IGNORED

Duggars are "praying" about adoption (MERGED)

Closed Womb

http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 75,00.html

IICR, the Duggars have never said "no" to the adoption question, but I have always felt that it was a publicity move to say they would loooooooove to adopt. Can't exactly mention generational curses on national TV. Now I wonder if maybe they are seriously considering it in order to get their quiver to a rounded 20.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but didn't see a post and it popped up in my Facebook feed, so thought I'd share.

http://www.people.com/people/tablet/art ... 75,00.html (not breaking since it's People)

Please God do not let anyone approve them, please. Doesn't Gothard preach against adoption? I'm all for them following him in that.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20685375,00.html

IICR, the Duggars have never said "no" to the adoption question, but I have always felt that it was a publicity move to say they would loooooooove to adopt. Can't exactly mention generational curses on national TV. Now I wonder if maybe they are seriously considering it in order to get their quiver to a rounded 20.

You beat me to it. Well, played. lol

They have 19 children, two grandchildren and one more on the way, but Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar say that doesn't necessarily mean their family is complete.

"We are open to the idea of adoption," Michelle, 45, tells PEOPLE. "We are praying about it, and we will see what God has in store. Love for children has been placed on our hearts."

The ever-expanding crew – eldest son Josh, 25, and his wife, Anna, 24, just recently announced they are expecting their third child in June – were moved by a visit to an orphanage in China on their recent trip there.

"The kids are definitely pushing towards wanting us to open our home up to another child or more," says Michelle. "They see how much we have been blessed with and how little so many children have and they want to share. We tell our children that would have to be something that is God's will for our family, and we will see if it is. Our children love children, and we all do."

Though Michelle and Jim Bob, 45, lost their last pregnancy – a girl they named Jubilee – to miscarriage in 2011, Michelle says, "We are open to whatever is in store. It doesn't really matter whether I would have another child or we would adopt, but we want to approach it with an open heart.

Source: http://www.people.com/people/article/0, ... 75,00.html

I thought adoption wasn't allowed because the adopted kids would carry the sin of their parents, or something like that.

I saw this on one of their commercials the other day and couldn't believe it. Well, actually I can, but I just hope they wouldn't be allowed to adopt an animal, let alone a child.

I saw this on one of their commercials the other day and couldn't believe it. Well, actually I can, but I just hope they wouldn't be allowed to adopt an animal, let alone a child.

I wouldn't entrust anything more complex than a potted cactus to these asshats.

A couple of years back, someone here gave a rundown of why the Duggars wouldn't be adopt from some countries. She mentioned family size and the housing being issues. If they do adopt, I see it being a private domestic adoption.

"It rumoured that they have

adopted a little girl named

Journey"

From the comments on the article. Somebody please say it ain't so.

Edited cause don't know what the hell I did wrong. This sucker was a mile long upon first paste. Lol.

The leghumpers always come out with the usual statements to defend the Duggars. From the People comment section.

rentfromus 0 minutes ago

It is there right to do as they please. They are DEBT FREE and do not take any money from the government. They make money from rentals of commercial real estate they OWN. They are also real estate agents. They hold financial seminars (more people should apply their financial ideas). She writes columns for a parenting magazine and they have written a book. The older girls give the boys haircuts and they buy their clothes at a thrift store. They have no house payment, no car note and no credit cards. You may not agree with them raising 19 children but it seems to work for them so leave them alone. They certainly aren't bothering anyone or taking any money from you or anyone else. I only had three children and can't imagine having 19 but they are good people who are probably doing a better job than a lot of those who only have 1 or 2.

The Duggars have never held financial seminars as far as I know. The money they make from rentals and real estate was never enough in the past. They made the series deal with TLC to get money to finish the TTH. This leghumper is stupid about other things. Michelle doesn't frequently write for parenting magazines and it is very likely that a ghostwriter is doing the work. Writing occasional columns doesn't bring in a lot of money. The Duggars had decent book sales, but that doesn't mean they are super rich like Stephen King or J.K. Rowling. The thrift store days are gone. I'm sick of the whole they don't take "money from government" thing. Maybe they haven't haven't, but they have taken handouts from their former church and people in their community.

