IGNORED

Rick Santorum says he was "tongue tied"

Jenesis Jexodus

Rick Santorum said Wednesday he was “tongue-tied†this weekend and didn’t actually say a word that has sparked a firestorm among some in the African-American community.

Talking about welfare programs at an Iowa campaign stop on Sunday, the Republican presidential candidate was quoted as saying, “I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them someone’s money. I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn the money.â€

The word “black†has become the focal point of controversy, but Santorum said Wednesday on CNN’s “John King, U.S.A.†that he didn’t recall using that particular word.

“It was probably a tongue-tied moment as opposed to something that was deliberate,†Santorum said, adding that he has watched the video several times and still can’t clearly hear the word.

The NAACP responded to his statement from Sunday, blasting the former Pennsylvania senator for “singling out†African-Americans as poor.

"Sen. Santorum's targeting of African-Americans is inaccurate and outrageous, and lifts up old race-based stereotypes about public assistance," said the group’s president, Benjamin Todd Jealous, in a statement. "He conflates welfare recipients with African-Americans, though federal benefits are in fact determined by income level.â€

Jealous said that in Iowa, for example, a strong majority of welfare recipients are white.

In my experience, people often seem to say what they really think and then realize how offensive it is and claim they just misspoke or were "tongue-tied".

If only Ann Coulter could admit that she was tongue-tied, but she doesn't, so she is self-admittingly bigoted, but she deludes herself that she isn't.

Now he's saying that he never said it. Even though it's on video clear as day.

They have no shame.

Well that's an interesting tactic when he's well aware of the video proving otherwise.

yes tongue tied he was going to say it and caught himself at the last minute. come on admit the truth.

Thank you! I don't mind if someone is a bigot, but I at least want them to be honest about it! So I can AVOID them.

-African American and neither caretaker was on welfare-

What I want to know is how AC is able to say "Santorum surge" on CNN and not burst out in an adorable fit of giggles.....

What I want to know is how AC is able to say "Santorum surge" on CNN and not burst out in an adorable fit of giggles.....

Oh, wouldn't it be the most excellent thing if AC broke down in one of his giggle fests again? Funniest thing ever!

After listening to the quote with my own little ears... Santorum did say...black. Totally not cool.

In my experience, people often seem to say what they really think and then realize how offensive it is and claim they just misspoke or were "tongue-tied".

Exactly. Ditto for the "I was drunk at the time" defense. Yeah, you messed up and the guard was down, we saw what you really think without the filters on.

Thank you! I don't mind if someone is a bigot, but I at least want them to be honest about it! So I can AVOID them.

-African American and neither caretaker was on welfare-

The sad thing is that even if he was an open bigot, he'd still have the same amount support that he has now.

Archived