IGNORED

Day in the Life of a SAHD

onlyorganic

The day in the life of a SAHD, sounds.....incredibly boring and sexually archaic. Are these women only following the King James version of the Bible?

because I know that there were other women of the bible who didn't stay at home or were not hausfraus; Mary Magdalene, Deborah the Judge, Hulda the Prophetess, Lydia the seller of purple, Priscilla and Aquila the missionaries, Judith and Jael the heroic women who used their and beauty and femininity to seduce and kill invaders, Anna the Prophetess (from the New Testament), Ruth who left her people to join her Mother-in-law, The Samaritan Woman, and Dorcas the seamstress.

Honestly, I thought that too. Until I was unemployed for 5 months. It was sooooo incredibly boring. The worst part of being laid off by far was the extreme boredom. I'm even fairly lazy and I love lounging around on the weekends instead of doing anything. And even I was bored to tears after just a few weeks. And I never even expected that to be a problem because in college I never had a problem doing nothing over the month-long winter break. But when there's nothing to look forward to in a set time period, it's just mind-numbing.

Agreed, I've been in the same position. You find all kinds of ways so stretch out boring every taskes out so they can fill your day. I prefer being busy, even if I'm behind on a few chores or have to order chinese once a week it still feels better to get out into the world, do work that is meaningful and come home and feel like I've accomplished things.

ANd the Rapunzel song was eeeriely a total SAHD anthem. Except I've yet to meet a SAHD who plays guitar.

No, no way, dude. Listen to it again. In fact, watch Tangled again.

Somebody involved with that script knows what it's like to grow up in a fundamentalist household and escape. "Mother" Gothel represents Rapunzel's own parents. The King and Queen are Rapunzel's mainstream relatives and the sun symbol is her mainstream religion. The flower is a profound religious experience and stealing it from everyone else in order to keep herself alive is Mother Gothel sinking into exclusivist, performative fundamentalism. Sealing Rapunzel up in the tower is "separating from the world." Rapunzel's magic hair is the power and status among fundamentalists that Gothel gets from having a daughter who correctly performs fundamentalist daughterhood. Rapunzel starts her "I Want" song by going cheerfully through her everyday routine and ends the song trapped in a coil of her own hair, wondering wistfully when her life will begin. I mean, yeesh, I'm barely ten minutes into the movie here and look at the size of this paragraph!

Rewatch Tangled and then read some of Razing Ruth's posts or the personal accounts at other ex-fundamentalist sites. And of course enjoy the gorgeous art, cracky humor, top-notch voice acting and songs, and amazing action scenes.

I'm not sure if i buy in wholesale to the idea that Tangled is a fundie metaphor. You cuold also say that Mother Gothel is a freaking text book example of emotional manipulative/abusiveness. Although fundie partnes are always talking about how they know what's best for their kids and never want to let them figure out anything for themselves.

I think the reason Fundies trashed Tangled is because it is EXACTLY like an escape from Fundieland and the entrapment of SAHD livelihood.

I rest in the afternoon too... after doing not that much either. On the other hand, my serotonin level is low.

I don't think a healthy, young person should sleep during the day. She should take a walk instead.

I take a nap when my son takes a nap most days. I feel lazy for it since not much is getting done beside the basic cleaning and there are so many big projects but after he gets up from his nap I feel like it's only fair for me to be ready to do activities with my son not wanting to sit on the couch and rest from running around cleaning stuff. I suppose a SAHD might need to stay energized to meet her father's needs or whatever BS they call it.

a) Tangled is definitely a metaphor for leaving an abusive family, whether abusive or secular

b)

Washing the dishes and prepping the kitchen is usually my first stop, truly my favorite household ritual. The rest of the morning (and afternoon) can be rather fluid depending on the day’s priorities. To give you an idea of the variety, sometimes I’ll be:

-working on a project like painting, writing, or working outside in the garden

-getting the house is in order (like vacuuming, dusting, putting projects away, etc.)

-responding to online correspondence, preparing to ship online orders from our home business Noble Rose Press, and my shop, BreezyTulip’s Studio

-extending hospitality to friends

Please know that I don’t do all of this in one morning!

Ahahahahaha!!! Yes indeed, how could we imagine that you could do some writing, a bit of housework, answer a couple of emails and talk to your friends ALL IN ONE MORNING! I'm glad you corrected us there!

These children do not know they're born.

Did anyone else think, "What's there to talk about??" when she wrote that her family discusses how they spent their mornings over lunch?

I can see how, to someone who is super busy, this would seem like a very nice change of pace. However, ask any of the millions of people who have been unemployed for the past 1, 2, 3 years how dull it is to do nothing all day, and to have nothing that differentiates the weekdays from the weekends. I can't imagine living a whole life of that.

I just don't understand how someone can spend so much time at home, with access to the internet, and not find out enough to be RUNNING for the hills...

Archived