I don't know if this true or not, but some people here on FJ said that a lot of Josie's NICU care was likely paid by Medicaid. If that is true, then the Duggars have taken government money.

Nooooooo :(

No child deserves that.

The house is like a poorly run orphanage with untrained and unpaid staff.

They dont even know or look after the ones they have, and adopting a child takes a lot of commitment, Michelle would get bored of it in 6 months (or less if its not a newborn).

Would they even be allowed?

It is hard to tell. I said this in another thread, but I recall someone here on FJ once mentioned that if the Duggars tried to adopt internationally that they might be rejected because of the family size and housing. I can see them doing a private domestic adoption more than a international one.

Michelle's baby addiction is really a pregnancy addiction. She probably likes newborns because she sees breast feeding as a continuation of the childbirth process.

I hate to be a cynical bitch but these people deserve it. The only reason they would adopt is to keep the show going another season and to finally change the name to "20 Kids and Counting". It also gives them an excuse to keep the older daughters around as their buddies become more self-sufficient.

Speaking of older daughters, I wonder how Jana, Jessa and Jinger feel about the prospect of more blessings just when they thought they could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I wouldn't put it past them to try. Jim Bob has long ago transferred his worship from the Church of Gothard to the Temple of TLC. Anything for ratings.

If they're supposedly "praying" about adoption, maybe society will get lucky when Jesus resumes human form, slaps them upside the heads and thunders "Not on MY watch, you don't!".

No way in heck would this happen.

they are just trying to stay in the news to keep people watching the show.

I could definitely see some nice young Christian girl who got in trouble being "encouraged" to give her baby to the Duggars. Let's hope something stops them, even if it's as stupid as having to change the show's opening credits.

WHY? WHY do fundies need to use the passive voice so often? :doh:

A serious answer from someone with a couple of English degrees:

In this case, and situations like this, I suspect they use the passive voice because they do not want to speak the mind of God. So, where a leader might say, "Mistakes were made" in order to eschew blame, the fundies might do it to muddy the source (especially if said fundies have a national, secular TV following that doesn't like to be reminded every damn minute that the Duggars are allegedly God's own special marionettes, doing what He says at His prompting.)

Riffles!

No way in heck would this happen.

they are just trying to stay in the news to keep people watching the show.

Personally, I think it might happen. I don't know a whole lot about adoption, but it seems like adoption from the foster care system and many international adoptions are highly regulated and the Duggars would not meet criteria because of age, number of children, beliefs about corporeal punishment, etc. But, as I understand it, private adoptions are more about $$$ and selling yourself to the birth mother/family through story books, pictures, and tales of how wonderful life will be for the precious baby once it is handed over to the new family. With Duggars being on TV and all, I can easily see several misguided women/girls wanting them to raise their child, be it for the extravagant lifestyle TLC provides, "Christian" home, or even just being tangentially related to "fame."

One of the fundie women I went to college with ended up being the director for a local branch of Sav-A-Life.org, a "crisis pregnancy" center where women can go to get a pregnancy test and "counseling," with the intent of strongly discouraging abortions and any future out-of-wedlock pregnancies (but they don't offer birth control!) -- anyway, what it ends up being is a private adoption facilitation. The center vets Christian families who want to adopt and matches them with these young women who have been frightened into going through with their unwanted pregnancies.

My money's on the barrel for the Duggars going through these channels; it would give the center they choose as well as the crisis pregnancy movement a lot of PR, and the Duggars could have an endless supply of baybeez!

I can't think of a single country that would approve them. But I said it before -- just wait till some fundie lite girl finds herself with child. She'll offer it to them to raise.

How is it that you are supposed to be content with what god gives you but it is ok to wish and beg and pray for god to change his mind and give you what you want?

No way will this happen. And if it does, it'll be against Michelle's will. She does NOT want someone else's kid running around her house. Deep down, she does not want to adopt. God's will my ass. That is her cover for ultimately not doing it. I felt the tone of the article was very much them defending why they have not adopted. There was zero enthusiasm coming from Mullet. JB may be playing with the idea as a business move. It would certainly bag them another season. But Mullet opposes this. That is my reading.

Archived