IGNORED

ATI/IBLP seminars in people's homes & A partial cover-up

IReallyAmHopewell

It seems like Amway turning itself into Quixtar, ATI/IBLP may now have Front Groups--in this case LA (Louisiana) Family Vision. Here is the site http://www.lafamilyvision.org/

Among the events they promote are in-home seminars from IBLP--all of which indoctrinate the new family into the RIGHT WAY to think and live.

I will be searching out more such groups as I have time. This came up in an automated Google search I run for my Quiver Full Of Information blog

http://quiverfullmyblog.wordpress.com/

IBLP has certainly infiltrated the main homeschooling group in Virginia. (heav.org). They exhibit at the conferences, but now also teach workshops. Not sure how much of that is currently up on the state site as they change the site a lot, but I know people in the group who range from fundie-lite to secular in their homeschooling and they have told me that the extreme right groups have been taking over much of the instruction and the emphaiss has been switching from teaching methods and curriculum review to things like discipline, defrauding and courtship.

IBLP has certainly infiltrated the main homeschooling group in Virginia. (heav.org). They exhibit at the conferences, but now also teach workshops. Not sure how much of that is currently up on the state site as they change the site a lot, but I know people in the group who range from fundie-lite to secular in their homeschooling and they have told me that the extreme right groups have been taking over much of the instruction and the emphaiss has been switching from teaching methods and curriculum review to things like discipline, defrauding and courtship.

Did you go to HEAV this year? Several people from my co-op went down and said it was so religious now it wasn't even fun or worth the time and money to go all that way. They are schooly types and they spend alot of money on curriculum, so they are taking their busness elsewhere next year.

So we've agreed ATI is really A Terrible Idea(ology). So what does IBLP stand for?

I Bet Losers Pay? I Banish Low Prices?

Virginia--land of the Boyers........ Many states are feeling the curse of Gothard taking over homeschool and ruining it for NON-likeminded Christians and secular homeschoolers a like. Showing weird stuff like (in one of the early Duggar specials) Michelle teaching about bankruptcy is the epitome of why homeschoolers come under fire!

Did you go to HEAV this year? Several people from my co-op went down and said it was so religious now it wasn't even fun or worth the time and money to go all that way. They are schooly types and they spend alot of money on curriculum, so they are taking their busness elsewhere next year.

I so wanted to go to HEAV this year out of curiosity more than anything. It's a few hours away for me, though, and I was already out of town that weekend. I would be curious to hear what it was like. I live in Virginia and I can definitely see the rise of fundie beliefs having an effect on the more mainstream churches and culture in general.

I live in Virginia and I can definitely see the rise of fundie beliefs having an effect on the more mainstream churches and culture in general.

I can see this here where I live. I don't know if it's because I'm attune to it or because fundamentalism is really creeping into mainstream Christianity. Due to the fact that the liberal Methodist church a few miles away has a sign out front proclaiming "JOY" I think it may be the latter.

Eh, things like JOY have been around forever. While I think more extreme fundie ideas are being mainstreamed, the JOy/ I am Third concept isn't all that extreme, nor only a fundie concept.

E

h, things like JOY have been around forever. While I think more extreme fundie ideas are being mainstreamed, the JOy/ I am Third concept isn't all that extreme, nor only a fundie concept.

Completely agree--many cultures stress humility and putting others first whether or not Jesus is in the equation.

I stand corrected. The only time I've ever heard things like JOY has been in my own religious upbringing. I'm glad to know that it didn't only come from the crazy branches of my family. I guess they just perverted it.

But I still feel that Fundamentalism's ideas are creeping into places you wouldn't expect it. That was my only point, really. I just used a poor example.

Edited for subject/verb agreement.... :oops:

I live in Virginia and while I'm delightfully kidless so far, a number of friends have commented on the Very Distinct Divide between crunchy homeschoolers and the scary-religious sort (some religious but nice people have after much thought thrown their lot in with the hippies, but want something a little more geared to them). I'm kind of surprised there isn't more effort being made to market learning materials for people who actually want educated children? : :?

Homeschooling isn't nearly as widespread here in Canada as it is the U.S.. I find the whole thing kind of odd yet fanscinating. I have a friend who lives in Wisconsin and she is completely non-religious. She enrolled her daughter in secular, virtual, homeschooling. I asked her if it was difficult to find one because extreme Christian programs are so popular and make up the bulk of the homeschooling market. She said it was. I wonder then, what's the appeal of homeschooling to secular people and are they afraid of the Christian mindset taking over? Have a lot of people given up homeschool because of its "Christianization"?

I live in Virginia and while I'm delightfully kidless so far, a number of friends have commented on the Very Distinct Divide between crunchy homeschoolers and the scary-religious sort (some religious but nice people have after much thought thrown their lot in with the hippies, but want something a little more geared to them). I'm kind of surprised there isn't more effort being made to market learning materials for people who actually want educated children? : :?

There actually seems to be some of that going on here:

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org

I also do not have children, but I get the impression that this is an alternative to HEAV. I only hear little bits and snippets about both of these groups. Would love to know more!

Archived