IGNORED

San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival

Soldier of the One

Dougie's posted about the SAICFF again on his blog.

So I decided to entertain myself and check out these 'exciting new releases' of the semi-finalists.

If you want comic relief, you will find it here.

On the comic-but-offensive spectrum, 'Return to the Hiding Place' ranks pretty high. The stereotypical Jew-in-hiding (curly black hair, big nose) who implicitly accepts Christ (he talks about salvation) is particularly grating.

http://www.saicff.org/festival/program/ ... ?id=f13036

Also, a 'documentary' about Nepalese Christians and all the discrimination they face. Not knocking real discrimination experienced by Christian minorities the world over but... really?!

And 'Remember' is a particularly badly-made 'sci fi' flick about the Evil Marxist State taking your kids and erasing your memories. Can Huxley sue for plagiarism please?

http://www.saicff.org/festival/program/ ... ?id=f13814

If these folks are supposed to 'take on the culture', I wish them the best of luck and a higher budget ;)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christian minority discrimination is a reality in some parts of the world, but we all know Dougie and his ilk will try it compare to the "persecution" of American Christians.

Edited to add word.

I read a book from a North Korean camp survivor who talked about how Christians were treated by the guards there. They were made to stand close to executed prisoners so the blood would spray on them first. Makes all the screaming of persecution! by these fundies seem like a walk in the park.

Christian minority discrimination is a reality in some parts of the world, but we all Dougie and his ilk will try it compare to the "persecution" of American Christians.

This. I mean, like I said, I don't mean to belittle that issue at all. But I do have a thing against obnoxious proselytizing especially if it destroys local (minority, Global South) cultures... who knows how much money is pumped into missionary work into the Global South. People need education, not Bibles.

I read a book from a North Korean camp survivor who talked about how Christians were treated by the guards there. They were made to stand close to executed prisoners so the blood would spray on them first. Makes all the screaming of persecution! by these fundies seem like a walk in the park.

That's truly terrible and deeply disturbing :(

Of course, in repressive societies like that, Christianity (or any religion) can be a revolutionary and liberating force. There's a lot of crack-down on emergent Christian communities in China also.

October Baby was a movie about a college student whose birth mother attempted to abort her and her twin brother was aborted.

Wait, her twin brother was aborted and she wasn't? How does that work?

And 'Remember' is a particularly badly-made 'sci fi' flick about the Evil Marxist State taking your kids and erasing your memories. Can Huxley sue for plagiarism please?

If these folks are supposed to 'take on the culture', I wish them the best of luck and a higher budget ;)

Oh, my gosh, this looks so bad. Total rip-off of Brave New World, minus the sex and the decent storytelling, and like most of the things in VF's reperatoire, the script sounds like one long piece of propaganda. Also, has anyone noticed the weird accents these people have? It's in some of VF's other videos. Everyone talks in an extremely stilted, sort of flat way, like they're try.ing.their.hard.est.to.say.all.the.syl.a.bles equally.

Oh, my gosh, this looks so bad. Total rip-off of Brave New World, minus the sex and the decent storytelling, and like most of the things in VF's reperatoire, the script sounds like one long piece of propaganda. Also, has anyone noticed the weird accents these people have? It's in some of VF's other videos. Everyone talks in an extremely stilted, sort of flat way, like they're try.ing.their.hard.est.to.say.all.the.syl.a.bles equally.

They read books like Elsie Dinsmore and Ballyntyne the Brave. Maybe the diction problems stem from lack of exposure to the wider American culture?

Yes, the Festival is hosted by Doug.

Re: diction. Am not sure what causes it - maybe it's because they are doing their utmost best to avoid 'slang' and profanity. (Didn't Doug refer that that as 'Jive' talk? Oh my).

I'm all for low budget, independent movies but like someone else said, this is all about the indoctrination. They'd hate to hear me say it but that whole Festival (and the movies themselves) give me very much of a USSR vibe. :D

Have any of you watched the WWII movie trailers?

The trailer for Remember made me laugh. I don't think they were going for comedy, though.

In Holland during WWII, Corrie ten Boom's army of untrained teenagers

Um, I thought women weren't suppoed to lead armies. I'm shocked that Doug is making an exception for Corrie ten Boom, a "career gal" who never fulfilled her duties as a wife and mother.

The co-opting of the Holocaust by the Fundamentalist community makes me all sorts of uncomfortable. Just what we don't need: more awful Holocaust theology, from non-Jews. (Disclaimer: not saying non-Jews didn't suffer, but there's already enough awful Holocaust theology in the Jewish community - we really don't need more of that!)

