IGNORED

Idolatry and the Maxwells

Patsy

My idea of 'idolatry', in a more balance perspective, is something that you are obsessed with, that overtakes your life, or that you place more power in than actually exists. A more extreme idea of idolatry would be anything that you allow to take more time or interest in your life than God. The Maxwells' definition is batshit, but it leads to freakish obsession itself.

Cleaning and death, cleaning and death, cleaning and death. Even if the obsession with death is related to their religious beliefs, they've created idols. I think most little kids who like TV aren't as obsessed, burdened and pre-occupied with TV as they are with constant, measured, prim living - cleaning and death, cleaning and death. Has anyone ever asked them if they've made these things into idols?

I'm a bit confused. Are you asking whether their eschewing of anything that is "idolatrous" or might become so is in fact idolatrous because it causes them to obsess about it?

I think they've made their joyless life into an idol.

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." -- John 10:10

The Maxwells' life sounds like the thief has stolen all the joy out of living. No Thanks.

Guest Anonymous
They make Oliver Cromwell look like a fun guy to hang with.

And to them, Cotton and Increase Mather would be party animals

I wonder if the Malleus Maleficarum is considered appropriate reading material in the Maxwell house.

Are you asking whether their eschewing of anything that is "idolatrous" or might become so is in fact idolatrous because it causes them to obsess about it?

No, although I do think that's true. What I meant was more that the boring, soulless things they've replaced them with have become obsessions, and so they (the activities themselves) are idols.

Asking them would have no point, though. Everyone knows "idol" means "something Dad doesn't want the kids to enjoy", so any definition we use here is moot.

I wonder if the Malleus Maleficarum is considered appropriate reading material in the Maxwell house.

Probably not, as it was written by a Roman-Evil-Catholic MONK! :mrgreen:

I've got a German translation, and honestly, it is a booooooring read.

I agree with the definition of idolatry the thread started out with: By monotheistic standards, if it takes up more room than God, it becomes more important and is therefore an idol. It would be far to easy to say, well, not worshipping a picture, good to go! The guidelines for confession in my prayer book specifically ask the question concerning this commandment if you've put something before God.

It is far easier for acitivities, people and lifestyle to become an idol than pictures and statues. Many fundie-protestants seem obsessed with accusing catholics of idolatry because of the saints, but seem to make quite another God out of the bible, instead of worshipping the God the bible gives testimony of.

I need to go to bed as I read this thread as the lottery and the Maxwells and thought they won... but then thought would they even play as that is gambling?

Will answer in the moring.

My idea of 'idolatry', in a more balance perspective, is something that you are obsessed with, that overtakes your life, or that you place more power in than actually exists. A more extreme idea of idolatry would be anything that you allow to take more time or interest in your life than God. The Maxwells' definition is batshit, but it leads to freakish obsession itself.

Cleaning and death, cleaning and death, cleaning and death. Even if the obsession with death is related to their religious beliefs, they've created idols. I think most little kids who like TV aren't as obsessed, burdened and pre-occupied with TV as they are with constant, measured, prim living - cleaning and death, cleaning and death. Has anyone ever asked them if they've made these things into idols?

I most definitely believe Steve Maxwell has created idols in his life and the life of his family. Himself, for one. He rules and is not to be questioned. He is to be respected and even worshiped, whether he deserves it or not. (And he most certainly does not).

His control is one of his idols, but he cloaks it in his screwed up interpretation of the bible. His kids & wife have nothing and no one he doesn't allow them to have. He in fact takes things away from them using the idol excuse. He and his control will be the only idols in that family. He convinces them that anything they enjoy is an idol that must be disposed of.

Yes, he is obsessed with death. Since there is really no fighting that, his wife is obsessed with schedules and cleaning because that is probably the only thing in her entire existence she has any control over.

He isolates his family to keep himself front & center. To keep himself on the pedestal as the idol. And he twists the meaning of the word and it has come to mean anything that takes any member of his family away from worship of him.

So, anyway. I agree. Death and cleaning are idols. But I'd add that so is their stupid bus. So is their 'brand' - their image. And more all encompassing than that, so is Steve himself. He won't dare allow a member of his family to even consider another human being as being as great and perfect as he is, and the only way to make sure that doesn't happen is to not allow other people into the lives of his family, not as teachers or team members or friends or mentors...nothing. No one has any role in his family's life other than him - he is to be their idol, literally and figuratively.

I most definitely believe Steve Maxwell has created idols in his life and the life of his family. Himself, for one. He rules and is not to be questioned. He is to be respected and even worshiped, whether he deserves it or not. (And he most certainly does not).

His control is one of his idols, but he cloaks it in his screwed up interpretation of the bible. His kids & wife have nothing and no one he doesn't allow them to have. He in fact takes things away from them using the idol excuse. He and his control will be the only idols in that family. He convinces them that anything they enjoy is an idol that must be disposed of.

Yes, he is obsessed with death. Since there is really no fighting that, his wife is obsessed with schedules and cleaning because that is probably the only thing in her entire existence she has any control over.

He isolates his family to keep himself front & center. To keep himself on the pedestal as the idol. And he twists the meaning of the word and it has come to mean anything that takes any member of his family away from worship of him.

So, anyway. I agree. Death and cleaning are idols. But I'd add that so is their stupid bus. So is their 'brand' - their image. And more all encompassing than that, so is Steve himself. He won't dare allow a member of his family to even consider another human being as being as great and perfect as he is, and the only way to make sure that doesn't happen is to not allow other people into the lives of his family, not as teachers or team members or friends or mentors...nothing. No one has any role in his family's life other than him - he is to be their idol, literally and figuratively.

I agree with everything you said 100%, except about Uriah being stupid! How could you? I just hope he doesn't read here :cry:

Archived