IGNORED

Duggars are "praying" about adoption (MERGED)

Closed Womb

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't, well, I don't want to believe that they would be allowed to adopt. The US adoption-laws seem to be extremely loose though. Here there are very strict laws, and the Duggars would fall on a huge number of criterias including parents age, number of children already living in the home, the speech delay in the younger children, etc.

I think perhap a few African countries with tiny, renegade programs don't have family size restrictions.

I honestly can't see the Duggars adopting a nonwhite child, unless it was a ploy to show the world how 'tolerant' and 'inclusive' they are. :roll: And once the novelty and publicity value of little J'emima was gone, she'd just be another one of their many neglected kids.

(I know I've got reservations on the River Styx Express for using that name...)

This is total horse hockey. Unfortunately why do I get the feeling they'll find some Blessings 'R Us Xtian agency to help them out that will also go on and on about how fortunate this child is to go to such a great home, etc? GAG. I sure hope I'm wrong.

My first thought when I saw the thread title ... are they praying about adopting a child themselves or putting their own children up for adoption? ILoveJellyBeans, I grant you full custody of Jordyn. I grant myself custody of Jennifer and James. I think that I could offer Jennifer the time and attention she needs and I could offer James the stability and routine he needs.

Yay, lol :)

If God gives them every thought and idea they have ever had, why cant God have given me this idea.

I dont think Michelle would see it that way though, cause of course God doesnt speak to me, I am an evil pro choice, gay rights supporting, (mostly) lesbian, feminist, atheist who believes in evolution. I guess I could pass as fundie, I have curly hair and wear skirts most of the time...

I think they will adopt. Here’s why. There are people who idolize the Duggars. I can just imagine there is a lonely, pregnant, 15 year old girl out there right now who watches the Duggars and sees them as the model of a perfect family. The kind of family she likely doesn’t have. Now she hears that they are considering adoption and she sees herself as the answer to their prayers. She will find a way to contact them, possibly through TLC, who will see this as a money maker. The Duggars will retain a private attorney, adoption papers will be drawn up, and they will have a baby.

Now this is purely speculation, but I could see it happening.

I think they will adopt. Here’s why. There are people who idolize the Duggars. I can just imagine there is a lonely, pregnant, 15 year old girl out there right now who watches the Duggars and sees them as the model of a perfect family. The kind of family she likely doesn’t have. Now she hears that they are considering adoption and she sees herself as the answer to their prayers. She will find a way to contact them, possibly through TLC, who will see this as a money maker. The Duggars will retain a private attorney, adoption papers will be drawn up, and they will have a baby.

Now this is purely speculation, but I could see it happening.

I completely agree. They'll get a kid if they decide its in their best interests, meaning - the only way to keep the show afloat. My guess is they have already identified the 15 year old and that Jana/Jill will deliver the baby before the end of this season.

The Duggars want to adopt WTF, don't they have enough severely neglected kids already? Am I the only person who's now imagining kids in third world orphanages around the world adopting a new prayer "Dear God please send me a new mommy and daddy, just so long as it isn't Jim Bob and Michelle. In fact God if it comes down to it and the Duggars are my only chance at ever being adopted, I'm okay with being an orphan."

I completely agree. They'll get a kid if they decide its in their best interests, meaning - the only way to keep the show afloat. My guess is they have already identified the 15 year old and that Jana/Jill will deliver the baby before the end of this season.

15 year olds rarely place their babies for adoption. They are typicall of the persuaion that they want someone to LOVE them. The average woman who places her baby for adoption is white, middle class and looking towards college. Those women are NOT interested in a family such as the Duggars to take their child. The teens who idolize the Duggars are more likely to think that having and keeping the baby will give them the family they long for *just like the Duggars.*

I wouldn't be suprised if they were looking to adopt at all but seriously, if there are prospective adoptive parents that deserve to be turned down flat, it's them. They can't even raise their own!

I don't know a lot about adoption procedures, but I know folks who adopted overseas and it's a long, long process. I am assuming that adopting domestically would put their parenting methods under a microscope.

Much better then mine.

