IGNORED

Politician Refused Service at TN Restaurant

0KidsAndHappy

Not what you might think...

Knoxville, Tennessee refused to serve state Sen. Stacey Campfield, the man who sponsored the state’s “don’t say gay†bill, compared homosexuality to bestiality, and most recently told Michelangelo Signorile that it’s virtually impossible to spread HIV/AIDS through heterosexual sex. “I hope that Stacy Campfield now knows what if feels like to be unfairly discriminated against,†the Bistro at the Bijou wrote on its Facebook wall on Sunday. The restaurant has received an overwhelmingly positive response.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/01/30/414125/tennessee-restaurant-throws-out-anti-gay-lawmaker

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been a bad week to be a sentient Tennessean. Our TEA party wants to "teach the controversy" about slavery. (?!?!)

So, thank goodness for Martha at the Bistro.

This has been a bad week to be a sentient Tennessean. Our TEA party wants to "teach the controversy" about slavery. (?!?!)

So, thank goodness for Martha at the Bistro.

What the heck does that even mean? Teach the controversy?

What the heck does that even mean? Teach the controversy?

Don'cha know, slaves were happy with slavery and it's the best thing for those coloured folk. Ending it was a blight on the US and should be returned... In other words a bunch of racist bullshit.

Don'cha know, slaves were happy with slavery and it's the best thing for those coloured folk. Ending it was a blight on the US and should be returned... In other words a bunch of racist bullshit.

I've just never heard of it being described that way! I know people in TN call the Civil war "the war of Northern Aggression"... but other than that.

Both sides at each other's throat will not help matters. Throwing this guy out does nothing for the cause.

But it makes horrible people like me feel good for a minute. :oops:

Hey i deleted that. Yes his views may be ignorant but if he caused no trouble she should not have thrown him out. If you threw everyone out of your business who you though had ignorant views, you may as well shut down. :lol:

But it makes horrible people like me feel good for a minute. :oops:

Actually, it does do good. It shows people that aren't bigots that they can fight back. And win.

No.

You can,should have the right feel any way you want and still have the same expectation of equal treatment.As long as he was not causing trouble or spouting off his views making the other patrons uncomfortable the establishment was in the wrong.If this business wants to ban people for a certain POV a conservative business can do the same to liberal politicians tit for tat and it would be hypocrisy to laud one and castigate another.

Hey i deleted that. Yes his views may be ignorant but if he caused no trouble she should not have thrown him out. If you threw everyone out of your business who you though had ignorant views, you may as well shut down. :lol:

I don't see anyone being thrown out ONLY for ignorant views, I see a disgusting and abusive lawmaker who should feel personally responsible for the death of Philip Parker and countless others being chucked out on his ass like he deserves. Being a homophobic shithead is not a protected class, even though tons of ridiculous politicians want to make it so (see: Michigan's horrific attempt at an anti bullying bill). If you own a business, you have the right to refuse service to anyone, as long as its not because the person belongs to a protected class: no throwing out women because they're women, black people because they're black, disabled people because they're disabled, and if you're in a lucky state, gay people because they're gay.

No.

You can,should have the right feel any way you want and still have the same expectation of equal treatment.

WHERE IS MY EQUAL TREATMENT?

A HOMOPHOBIC SHITHEAD BEING KICKED OUT OF A BUSINESS PLACE (WHICH THEY ARE WELL WITHIN THEIR RIGHTS TO DO), IS IN NO WAY ANYTHING LIKE BEING DENIED THE RIGHT TO LIVE SAFELY IN TENNESSEE. THANKS TO A HOST OF DISCRIMINATORY LAWS, FROM HOUSING TO WORK PLACE PROTECTIONS TO EVEN BEING MENTIONED AS EXISTING, GAY PEOPLE IN TENNESSEE ARE NOT AFFORDED EQUAL TREATMENT ANY DAY OF THE FUCKING WEEK. OH BOO HOO A HOMOPHOBIC FUCKTARD WHO KILLS KIDS IS SO HURT, WAHH WAHHH.

Or he was just hungry.

