IGNORED

TOMS founder apologizes for Focus on the Family appearance

His blog

Basically, he presented at one of their events, and they in turn published a story calling themselves giving partners, which really, really pissed off their customers (mostly on Twitter.)

In a way I think it's sad that you get painted with all of the beliefs of a group just because you accept a speaking invitation. But on the other hand, ha! Take that! The buying power of liberals outranks the fundies!

I saw that TOMS and FotF were connected when I checked out the FotF's web feature on the Duggars--and promptly canceled my order of a new pair. I heart TOMS, and they're ubiquitous here in the city (where they make a good summer shoe--lightweight, but no urban grime on your feet. I wish all the tourists would remember to leave their flip-flops at home!), but go liberal buying power, indeed!! Woot! :text-bravo:

That's good to hear, although, really? He had no idea of what Focus on the Family stands for? I find that kind of difficult to believe; even people I know that don't really follow politics all that avidly are aware that FotF are very conservative, oppose gay rights, right to choose, et cetera, et cetera. Claiming that he was just clueless as to the rest of their political and social positions strikes me as a mite disingenuous (either that, or he really needs to get a better publicist).

The fact that he apologized for his appearance makes me want to buy his shoes!!

(I find Toms to be ugly - I like the social mission, just not the product! But this makes me want to buy a pair anyway)

I remember when Hanson was pushing TOMS shoes. I couldn't even do it then. I hate tennis shoes, though maybe that's why I think they are sooo ugly.

I think TOMS would gladly stay in bed with Focus on the Family if it wasn't for the controversy.

Blake Mycoskie and his sister, Paige got their first taste of fame when they were on the second season of "The Amazing Race" back in 2002. Blake caused a bit of an online kerfuffle during the fifth episode when the task involved the teams taking a small paper car and throwing it into a Buddhist shrine (in this case a fire-y outdoor oven) in Bangkok. When Blake threw in the car he said, "May God save all these people who are so lost and so confused, and they worship idols. We will not worship idols. In your name we pray. Amen." A lot of folks saw his actions as being very disrespectful.

Not so loving and inclusive with regard to religions other than Christianity, eh?

Ugh, really? That's just... no. Most of the Buddhists I've known, certainly in Asia, have been doing a hell of a lot more to help out the poor and downtrodden in their communities than the vast majority of the fundies I've encountered.

Edited to add that looking at this post, he definitely knew. People were talking in the comments about just what FotF stands for, and while it looks like he blithely ignored the comments touching on FotF, he responded to others further down the thread, so he definitely read people's warnings to stay away and questions as to why he would align himself with the group. The more I read, the more it looks like he's talking out of both sides of his mouth. Looks like I won't be buying any Toms shoes after all.

Regardless of ties to certain organizations.... I LOVE Toms.... They are seriously the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. :-D And they are not as ugly as they look in the pictures on the website...I think they are pretty cute... LOLz But anyhow... yes, I love them.

Why not just get a pair of shoes you like (those TOMS always look cheap and like they'd fall apart) and give an old pair to "Soles for Souls"? I'm not incredibly wild about a for profit organization establishing a nonprofit arm from the get go to get the tax refund as well as gaining free advertising.The focus of the company isn't that these are awesome shoes, and oh, btw, we give to charity. It is the reverse We give to charity therefore you should buy our product.

Regardless of ties to certain organizations.... I LOVE Toms.... They are seriously the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. :-D And they are not as ugly as they look in the pictures on the website...I think they are pretty cute... LOLz But anyhow... yes, I love them.

Clearly, they are very popular and it's one of those "to each his/her own" things. I also think Crocs are horrific, but half of America obviously disagrees with me on that one, too - lol.

I just can't see paying in excess of $50 for a canvas slip-on shoe. I could buy something similar for a lot less and support a charity that provides food, clothing, healthcare, and education to children all over the world with the difference.

But I also recognize the attraction of doing something good by the act of buying a pair of shoes.

TOMS feeds in to the Gen X and beyond slactivism.

In general I opt to not buy things that do a tit for tat with charity.

I don't need shoes so my 50 would be better spent on a charity that isn't selling stuff and needing to cover the cost.

Thinkbeforeyourpink.org talks a lot about the idea of selling things in order to "raise funds for breastcancer" you can apply the same principals to anything.

Archived