IGNORED

Politician Refused Service at TN Restaurant

0KidsAndHappy

I'm talking about an exact situation with this the restaurant. For example if a lawmaker pushing for homosexual rights was refused service by an anti LBGT restaurant owner, then there shouldn't be any bickering from the people who are condoning this situation.

Fighting for the civil rights of people ≠ attempting to create laws that deny civil rights.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the person pushing for homosexual rights trying to take away the rights of the anti-LGBT owner and calling them a pedophile? In your situation, at least?

IMO it Doesn't matter. If one person with one view can refuse, then another person with another view can refuse. Anything else would be hypocritical.

IMO it Doesn't matter. If one person with one view can refuse, then another person with another view can refuse. Anything else would be hypocritical.

It may not legally matter, but it morally matters. I don't think it is morally right to refuse service to someone because I disagree with them. But if someone was trying to make your marriage invalid and calling you a child molester, you should not have to pour them a cup of coffee.

Yeah, well, if you are concerned about equality then PLEASE STOP with the Frobama and Yobama jokes on the Makaziville thread.

Yakobo does not look like President Obama just because they are both people of color. Sorry but the irony of racist jokes on a thread supposedly against racism pisses ME off.

I totally agree with you but this would probably be more useful on the Makaziville thread.

I also see that it is resurrection time for posters I thought were long gone. Interesting.

I totally agree with you but this would probably be more useful on the Makaziville thread.

I also see that it is resurrection time for posters I thought were long gone. Interesting.

If you are referring to me, I am always here. I just don't always have time to post. This forum is very interesting. I can't stop reading!

If you are referring to me, I am always here. I just don't always have time to post. This forum is very interesting. I can't stop reading!

I was referring to you (simply because you had not posted in a long while) but also another poster who I really thought was gone for good. FJ is addictive like that I guess!

A restaurant is a private business, they have the RIGHT to decide whom they'll serve.

Not in North Carolina. Off the topic at hand but, in bars? NO SMOKING. So much for the rights of private business owners.

The smoking ban (that we have here, too) is an entirely different issue, because it is for the common good of all people. You can't decide to inhale or not inhale smoke (applies for people who work there especially, because they might not be able to "just go and work elsewhere"), while you can decide to eat here or there. A business owner is not allowed to conduct his business in a way that would cause harm, he can't randomly decide to forego security while working with dangerous chemicals and so on.

Um, your point would be...?

You could call it hypocritical or you could call it common sense. My friend wasn't wanted in the bar any more because she spat in the bouncer's face. I refused to continue calls in the call centre I worked in when the customer was abusive. Good luck if you walk into a Rangers bar wearing a Celtic shirt. Abuse the server or the other customers, good luck getting served.

It's fucking simple. Make yourself unwelcome and you will be unwelcome. You might as well say you shouldn't be booted out of a shop for running around booting the store guards in the balls. Actions have consequences.

It's not a matter of views. Who crossquestions everyone on their political stance before serving them? It's known behaviour.

The smoking ban (that we have here, too) is an entirely different issue, because it is for the common good of all people. You can't decide to inhale or not inhale smoke (applies for people who work there especially, because they might not be able to "just go and work elsewhere"), while you can decide to eat here or there. A business owner is not allowed to conduct his business in a way that would cause harm, he can't randomly decide to forego security while working with dangerous chemicals and so on.

I understand your point but not "all people" go to bars. In NC anyway, many people who go to bars like to have a smoke with their drink.

The question is not if all people go, but if all people have a choice to expose themselves to smoke or not. And if all bars are full with smokers, or if you are a worker, you have NO choice if you want to work or go into a bar at all.

Smoking hurts the health, which is protected by law (other people are not allowed to hurt you). Being refused service in a restaurant does not harm any rights you have.

I understand your point but not "all people" go to bars. In NC anyway, many people who go to bars like to have a smoke with their drink.

And the bartenders and waitstaff have a right NOT to breathe second-hand smoke, thus increasing their cancer risk.

I do think restaurants should be 100% smoking or 100% non-smoking and let the customers decide where to eat/drink, though. And the staff where to work.

Furthermore (because this is pissing me off).

If I had a shop (lol) I would absolutely refuse to serve people I knew to be fascists. Why? Because I would want my black, gay, Jewish, Muslim, nonfascist and whatever customers to be comfortable and because I don't want to take a fascist's dirty money.

If fash want to ban me from their establishments ONOEZ I WEEP TEARS OF BLOOD because I sooo badly wanted to give fascists my money *rolling eyes*.

It's not about what you think. We don't know. It is what you do. I agree 100 % with Kelya.

I do think restaurants should be 100% smoking or 100% non-smoking and let the customers decide where to eat/drink, though. And the staff where to work.

I agree.

I live in Knoxville and read the local news article covering this topic today. The guy (whom I loathe with every fiber of my being) seems to be claiming that the restaurant discriminated against him not because of his disgusting remarks on the origin of AIDS or his other hate-filled speech and actions, but because he is Catholic and his faith tells him homosexuality is immoral. The article is a good read, imo. Glad I was able to find a link!

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/jan/3 ... state-sen/

I'll be eating at the Bistro as soon and as often as possible. I want to hug that woman.

Archived