IGNORED

An Interesting Bumper Sticker - Mormons

twin2

I was riding the bus into work this morning, when a huge-ass SUV with a license plate BIGTOY drives by. Below the license plate, there was a bumper sticker that said: Please Pray for the Mormons.

It wasn't clear to me what the the meaning of the license plate was. I figured it either it was either meant to be:

A) A sincere request from a Mormon who wanted you to pray for them.

or

B) A snarky fundie who wanted you to pray for the Mormons because they are not "real Christians."

I'm kind of leaning towards B, but I really don't live in fundie country. Any thoughts?

Did it have a Jesus fish? That would have helped. I have a lesbian and gay alliance sticker "One Human Family",Make Levees Not War, a witch from Salem,Ben and Jerry's and a bunch of travel bumper stickers. I am getting a Darwin Fish next. What does my van say? (I am a liberal Ben and Jerry's lovi witch from New Orleans? Close enough.)

I vote B:

1.) The Mormons don't like to openly identify themselves as Mormon these days, preferring the "Latter Day Saints of JC".

2.) They have so much prayer available that they pray for the dead of other people so that they can become Mormons in the afterlife. Jews went nuts about this a few years ago, saying that their dead Holocaust family members didn't want to be Mormon and died because they wanted to be Jewish and were proud of it. The Mormons had no business gathering info on their names, etc., to pray for them posthumously.

If they have people available to pray for dead non-Mormons, then they don't need your non-Mormon prayer. You're not praying to Elohim of the star system Kolob anyway, so yours don't count.

As an ex-Mormon, I can say that it's definitely B.

When I lived in Salt Lake, I saw the following on people's bumpers (in addition to the ubiquitous RU LDS, Angel Moronis, I (heart) My Missionary Son/Daughter, etc.):

1) Rainbow flag sticker AND Jesus fish (Yes, I know, everywhere else, these do not go together. However, this is Utah, where having a Jesus fish is counter-cultural, to say nothing of the rainbow flag.)

2) Dobbshead (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bobdobbs.png ) I really wanted a Dobbshead for my car, but back then they weren't made like Jesus fish.

3) White lettering on lavender: "One more convert and I win a free toaster!"

White lettering on lavender: "One more convert and I win a free toaster!"

:lol:

I'm reading The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose, the guy who went "undercover" for a semester at Liberty University. I just finished the part about the "mission trip" to Daytona Beach... so this struck me as especially funny. That sounds like something you might see on a Liberty kid's bumper, too.

I once saw a bumper sticker that said:

God bless everyone. No exceptions.

I really like that one even though I'm an atheist.

This is totally OT but today I saw a bumper sticker that said 'I like lipstick around my dipstick'. I'm still laughing about it!

I have a jesus fish on my car too, but inside it says "gefilte" I get a lot of looks from actual Christians. I recently found out that souhtern Baptists do not like Morons, no way no how, so I'd go with B also.

I recently found out that souhtern Baptists do not like Morons, no way no how, so I'd go with B also.

I'd say that I've met a few Southern Baptists, who are.....

(good typo there)

I'm with kb2. I vote snarky non-religious (or mildly religious) person who thinks the Mormons are so crazy that they need "prayers." It seems sort of specific for a fundie. They usually don't think Catholics or mainstream Protestants or anybody who doesn't go to their church are "real Christians" either.

I once saw a bumper sticker that said:

God bless everyone. No exceptions.

I really like that one even though I'm an atheist.

I really like that one, too. I'm also an atheist.

An old friend of mine had both a rainbow flag and a Jesus fish on her car, but then she was a member of the Metropolitan Community Church.

Weirdest one I've seen lately:

A Confederate Flag, with the words "If this offends you, you don't know history"

I was like... is there some HUGE part of history I don't know about? wtf?

I vote B:

[snip]

2.) They have so much prayer available that they pray for the dead of other people so that they can become Mormons in the afterlife. Jews went nuts about this a few years ago, saying that their dead Holocaust family members didn't want to be Mormon and died because they wanted to be Jewish and were proud of it. The Mormons had no business gathering info on their names, etc., to pray for them posthumously.

[snip]

Even worse, as I understand it, the souls of the dead are "married" to temple-worthy Mormons, the better to get the dead into a celestial kingdom ... as well as provide more spirit-baby makers, I suppose.

From some lurking on exmormon.org, I understand that some people petitioned the LDS to un-baptize their departed ancestors. If it makes you feel better, okay, but I personally wouldn't bother, since I don't think there's any truth to the baptism for the dead, anyway.

Typo? What typo? :D My personal favorite bumper sticker was on a motorcycle actually, and read "If you can read this, the bitch fell off." Not sure why I find that hilarious, but I do. I just saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "He died for me so I live for Him." It took me a minute to figure out who it referred to.

Archived