They could just follow the Kid Farm intro. "And I delievered everyone of them with almost no exception! (flash photo of non-Duggar born child.)

xnSBIMfmv7I

15 year olds rarely place their babies for adoption. They are typicall of the persuaion that they want someone to LOVE them. The average woman who places her baby for adoption is white, middle class and looking towards college. Those women are NOT interested in a family such as the Duggars to take their child. The teens who idolize the Duggars are more likely to think that having and keeping the baby will give them the family they long for *just like the Duggars.*

Exactly. A friend of mine used to be the director of our local alternate school for teen mothers. She said that, in all the years she ran the program, she'd had only one student decide to place her child for adoption, and was concerned that so few of the young women in her program were anywhere near equipped--financially, emotionally, or socially--to be parents.

She also was dead-set against "abstinence-based sex education"--this was well over 20 years ago--because "It just doesn't work. At all." Fortunately, her school was right next door to the local Planned Parenthood.

OT fun anecdote: At our YWCA, the alternate school used a suite of classrooms during the day, and the adult ed program where I taught used them at night. A couple of rooms used to be used by Planned Parenthood until they moved to a building next door. One evening, a pair of timid teenaged boys came into our guidance counselor's office to pick up the condoms they'd requested. She congratulated them on their sense of responsibility, then directed the blushing pair next door.

Maybe they'll adopt embryo's ? Is this a thing?

I remember watching a night-time drama about crazy religious / charity groups that try to place "unused" embryos made during IVF procedures into loving empty uterus' ? (Okay so granted I'm pretty sure this was an episode of Law and Order SVU, but still .... I can believe something like this exists in the US?)

Gives her another couple shots at being preggers?

I remember watching a night-time drama about crazy religious / charity groups that try to place "unused" embryos made during IVF procedures into loving empty uterus' ? (Okay so granted I'm pretty sure this was an episode of Law and Order SVU, but still .... I can believe something like this exists in the US?)

It is a thing. I'm not sure what the requirements for it are, but I'd be willing to bet that Michelle would not qualify due to age and the fact that she already has so many bio kids. Also, in some cases the biological "parents" of the embryos get to choose who will receive them, and then the Duggars would run into the same problems that they'd face with infant adoption.

While some fresher eggs might give her a better chance of a viable pregnancy, I think Michelle's biggest problem is the condition of her uterus. With 4 c-sections, plus 21? implantations, it's got to be a mess in there.

Man, it scares me to think of an older girl getting adopted into a fundie family. "Hi, we're your new family! No tv, school, opposite sex friends, and we'll send you off to boot camp if we ever catch you dancing! And don't worry about unpacking your clothes, we've already burned them. See your new older sisters to be assigned a denim skirt and used flipflops. "

I don't think they'd have any problem finding a child to adopt, between their fundie friends with adopted children (who could tell them where they went) and their connections to probably every pro-life organization on the planet. Having an adoption approved might be a different story.

If they already know they'd love to adopt do they really need to pray on it? It sounds like an ideal situation for Jim Bob to flip his coin three times. If it's all heads they pursue adoption. The Lord will provide, etc.

You're right about that plot line being an episode of L&O:SVU, but you're also correct that there was a movement maybe 10 years ago for people to adopt extra embryos. They called them snowflake babies and I think that is where the term "speshul snowflake" comes from. Fortunately, the effort to adopt embryos never got off the ground.

One thing that's always interested me about that particular episode is that the nutjob wife of the equally nutty anti-choiceer who stole the frozen embryos was played by none other than Janine Turner. Janine was on Northern Exposure, but since then has been mostly making Christianized yoga videos. It somewhat surprised me that Janine would be involved with something that made the anti-choicers look batshit crazy -not that all Xtians are anti-choice.

They talked about the Duggars on the Talk today. Sara said after watching the show she was converted to liking them because all the kids were more well behaved than her two

They talked about the Duggars on the Talk today. Sara said after watching the show she was converted to liking them because all the kids were more well behaved than her two

Guess she missed the Howlerfest in the capsule hotel in Japan and didn't notice that one of twins had 11 year old James on a leash in Tiananmen Square.

Archived