, CPS usually works with the family for reunification. It's a tough job and they take a lot of shit from people that don't know what the hell they are talking about. If they do take a child, people scream that they're power hungry. If they don't take a child, people ask, where was CPS???? It's a bit of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

ETA my post was about CPS in general. I don't know enough about this particular case to form an opinion on whether or not CPS acted correctly.

I think the reason CPS acts the way they do now is there aren't enough babies in the foster care system. People who seek adoption aren't commonly looking for teenagers or pre-teens. I have read on this. The fact they can just remove a toddler from a loving home with no records and let someone get away with beating or praying over ill children with previous records makes sense in that perspective. I really don't have an explanation for their actions at times. I agree their definition neglect needs to be revaluated.

Do you have some research to back that up?

At least he's out of the hospital with problems. It sounds like all they wanted was the best for the baby.

I read about this before and all I will say is that it serves as a great example of why the American public needs guns. They are not just there for criminals. I can tell you that if I were them I wouldn't be giving up my baby without a fight.

I read about this before and all I will say is that it serves as a great example of why the American public needs guns. They are not just there for criminals. I can tell you that if I were them I wouldn't be giving up my baby without a fight.

Shooting or threatening a CPS worker means that you have a very slim chance of ever getting your child back.

Anxious Girl, is this one of your pet trolls? :evil-eye: FFS, Auntie AJ has told you over and over again, they CAN NOT be housebroken!

Shooting or threatening a CPS worker means that you have a very slim chance of ever getting your child back.

I was going to respond to it's whacktacular reasoning and then I remembered...it's a troll. :scared-yipes:. That explains the stupidity.

Hey, does anyone remember on "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" when Frank sang that song, "You gotta pay the TROLL toll to get that little boy's soul?" Good times. Think I'll go paint my toenails now.

I couldn't remember if she was a troll or just a fundie who flounces by once in a while.

I'm not a troll. Of course I know you guys don't agree with my beliefs and that's why I came here because I want to debate. Not trolling at all.

Anyway what do you guys suggest? Just let the government have their way with you? This couple had their rights violated in one of the worst ways. Read the details, it's not like CPS just politely took the baby away. Do you not think they had a right to defend themselves?

Roddma, this happened locally to me recently too- are you by any chance in the Carolinas?

I'm not a troll. Of course I know you guys don't agree with my beliefs and that's why I came here because I want to debate. Not trolling at all.

Anyway what do you guys suggest? Just let the government have their way with you? This couple had their rights violated in one of the worst ways. Read the details, it's not like CPS just politely took the baby away. Do you not think they had a right to defend themselves?

Not do anything that will make you look like an insane nutjob who shouldnt be trusted around children? Not try and get yourself to jail where your child would be taken away from you anyway?

OK, very well, then. I do agree, based on the article that CPS acted overzealously in this case. I don't feel the child should have been taken away. However, the parents can't just pop a cap in a CPS worker to protect their child. They would end up in jail for murder and never see the child again. They need to exercise their legal rights and take careful actions to keep their baby. Contrary to the opinions of some, guns don't solve all our problems.

If a two year old was founding wandering a busy highway, CPS sure as hell better be investigating.

Do you think people want to be social workers so they can rip families apart?

This particular case is terrifying and seems to show CPS overstepping their boundaries, but I doubt the media has the whole story. I do think social services should investigate if a parent is denying medical treatment for their child or a doctor suspects that's the case.

This is completely untrue. The reason CPS pulls babies and toddlers faster than older children is because there are limited foster care options and babies and toddlers are more likely than older children to be killed if immediate action isn't taken. If they acted rashly in this situation it is probably because a hospital social worker (rightly or wrongly) reported that the parents' medical decisions were endangering the child's life. Also, at least in my state, CPS doesn't even have the power to place children. They investigate and make recommendations but law enforcement has to put the children in protective custody and then juvenile court determines whether the children will stay in care longer than 72 hours. I'm not saying kids are never removed when they shouldn't have been, but far more often kids are left in the home or returned when they should have been removed. Parents' rights to have their children continue to trump children's rights to be free from abuse. And like I said, CPS is only one part of the picture (though they take most of the heat), there are judges making these decisions and lawyers fighting about it.

I'll be more inclined to believe you are not a troll and just want to debate if you would go back to the other thread and actually address what is being said to you instead of dancing around the issue like you are now.

For this thread, how do you believe being put in jail for shooting someone will help keep a baby?

Archived