IGNORED

What would happen to economy and culture if we were all QF

Witsec7

I'm not just talking about the Handmaids version, but what would happen to medicine, science, commerce,education, transportation, banking, industry if the patriarchy/ QF vision were the dominant force in our world?

Since many of these men refuse to get a real job since they can't even submit to a boss, I think the economy would go to the 9th circle of hell faster than I can say stay-at-home-mom.

It would be worst then Hell, only I don't know what could be worse than Hell?

Perhaps it would be like the fundie version of Paradise; singing, praising, groveling and being happy for all eternity, like in the old Twilight Zone episode where a man died and thought he was in Heaven because he had everything he wanted, but was actually in hell.

I see a return to the Dark Ages, 21st century style. Infrastructure would fall apart and there'd be no taxes or engineers to fix it. Government would devolve to local level, but the few wealthy would hire mercenaries to shake down settlements for supplies and/or money. Speaking of money, it would all be useless. Resistant strains of viruses and bacteria would emerge and no new scientists would be around to research and find cures, and the few supplies of innoculations, antibiotics, etc would be commandeered by the elite and then run out. No fuel for cars to speak of. Make do and mend all the way.

And as I die from some particularly virulent form of strep throat, I'd look into my adult son's eyes and say, "I'm sorry I brought you into this shitty world." :cry:

Well, the workforce would definitely suffer due to lack of workers (male and female). Women would drop out of the work force, have no education, and cause birthrates to skyrocket. All in all it would not be a good situation. I would also imagine that the amount of educated people would drop to an all time low.

Probably look something like Afghanistan, Yemen, Iran or Saudi Arabia (well, worse, since I think at least the women in those countries are allowed access to some birth control).

Those countries have a much more educated public than QF would allow.

I think Europe in the Dark Ages is closer to what they are aiming for.

A friend of mine traveled from India back to Europe by land last year (yeah, we all thought it was a BRILLIANT idea, especially for a woman traveling by herself), and she said that she felt as if she was back in the "West" when she entered Iran. The politicians are scary, they do follow the Sharia, BUT women can go to university etc. And from what my friend said, there's a lot of make-up and sexy clothing underneath those chadors. What I'm trying to say is - I think there are woman in Saudi Arabia and Iran who have more freedom than women like ZsuZsu have.

I agree, it'd be more like Europe in the Dark Ages than Little House on the Prairie.

That's really a world I don't want to imagine. Europe during the middle ages wasn't a good time for humanity, and repeating it would be the biggest failure ever, for humanity or anyone's god.

The Duggars and Santorums in the States probably want to go back to the 1950s, like in the 1950s sitcoms. Everyone and everything had specific functions in "the system". In sociology, it's called the structural-functionalist worldview and was quite popular in the 1950s. But what most of the QF-patriarchal types who want this perfect life forget is that life was not perfect for many. Some women over-medicated themselves with drugs to "keep sweet". People killed their neighbors and enemies, women were raped, and some had incest with their children. There were prisons and many overflowed with murderers, rapists, and sexual deviants, much like today. Asylums overflowed with "problem" children and women who didn't want to "keep sweet." If these QF-types would just take a basic sociology course, maybe they'd learn something and stop harking to a time when things just weren't so wonderful.

The 50's? My grandmother worked full time as a realtor, ran a ranch, and parented in her off hours. Her kids all went to private school and were involved in various activities, which kept her pretty busy. She divorced her husband when he consistently pissed her off--no abuse, they just were not meant to be together. Because she already brought in a decent income, it was not a huge deal for the family as far as finances go, and the kids were relieved. Believe me, the family is much healthier for not having Grandma and Grandpa together. I cannot even imagine what a train wreck that was.

Even in the fifties, things were not some Christian heaven. In fact, this story from the fifties sounds a lot like one in modern times--except that my grandfather did not have to pay child support and had not a chance in hell of getting custody of the kids despite being a generally better parent.

