IGNORED

WTF?? "Get the Egypt out of Our Lives"

0 kids n not countin

Heh. It reminds me of picking up the "Left Behind" series and being really disappointed that it was so badly written. I mean, I'm no believer in the truth of that story, but if it had a GOOD creepy horror author writing it I'd read it and enjoy it like any other horror, y'know? But alas it sucked, which is sad because the concept has a lot of potential.

I was so disappointed in Left Behind. At the time I was disappointed because I couldn't find half the stuff they said was going to happen anywhere in Revelation. Then I started to be really annoyed with the writing. There was so little attention to detail. There was so much repetition in the books. If you are writing a series, you can just pick up where you left off. People will figure it out. No need to spend 50% of the book recapping what happened in the last one.

The names were so bad. I might have nightmares tonight now that i'm remembering the writing and the melodrama and the really bad characters. And no one in the entire world would ever have a double wedding with their father.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds me of when I was in high school and attended a youth group at an Assembly of God church. I had to miss a few youth groups because I was working, but I do remember there was some crazy revival minister who convinced a couple of my friends to get rid of their cds. I heard them talking at school and my thought was what a load of crap and I'm sorry but I'm not throwing out money I spent. This was during my phase of slowly moving away from religion. I had a lot of you got to be kidding me moments after that. The other you got to be kidding me moment that stuck out was the guest speaker who came and said he felt guilty about kissing his wife during their rehearsal for the wedding.

• 1 month later...

Was just using the 'search' tool on here and sifting through older posts and seen this one.

This was me. Got saved in a holiness pentecostal church. I was a really big fan of John Carpenter's Halloween / Michael Myers (had dolls, masks, figurines, movies, posters, soundtracks) and also country singer Wynonna Judd (music, t-shirts, memorabilia,) etc. I remember not wanting to throw this stuff away, but I wanted to do the right thing before God, and even though I didn't understand everything, out to the trash it went.

Needless to say, I had to purge my home of all that ebil, wicked, worldly, flesh centered stuff because God disapproved if it.

I hope to never again waste 11 years of my life listening to some fundie preacher tell me how to live my life and that I am hell bound for not being the typical cookie cutter 'yes man' Believer. I can't ever get those years back, but I can make the ones in front of me count. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience MagicalMuggle.

I hope to never again waste 11 years of my life listening to some fundie preacher tell me how to live my life and that I am hell bound for not being the typical cookie cutter 'yes man' Believer. I can't ever get those years back, but I can make the ones in front of me count. :)

Good point.

Just read "The Sparrow", which was recommended by someone from here. Can't recommend the book highly enough. It's about a Jesuit mission to another planet that goes horribly wrong.

A couple of my daughters were good friends with two sisters whose dad was crazy enough to make them get rid of their My Little Ponies as he thought they were evil. He also made them cut the horns off their unicorns.

A couple of my daughters were good friends with two sisters whose dad was crazy enough to make them get rid of their My Little Ponies as he thought they were evil. He also made them cut the horns off their unicorns.

Your post just reminded me...have any of you seen "Turmoil in the Toybox"? If not, you can watch it on YouTube. It's quite a riot all right. 8-) It's an 80's based fundie documentary (?) where most of the cartoons, toys, etc, were evil and wicked and they go in to depth as to why. Indeed they even go in to My Little Pony. It's probably where that guy got it from. I decided to waste an hour or so of my life last week and watch the series and ended up laughing through most of it. On some of the uber conservative Christian Yahoo groups I used to be on, many praised this as 'informative' and 'enlightening', etc and were promoting it a lot.

I worked with a woman in the 80's who would go to toy stores on the weekend and stand in the action figure aisle and "counsel" folks buying He-Man, Master of the Universe figures. They were evil. Her friend would stand in the Rainbow Brite section and do the same thing. They really thought they were using their time well. :roll:

I met the author of Gone when he did an author's talk at my school. He is not at all fundie and is very funny. I think I appreciated his sarcasm more than my students.

Archived