IGNORED

Is Doug Phillips circumcised?

Witsec6

I grew up in a very non-traditional protestant home, where circumcision is seen as a choice and not a religious requirement, but I notice that a lot of these fundies choose bits of the Old Testament (as interpreted by them and/or Rushdoony) to live by (ie. living without sinning, "courtship", "patriarchy", headcovering, etc.). So... do they circumcise or not?

I grew up in a very non-protestant home, where circumcision is seen as a choice and not a religious requirement, but I notice that a lot of these fundies choose bits of the Old Testament (as interpreted by them and/or Rushdoony) to live by (ie. living without sinning, "courtship", "patriarchy", headcovering, etc.). So... do they circumcise or not?

Well, first of all "ew." I do not want to think of Doug's dick, but now that you've asked I'm sure one of his interns knows for sure.

Probably.

Unfortunately he needs every bit he can get. No wonder he's so off.

Considering many of them dont eat pork... and that it is a symbol of a covenant with god, I'm going to assume that those form of fundies DO circumcise. But thats pretty tough with all the homebirthing now going on. I wonder what the duggars did with michael.

Isn't one of Dougie's close relatives (like his mom or grandparents) Jewish? So maybe....

based on age, income, ethnicity I'd say yes. It's a safe bet in the USA until about 20 years ago.

Not something I wanted to think about (is there a shuddering smiley?)... but if most boys in the U.S. were circumcised in the 60s, then I imagine he was, too.

based on age, income, ethnicity I'd say yes. It's a safe bet in the USA until about 20 years ago.

Agree. It'd be more a matter of socio-economic background & age than religious belief. Circumcision has only been a choice, for non-religious parents, in the last 20-25 years. Before that, in the US at least, it was generally assumed that all baby boys would be circumcised.

Guest Anonymous

Aren't most American males circumcised? The few penises I've seen were and all the ones my friends have seen except for one.

I never thought about circumcision as related to home births though. Hm, interesting.

Considering many of them dont eat pork... and that it is a symbol of a covenant with god, I'm going to assume that those form of fundies DO circumcise. But thats pretty tough with all the homebirthing now going on. I wonder what the duggars did with michael.

I really hope that circumcision isn't one of the DIY projects that fundie families start doing at home to save money. It's one thing to cut or perm your kid's hair or to make your own bread an laundry detergent, but I really hope they get professionals to snip the boys.

I really want that image to get out of my head.

My guess is that he is. How old is Doug? 45? 50?

I had a friend that circumcised himself when he was 21. He joined a fundie church and freaked when he was told that people who are uncircumcised won't go to heaven (or something like that.) One day he just decided to do it himself. Apparently, it was excruciating, even more so when it became infected a few days later. He had to go the emergency room for treatment. According to the doctor, he did a good job, but he just needed antibiotics for the infection (And the only reason I know this is because it was his favorite story to tell after a few beers.)

I really want that image to get out of my head.

My guess is that he is. How old is Doug? 45? 50?

I had a friend that circumcised himself when he was 21. He joined a fundie church and freaked when he was told that people who are uncircumcised won't go to heaven (or something like that.) One day he just decided to do it himself. Apparently, it was excruciating, even more so when it became infected a few days later. He had to go the emergency room for treatment. According to the doctor, he did a good job, but he just needed antibiotics for the infection (And the only reason I know this is because it was his favorite story to tell after a few beers.)

Is this common (not circumcising YOURSELF :shock: but believing that circumcision is required of Christians)? Do any former ATI-ers/VF-ers know?

I also hadn't heard that they don't eat pork. This is all verrrry strange! :think:

I understand that a lot of people choose to circumcise or not to circumcise based on the genitals of the father (dad wants his son to "look like him"), so it might be a good bet that if Doug is, so are his sons. :banana-rainbow: (seemed like an appropriate smiley :lol: )

I am just wondering if they use Bible verses to back up their decision.

I grew up in a very non-traditional protestant home, where circumcision is seen as a choice and not a religious requirement, but I notice that a lot of these fundies choose bits of the Old Testament (as interpreted by them and/or Rushdoony) to live by (ie. living without sinning, "courtship", "patriarchy", headcovering, etc.). So... do they circumcise or not?

Jesus.H.Christ!! What the hell did you have to go and make me think about Doug's penis for?

YUCK!!

I just keep picturing that smiling face of his on the head of a cock...please pass the mind bleach.

Aren't most American males circumcised? The few penises I've seen were and all the ones my friends have seen except for one.

I never thought about circumcision as related to home births though. Hm, interesting.

The rates of circumcision have dropped in recent years.

At the hospital I work at, I'd say it's about a 50/50 split for newborns.

At the LTC I used to work at, less than 25% of the elderly men were circumcised.

This topic is just gross. I started to ponder whether he was or not, but that's just to icky for me.

However, I laugh at the idea of Doug seeing this thread and having a *figurative* heart attack.

Of all the fundie, homeschooling crunchy types I know, none of the boys are circumcised. The less crunchy,fundie types will circ.more, about as often as "regular people" lol.

Is this common (not circumcising YOURSELF :shock: but believing that circumcision is required of Christians)? Do any former ATI-ers/VF-ers know?

I'm not a former ATIer but I don't think that mainstream Christians believe that cercumcising or not has anything to do with you going to Heaven. In my family it is a mixed bag and not an issue other than checking to make sure nothing is red or swollen on either type of baby boy during diaper changes.

Gothard recommends it. It's one of his more controversial positions among Christians because he twists himself into a pretzel trying to get around Paul's explicit statements that circumcision is unprofitable at best and unChristian at worst, e.g. Galatians 5:1-6, and a mark of the Old Covenant which is superceded (which Christians have traditionally interpreted to mean also that baptism has replaced circumcision as a ritual that initiates members into the community). IIRC (no ATI materials at hand), Gothard goes on about its alleged health benefits, and says that all God's OT commands are, if not absolutely required, at the very least better for us physically and at most a matter of obedience even for the Christian which probably has spiritual benefits as well.

I am told and have not been a direct witness:

If a physician is not employed to do the circumcision which is now uncommon because many third party insurers no longer want to pay, I am told that most hire a Rabbi to do it. Some of the families actually have a bris, complete with traditional party to which they invite family and fundie friends. You know who some of them are, too, if what I've been told is accurate.

And about Doug... His father was Jewish at the time and did not convert until after Doug was born. I'm sure his Catholic mother didn't mind at the time, and it was part of the typical standard of care for a newborn at the time that Doug was born, too.

I don't know whether he was or wasn't.

But he does require all Vision Farm interns to be. He checks them to make sure.

I'm not a former ATIer but I don't think that mainstream Christians believe that cercumcising or not has anything to do with you going to Heaven. In my family it is a mixed bag and not an issue other than checking to make sure nothing is red or swollen on either type of baby boy during diaper changes.

Oh, I know mainstream Christians don't have much to say on circumcision, but fundies who still follow the Old Covenant may believe that circumcision is a requirement from God.

Archived