IGNORED

AR to criminalize abortion entirely

sassycupcake

Unsatisfied with their recent back-to-back 20- and 12- week abortion bans, Arkansas Republicans are now pushing for a total ban on all abortions, knowing that the legislature can override a gubernatorial veto.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/03/12 ... gh-senate/

This bill has already passed the AR Senate, and is clearly a ploy to get Roe v. Wade reopened before the SCOTUS.

I'm a little rusty on my American Government lessons but wouldn't this kind of thing stop at the Arkansas Supreme Court before the U.S. Supreme Court?

too bad there is not a post birth abortion option for GOP'rs. As I said before Creationists were right dinosaurs and humans are on the earth at the same time.

That's just sickening. I'm sure the Duggars are jizzing all over themselves.

most of them would not even know what that is.

I am completely ignorant about our governmental structure, so please forgive me. But does this mean that if this passes in Arkansas, that the period of time while the Supreme Court is working on this.... Arkansas won't have any legal abortions? Or is the law not official until the Supreme Court decides?

As much as abortion bothers me, I am more concerned about any women who could possibly face emotional and physical problems from not having them available for that period of time.

I really don't think RvsW will be overturned, but I am never shocked anymore.

I am completely ignorant about our governmental structure, so please forgive me. But does this mean that if this passes in Arkansas, that the period of time while the Supreme Court is working on this.... Arkansas won't have any legal abortions? Or is the law not official until the Supreme Court decides?

As much as abortion bothers me, I am more concerned about any women who could possibly face emotional and physical problems from not having them available for that period of time.

I really don't think RvsW will be overturned, but I am never shocked anymore.

If this passes, then abortion will be illegal in Arkansas. However, the ACLU/NARAL/any other pro-civil-liberties group will immediately file for an injunction. A judge will then rule whether the law stands while the courts decide on whether to strike the law down permanently. If an injunction is not granted, women in Arkansas will have to go to another state until (if) a court says the law is unconstitutional.

This process could take years, because lower courts will have to rule on the abortion ban before it ever reaches the SCOTUS. It's basically guaranteed that the state of Arkansas will appeal all the way up, but the SCOTUS could refuse to hear the case and instead uphold whatever the lower courts have ruled. Since the abortion issue has already been firmly decided with Roe, they are well within their rights to uphold any pro-Roe rulings that lower federal courts are likely to make.

I'm a little rusty on my American Government lessons but wouldn't this kind of thing stop at the Arkansas Supreme Court before the U.S. Supreme Court?

Yes. But the legal battle only stops if the loser decides not to appeal. And the State of Arkansas likely will not just give up and go home without a Supreme Court fight.

edited to add valsa's quote

This is just insane. The legislators are doing nothing but pandering to a segment of the voting population. They damn well know these bills will be declared unconstitutional. They know this is going to cost the state a fortune. Yet, do they care?

Frankly, I don't feel sorry for the people of Arkansas, they are the ones who put these idiots in office.

Fuck Arkansas.

Go suceed please. Thank you.

I hope you mean "secede"! I certainly wouldn't want them succeeding at a thing like this!

Guess no one in Arkansas will ever have abortions anymore now. :roll: The Duggars better start building some spare bedrooms for the upcoming wave of blessings.

Will this even outlaw abortions in the case of rape or incest or to protect the health of the mother?

I don't understand these far right conservatives. They don't want to allow abortions but they demonize single moms and poor people and slash funding for things like WIC and food stamps and health care. So, they'll protect you when you're in utero, but you're fucked the second you come out. Gotcha.

This is just insane. The legislators are doing nothing but pandering to a segment of the voting population. They damn well know these bills will be declared unconstitutional. They know this is going to cost the state a fortune. Yet, do they care?

Frankly, I don't feel sorry for the people of Arkansas, they are the ones who put these idiots in office.

In the immortal words of Saint Rachel Maddow, they want to make government so small it can fit inside your uterus.

In the immortal words of Saint Rachel Maddow, they want to make government so small it can fit inside your uterus.

Sweet baby jeebus on toast points, I love that woman.

Ah I love me some Rachel Maddow and now I can not wait to listen to the Reality Cast podcast next week. I can not recommend that podcast enough in regards to being up to date about reproductive rights and what is happening. An added bonus the host is really fun to listen to.

Oh Jesus, can't you guys just give Arkansas to Cuba or something? Sorry to all you good Arkansas residents out there, but this is some serious bullshit.

More like some spare hospital rooms (in what used to be called the "special gynecology ward.")

You mean the "septic pregnancy wards." Seriously tragic and unfortunate that no one really remembers those now -- I only know of them through an article I read by an abortion provider on why he DID do them (and I'm too lazy to try and find it again.)

I wish I hadn't been right when I said ladies of Arkansas hold tight onto your birth control when the 12 week abortion bill passed. What would they tell someone like me who can use birth control for control of my PCOS, plus my husband has a nasty genetic disorder that has a 50%/50% chance of getting passed on. All I can say is I guess condom sales in Arkansas are going to be going up or at least one can hope.

Holy shit balls, I take a short break from this board and I read this bullshit! I can't believe this. We're stuck in this bass ackwards place for another year and I'm blowing this joint. DH wants to move here permanently, but I just don't think I can stand it. I'm not worried about my right to make my own choices (thankfully, I'm fixed thanks to Depo), but I'm terribly worried for my daughter's generation. What worries me is that if they can do this here, what's to stop them from trying this in the rest of the country? I wasted my fucking time contacting any of those dipshits. I'm pretty sure that they're not going to repeal Roe v Wade, but they are going to make it so damn near impossible to get an abortion they might as well just chuck it out the window. I just have no words to express how disheartened and sickened I am. WTF?!

I don't understand these far right conservatives. They don't want to allow abortions but they demonize single moms and poor people and slash funding for things like WIC and food stamps and health care. So, they'll protect you when you're in utero, but you're fucked the second you come out. Gotcha.

I'm a new poster on this forum but I've lurked for a bit. I agree with this completely. I actually can't wrap my mind around the contradiction. I'm the opposite - totally pro-choice, but also want to support the babies that are here.

I'm a new poster on this forum but I've lurked for a bit. I agree with this completely. I actually can't wrap my mind around the contradiction. I'm the opposite - totally pro-choice, but also want to support the babies that are here.

That's because you have both a heart and a brain.

You're not alone. I'm pro-choice, too. I think most people who are pro-choice hate the thought of women using abortion as birth control (and, frankly, I question how much of that is a myth perpetrated by the pro-life people), but it drives me insane that they pretty much admit to hating any child born who's not white, wealthy and healthy.

Archived