IGNORED

Street preacher at Phish Festival

sugaree

So, I went to Phish's three night concert event Superball over the weekend, and it wasn't just a great show, it offered me up a fundie sighting in the wild.

Friday night, after the second set, as the crowd emptied out of the venue proper heading out toward the campground, I heard a shouting voice ringing out something along the lines of "...and then you might even be tempted to have premarital sex!" And the crowd cheered.

I looked over and saw a young white man, tall, maybe in his twenties, wearing cargo shorts and a solid-colored tee shirt. He kept on shouting. Now, at this moment, I was not thinking that he was actually a street preacher; I thought he was a wasted concert goer being funny. But as he went on I thought to myself, "He really has the fundie lingo down." And then it occurred to me: he wasn't just amusing himself and the crowd. He was an honest to goodness evangelist, here in this den of inequity.

By the time I realized he was for real, I had been swept away by the crowd. And although I looked eagerly for him the next two days, he was no where to be found. Perhaps he was raptured away.

Yay! Phundies at Phish! I'm going to two nights of Phish at the Columbia River Gorge next month, so I will keep my eyes peeled for any phundie-liciousness. But I'm married, so I couldn't have pre-marital sex if I tried nowadays, though.

My husband will be thrilled to hear that his wife's pet internet hobby and his favorite band have inter-bred.

I was at this Phish festival, as it was held in the town where I live and work. Actually I was working as a paramedic in the venue medical tent where I got a very interesting view of all the festivities.

I didn't see the street preacher though. I'm sorry for that, because after 40 hours straight of treating drug overdoses, I was ripe for salvation.

Which medical tent? I had to seek treatment, and I really wanted to rush in clawing at myself and screaming "I'M FREAKING OUT! I'M FREAKING OUT! THERE ARE BUGS UNDER MY SKIN...no, actually it's a scratched cornea that keeps getting reinjured. Could you tape my eye shut please?" I totally would have done it had I not been afraid there were actually psychedelic overdosees down the cots who would freak out even more at my hysteria before I could get to the punchline.

How did you find the crowd? One security guy told me it was a lot more relaxing than your average NASCAR rally. Fewer fights, less nudity. We're like, "Yeah, well, we're not drunken rednecks. At least not that kind of drunken redneck."

Archived