Um, I thought women weren't suppoed to lead armies. I'm shocked that Doug is making an exception for Corrie ten Boom, a "career gal" who never fulfilled her duties as a wife and mother.

But, see, that's OK, because she lived in the Olden Days when nobody had sex outside marriage, so it's all good.

Almost a century ago, Corrie became the first licensed woman watchmaker in the Netherlands. Oh, sure, she worked in a family business under the authority of her father, but still... Doug's always saying you've gotta watch out for those slippery slopes.

The number of documentaries at the SAICFF always amazes me. A good docu can be life-changing, don't get me wrong! But the Dominionist Docus are .... boy, the very worst.

There have been a few feature films nominated and awarded that weren't half bad, but apparently the producers decided to go a moral but un-preachy route and you don't see them involved at the FF any more.

The number of documentaries at the SAICFF always amazes me. A good docu can be life-changing, don't get me wrong! But the Dominionist Docus are .... boy, the very worst.

There have been a few feature films nominated and awarded that weren't half bad, but apparently the producers decided to go a moral but un-preachy route and you don't see them involved at the FF any more.

Classic fundie thinking: film people telling nothing but lies, call it a documentary, and market it as God's truth.

And because we can't say it too often, Doug Phillips Is A Tool

Obama Inauguration Washington Doug Phillips Is A Tool Boehner Budget Cliff

True, might be a launching pad for upstart, promising film-makers. But 'documentary' in this world translates as 'Christian propaganda'. Now, propagating your cause is fine, just be a) more honest about your own biases and b) less belligerent and hostile against the culture you're reacting against. The 'war in the trenches' language of Doug Philips annoys me to no end.

How did I miss this thread!

Oh, my. That is just. . . something. The Child Protection Agency (what an original name, not like anything we know of in real life :roll: ) takes every child away at birth, eh? Yep, that's a dystopia that will grow naturally from current US policices. :roll:

The other feature films look just as delightful. :puke-front:

And, of course, the "documentaries" and shorts are about:

- the Titanic and "women and children first" and how men just aren't men any more.

- the evil that is feminism/Darwinism/eugenics/racism (what, you didn't know they are the same?).

- the horror of marriage not being all about procreating any more.

- how the rest of us HATE babies (except one guy in South Korea).

- how the Founding Fathers wanted this to be a totally Christian nation.

- how Charlie Daniels knows we are becoming a Marxist nation.

- how those pesky Jews in Israel reject the Jews for Jesus proselytizers, like sunflowers forced to turn away from the sun, :?: because rabbis have all the authority, :roll: they've never heard the real name of Jesus, and they think that JfJs are like germs that need to be eradicated. Bonus -- this one's called Flowers of the Son, and it is misspelled as "Sun" in the listing! Hey, interns, get on that!

- John Brown was a "terrorist, murderer and thug" who became "the national hero of the North" only due to spin (this is part of a series on the Civil War that has already included a video on how the slaves' lives were really not so bad).

- the title Half Devil Half Child doesn't give anything away about the filmmaker's slant on people who try to mix Christianity and Islam. :roll:

- Creationism is real, dammit! When will you people accept that?!

- there's an actual Moody family, not just the ones in Sarah's stories -- they homeschool, train and disciple their children for "the battle," and the oldest son verifies that Jesus was a good example because he lived in submission to his parents (I think he missed a few verses).

- Manhood. "We're at war. And it's a good thing to be a man" (really, you have to watch that trailer to hear how he says it).

- Mongolian children need American Christians and prayer to fix their heart defects -- oh, and I guess the doctors kinda helped a little, too.

- a professor asking philosophical questions is an attacking atheist (oh, and there's no morality without God).

- defacing books is a great way to pick up a librarian (hey, at least this sentiment was not predictable!).

Besides keeping an eye on the bizarre views of these people, I recommend watching the trailers for the humor value alone -- the rumbling "dread and fear" music, the shitty acting, the certainty!

At least check out the Behold a Pale Horse trailer, for "what's for lunch? You are" and "Weve got to throw a national hissy-fit." Highly quotable.

Oh, and the Dignity Deception one, which starts with this solemn quote "here we have, all of a sudden, a society condoning death at the end of life." :shock: All of a sudden? Um, when did we start having a choice about that? :lol: If you have made a documentary condemning the idea of death with dignity, and that's your choice quote to start the trailer, you may not have enough quality material to make a film.

And they are up for awards! Yes, they may be crap, but they are what Dougie and his minions think of as "Christian." Feh.

Doug = :music-tool:

Archived