If he was minding his business and just wanted to eat what ever repugnant views he has are not relevant.

Guess what, if you come into my shop, I can kick you out for any reason I fucking choose. See my protected classes explanation above and try and actually understand. It doesn't matter if he's hungry. It doesn't matter if he didn't say anything about his murderous views. It doesn't matter in the slightest. I would most certainly kick out people I firmly believe to be responsible for murdering gay children. Fuck, I'd kick people out for wearing the color green if I felt like it, because its MY SHOP. If I'm actually kicking the person out because they are wearing green, or because they hold horrifically disgusting views and make me want to projectile vomit, not because they're part of protected class, I am well within my rights to do so and if I was this business owner I would.

Maybe this shop owner is gay, maybe they have gay family members, maybe they're a non connected ally, maybe they just didn't feel like having a disgusting pig in their shop. Doesn't matter. Out he goes.

ETA: And lol, address my equal treatment post before crying on behalf of the privileged fuckheads again, please.

When you use your power to attempt to deny basic human rights to others, you should expect to be treated just as fairly as you want them treated too.

Sure, you can kick anybody out you want.Still does not make it any more right or commendable.AND WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU WANT TO ADDRESS? I never defended the jerk at all or said the the things that have happened against people don't occur.

No.

You can,should have the right feel any way you want and still have the same expectation of equal treatment.As long as he was not causing trouble or spouting off his views making the other patrons uncomfortable the establishment was in the wrong.If this business wants to ban people for a certain POV a conservative business can do the same to liberal politicians tit for tat and it would be hypocrisy to laud one and castigate another.

I agree with Tabitha. Society does not have the right to develop a thought police. It is almost as bad as the baker who didn't want to serve the lesbian couple, politics belongs in the public arena, not the everyday business world.

When public places start trying to 'get back' at people for holding views or doing things they find personally offensive,that is slippery slope that terrifies me...Where does it stop? "Oh wait lady.Your reservation is now cancelled because I looked up your name and saw you had a couple of abortions...I won't have murderers in my place" and that will start happening more and more if this trend continues.Welcome to the U.S. some of ya'll are wanting :(

When you use your power to attempt to deny basic human rights to others, you should expect to be treated just as fairly as you want them treated too.

WAHH WAHH HE DESERVES TO BE TREATED EQUALLY EVEN THOUGH HE LEGALIZES TREATING OTHERS LIKE SHIT WAHH EQUAL TREATMENT ONLY GOES ONE WAYYYYY /end heavy sarcasm

Oh my fucking god I can not even believe this thread. Thought police?! Equality for murderous oppressors? THEY HAVE ALL THE EQUALITY, ALL THE PRIVILEGES, THEY DO NOT NEED ANYTHING ELSE Oh boo fucking hoo. Go eat shit and die you fuckfaces. Oh no! I'm calling you fuckfaces because you're oppressor protecting shitheads. You should campaign for equality now so you have something to cry about.

Oh, OK! Let's invert the power structure and then treat the ex-oppressors like shit. Because that would be soooo much better.

/sarcasm

I think I'll stick with equal treatment for everybody.

WAHH WAHH HE DESERVES TO BE TREATED EQUALLY EVEN THOUGH HE LEGALIZES TREATING OTHERS LIKE SHIT WAHH EQUAL TREATMENT ONLY GOES ONE WAYYYYY /end heavy sarcasm

Oh my fucking god I can not even believe this thread. Thought police?! Equality for murderous oppressors? THEY HAVE ALL THE EQUALITY, ALL THE PRIVILEGES, THEY DO NOT NEED ANYTHING ELSE Oh boo fucking hoo. Go eat shit and die you fuckfaces. Oh no! I'm calling you fuckfaces because you're oppressor protecting shitheads. You should campaign for equality now so you have something to cry about.

If you want a place where everyone agrees with you and discussion so enrages you perhaps this is not the place for you.

Oh, OK! Let's invert the power structure and then treat the ex-oppressors like shit. Because that would be soooo much better.

/sarcasm

I think I'll stick with equal treatment for everybody.

Thank you for using reason :clap:

Archived