IGNORED

When God writes your baby name?

Nootbar

I'm wondering if there is a specific Gothard/fundie teaching from whence come the crazy baby names (e.g. "Tristan Primus"). Tristan's pretty main stream, but Primus???

Do fundies think God writes their baby name stories in addition to their love stories?

Or are they just trying to be you-neek & kre8tive?

This Maxwell blog post makes it sound like biblical meaning is very important: titus2.com/blog/index.php/2013/02/10/when-cute-takes-on-a-new-meaning/

I guess by homeschooling you'd prevent having to constantly explain and/or spell the name...

I'm wondering if there is a specific Gothard/fundie teaching from whence come the crazy baby names (e.g. "Tristan Primus"). Tristan's pretty main stream, but Primus???

Do fundies think God writes their baby name stories in addition to their love stories?

This Maxwell blog post makes it sound like biblical meaning is very important: titus2.com/blog/index.php/2013/02/10/when-cute-takes-on-a-new-meaning/

I guess by homeschooling you'd prevent having to constantly explain and/or spell the name...

Primus sounds like they watch too many Transformer movies...

Primus makes me think of Sailing the Seas of Cheese, or Jerry Was a Racecar Driver. Definitely doesn't bring up anything liturgical from my college days.

I think some of those types just open the Bible to a random page and use the first name they see. Others just use the names of Biblical folk who were generally known to be "good".

And apparently Tristan means, variously, "tumult/noise" (Wels) or "sad/sorrowful" (French). In the Middle Ages, Tristan was the nephew of the king of Cornwall who (according to legend) fell in love with his uncle's bride (Iseult) after they mistakenly drank a love potion that left them eternally in love with each other. Not particularly biblical.

God has bad taste.

Kloe (and whatever awful names her littler siblings got saddled with), McKynzie or however its spelled, Jinger, Sautina?

I actually wonder at the popularity of Tristan. But then I'm a musician and so I associate it with Tristan and Isolde.

Is Primus the first, perhaps they use the middle name to keep track of them, Primus, Secundus...and so on. Really nothing would surpirse me with these people.

God has bad taste.

Kloe (and whatever awful names her littler siblings got saddled with), McKynzie or however its spelled, Jinger, Sautina?

Those are all terrible names. And why didn't the duggars call Jinger, "jinja". I don't like it either but if you are doing away with the g, why not both 'g's. Otherwise it looks like jingle or something. Weird. On the other hand, why didn't they just pick a name that actually starts with J.

I think some of those types just open the Bible to a random page and use the first name they see. Others just use the names of Biblical folk who were generally known to be "good".

Good point- others use the names of bible folk *not* known to be so good, like Jonah. I mean, I love the name for a little boy, but homeboy had some serious God avoidance issues.

Is Primus the first, perhaps they use the middle name to keep track of them, Primus, Secundus...and so on. Really nothing would surpirse me with these people.

As a kid I had an American baby names book from the 1930's, and I remember it had a section on "themed names" that suggested you could name your kids in birth order. It had "Primera, Seconda..." (must have been girls).

In Japan there are plenty of birth order names that have a number built in. Ichiro (一郎) is the first born son, for instance. Also as a kid I had some comic book about a family with five boys, they were 一郎・二郎・三郎・四郎・五郎 (Ichiro, Jiro, Saburo, Shiro, Goro) which of course is "1 2 3 4 5" down the line (the first character of each of those names is just a number) and so they named the dog... Roku which just means "six." Har har har.

Those number names are fairly common but using the whole series like that would be contrived.

Weirdest name I remember from the American baby name book was "Beezaleel" which if I recall correctly they claimed was popular among the Puritans, I have no idea if I either read that right OR if it's true, but. The book had names from various Western cultures, not only Bible names. So it had plenty of Celtic names and whatnot.

I find quite a few fundie blogs seem to enjoy looking down on "other" people (often read: non-white-Anglo) who "make up crazy names" for the kids, but then they go naming their kids some pretty out there things too! "Knox Defender" for instance... and of course the extremely traditional "Nevaeh" :roll:

That 1930's book also was big on virtue names as a theme. Some of those are fairly mainstream even in secular circles in 2013, like Hope and Faith, but then there's Prudence, Chastity...

Best fundie name I've heard is that of a Puritan preacher: Hatevil Nutter.

Apparently, the name is supposed to be pronounced hate-evil, except his own descendents insist he was comfortable with evil for so long as he was the one instigating it.

There was a novel by Elizabeth Moon called Rules of Engagement where a character is kidnapped into an extremely patriarchal society where the multiple wives of the men are called Prima, Secunda, Tertia etc. I've always thought of this novel when thinking about fundies and patriarchy and here it is - coming true in a small way.

Clearly, in honor of the stove, since fundies are into old technology:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_stove

Archived