The 50's? My grandmother worked full time as a realtor, ran a ranch, and parented in her off hours. Her kids all went to private school and were involved in various activities, which kept her pretty busy. She divorced her husband when he consistently pissed her off--no abuse, they just were not meant to be together. Because she already brought in a decent income, it was not a huge deal for the family as far as finances go, and the kids were relieved. Believe me, the family is much healthier for not having Grandma and Grandpa together. I cannot even imagine what a train wreck that was.

Even in the fifties, things were not some Christian heaven. In fact, this story from the fifties sounds a lot like one in modern times--except that my grandfather did not have to pay child support and had not a chance in hell of getting custody of the kids despite being a generally better parent.

I tend to think that these QF-patriarchy types harp on the 1950s or the Little House on the Prairie times, when we both know those times weren't all so "picture perfect."

Hats off to your grandmother! She sounds like an amazing woman.

I tend to think that these QF-patriarchy types harp on the 1950s or the Little House on the Prairie times, when we both know those times weren't all so "picture perfect."

Hats off to your grandmother! She sounds like an amazing woman.

My grandmother was a formidable woman, but not meant to be a wife or a parent. She ditched her husband early on, never dated after the divorce, and was a very dysfunctional mother. I'd like to think that if she had been born fifty years later, she would embrace herself and be a happily single, childless woman with a kick-ass career. Maybe a lesbian (that is my suspicion).

A friend of mine traveled from India back to Europe by land last year (yeah, we all thought it was a BRILLIANT idea, especially for a woman traveling by herself), and she said that she felt as if she was back in the "West" when she entered Iran. The politicians are scary, they do follow the Sharia, BUT women can go to university etc. And from what my friend said, there's a lot of make-up and sexy clothing underneath those chadors. What I'm trying to say is - I think there are woman in Saudi Arabia and Iran who have more freedom than women like ZsuZsu have.

I agree, it'd be more like Europe in the Dark Ages than Little House on the Prairie.

I've seen some specials and documentaries on women in Saudi Arabia and Iran. Life is no day at the beach for them, but they're still allowed to work, go to school/university, stores in Saudi Arabia actually do stock 'sexy' clothing. Fundie women can't have any fun at all. At most, they're allowed to graduate high school and vote. wheeeeeee.

The 1950s don't scare me--there would still be co-educational schools, higher learning for women, scientific research, and a sense of can-do optimism. There would still be a functioning federal government and state and local government. Sure, it would be harder for women and minorities, but it would not be Europe in the Dark Ages, where scientific knowledge was lost or ground to a halt, and you only survived as long as the local war lord could (and cared to) protect you and your crappy little shack.

I've seen some specials and documentaries on women in Saudi Arabia and Iran. Life is no day at the beach for them, but they're still allowed to work, go to school/university, stores in Saudi Arabia actually do stock 'sexy' clothing. Fundie women can't have any fun at all. At most, they're allowed to graduate high school and vote. wheeeeeee.

Some fundie women aren't even allowed by their husbands to vote.

No military whatsoever, just desperate, effeminate men with M16 'Defending their Families'.

President Santorum would still have nukes, though.

No military whatsoever, just desperate, effeminate men with M16 'Defending their Families'.

President Santorum would still have nukes, though.

LOL I love how you use effeminate men, by which you mean Dougie. Because Doug definitely fits the stereotype of the Effeminate Misogynistic Guy.

Definitely, living under the Sharia is terrible for women, but Fundie Life really doesn't sound any better.

LOL I love how you use effeminate men, by which you mean Dougie. Because Doug definitely fits the stereotype of the Effeminate Misogynistic Guy

Dougie, Gothard, JB, etc. are all desperately masculine. Someone might find out their effeminate secret! The women, like Michelle, all are masculine while appearing ultra feminine. That's what Jender Roles will do to ya!

I agree with everyone who predict Europe in the Dark Ages. The wealthy would almost certainly become warlords, amassing private armies. I think it would look less like Saudi Arabia (has a centralised government and therefore has some interest in keeping the population happy enough to stay in line) and more like Sub-Saharan Africa. Food shortages/ starvation would become a problem very quickly because how many of the lesser fundies (ie Duggars) know how to grow their own food?

Archived