IGNORED

Invent your own moral code

Burris

Through Fark.com, I just came across a Washington Post article concerning Camp Quest Chesapeake.

CQC is an atheist summer camp, apparently meant as a secular alternative to Bible camp.

The first assignment given the young campers is to create their own law code: "...34 campers have been asked to create, in the name of self-governance, a list of five rules that they think everyone should follow for the week." (Emphasis mine)

I found the exercise intriguing, to say the least, and so I thought it might be interesting to see what sorts of rules the posters here would set for themselves (and presumably for others, if FJ regulars ever find themselves to be omnipotent).

One comes to my mind right now...

Unless it's a life or death situation, never give unsolicited advice, never tell anyone what they should do with their lives. You think you are doing them a favor. You're not.

Don't do harm to others intentionally, whether it be physical, emotional, mental or otherwise. If one does do harm, make amends.

Don't do harm to others intentionally, whether it be physical, emotional, mental or otherwise. If one does do harm, make amends.

that don't sound like my dog ate my homework or I am just too lazy.

You will not judge each other based on looks, sexual orientation, color, gender, or mental capabilities.

Don't treat others in ways that you wouldn't like to be treated.

Yes, I know that Jesus said to treat others as you would like to be treated but I've seen evangelicals use this as an excuse to aggravate nonChristians because, of course, they would want someone to badger them if they weren't a Christian.

I like the negative a bit better. If you don't want someone to do something to you, don't do it to them.

Respect each other's body & property.

here's one thing I would add - it is a slightly changed version of the golden rule:

do not do something to someone else that you would not want them to do to you

1. Respect yourself.

2. Respect other people.

3. Respect other people's property.

4. Use safe behavior.

5. Leave everything as you found it.

1.Respect yourself

2.Respect each other's bodies and property.

3.Don't push your beliefs on others, either through knocking on doors or making laws against gay marriage.

4.No stupidity, safety rules are there for a reason, follow them.

5.Leave a place cleaner than you found it.

Um:

1. Don't be a fucking arsehole to anyone else.

2. Work collectively and live collectively.

3. You have responsibilities towards others, even if some days you don't want to have.

4. Do not ever torment an animal.

5. Before you take on power, think strongly about if you deserve it.

Through Fark.com, I just came across a Washington Post article concerning Camp Quest Chesapeake.

CQC is an atheist summer camp, apparently meant as a secular alternative to Bible camp.

The first assignment given the young campers is to create their own law code: "...34 campers have been asked to create, in the name of self-governance, a list of five rules that they think everyone should follow for the week." (Emphasis mine)

I found the exercise intriguing, to say the least, and so I thought it might be interesting to see what sorts of rules the posters here would set for themselves (and presumably for others, if FJ regulars ever find themselves to be omnipotent).

I am easily suspectible to outside opinions. I am one of those people who has to remind herself that ads may not be truthful, etc. So my rule for many years has been people before money.

Um:

1. Don't be a fucking arsehole to anyone else.

2. Work collectively and live collectively.

3. You have responsibilities towards others, even if some days you don't want to have.

4. Do not ever torment an animal.

5. Before you take on power, think strongly about if you deserve it.

Moral code? This is a neo Marxist pamphlet.

Moral code? This is a neo Marxist pamphlet.

LOLOLOLOL :lol:

I'm actually quite an old fashioned Marxist. Too old fashioned, according to some of the comrades.

It's also not long enough to be a pamphlet. But your attempt at trolling was super cute. I could almost pat you on the head :D

Archived