IGNORED

On Proud Men

debrand

Urg. This young man's writing is annoying. Can fundies just read modern literature to discover how people write now and stop trying to emulate- badly- older writers? Please.

On Proud Men

When one encounters the gesticulations of proud men, one is tempted to two or three different responses: to ignore them completely, to succumb to the allure of brute force and slap them upside the face with an unsuspecting and appropriate implement, such as the complete cased Summa Theologica, or to retort with some witty repartee intended to bowl them so far backwards that they are left with a vague air of your own intellectual eminence, whether real or feigned, about the same time as they hit yesterday.

When fundamentalists are being honest, they come off very angry. What could have made him want to slap another man? Had the guy insulted him or just disagreed with him?

blog.skwurl.net/

There is not much, if anything, which can thrust a man so low and flood him with the shame of the conviction that he deserves all the contempt of his fellows as the effect that the proud man in his pride bestows through the medium of chest-puffing, hair combing, vocabulary-preening, et cetera. In other words, it is the sententious and egotistic man, the man of words and airs, the man who is married to the mirror which has been his constant companion these many years—it is this man which gives all men a bad name in the eyes of the opposite gender, it is this man who must by every moral law assume the responsible causality for many a suicidal thought.

Excuse my ignorance. Is he saying that vain men who care about their looks can cause other people to have suicidal thoughts? Maybe the writer is just jealous of men who look better than he does. And if he is trying to be humorous why not be more clear?

Note that the methods used by these loathsome cads will differ according to audience

What century does this person think that they are in?

In a company of athletes, they must be able to declare that they can pass off a 6 minute mile without breaking a sweat. In an assembly of cool kids he will acknowledge the effeminate poets while keeping his face straight

Okay, he thinks that liking poets is for sissies. Most of the cool kids that I knew in highschool weren't really into poetry. And I've never known anyone to bragg about not breaking into a sweat. Most people who work out view the presence of sweat as proof that they did something.

in the company of the fairer sex, he must needs have locks full combed, giving all real men near him the distinct impression that he pines for the dancing life of a Amazonian bird of paradise

:lol: What the hell? Why is brushing your hair considered wrong? Wanting the opposite sex to find you attractive is pretty normal.

It sounds like the young man has a case of jealousy and doesn't want to admit it.

In reality, with all his self-perceived excellence, or intellectual power, he is but half the farmer, half the mis-fit, and half the stupid retard.

What is up with the word, retard among these kids? They want to talk as if they lived in a bygone era but than try to claim that retard has a new, modern meaning.

The question then remains: how to deal with this sapient being, this worm, this squashed fly on the upper lip of all humanity, while still maintaining a healthy respect for the laws against assault, and the basic tenants of social communication?

Yes, how would Christ deal with someone that he dislikes? Actually, I think that Jesus would tell the young man to deal with his jealousy issues and leave the other guy alone.

The answer is simple: in the misquoted words of the Apostle, we must be all things to all men. To the proud man, we must show ourselves proud, delivering bloody satire for bloody satire, twisting our knives in his figurative stomach, and revealing that anyone can pretend to be smart, they just don’t choose to most of the time.

After all such vocal gargling is done, and if the offender still won’t keep his fat trap shut, there are but two courses left to take, both abandoning sociological norms and regulations: 1) to temporarily assume the disposition of a rabid orangoutang, spreading havoc, fire, and storm throughout whatever premises you happen to be upon, and then later pleading innocent before the tribunal and declaring that you were induced to madness by the aforementioned’s provocation, and 2) to contain this physical communication to but ye and he alone, demanding immediate satisfaction, to kill or be killed, and thus ending all fuss in a matter of moments.

Wow. His friends think that he is funny. I do also but not because he is clever. The overly flowery way of writing, the need to be seen as intelligent and the underconfidence ending in a desire to kill or be killed stikes me as ludicrous.

blog.skwurl.net/post/14209017547/on-proud-men#disqus_thread

By the way, he has a link to the Bayly Blog. It appears that the Bayly brothers examples of young manhood fall short. I am used to being around soldiers, both men and women. The young men that we have been discussing fall short of my military friends. None of the soldiers that I know would beat someone up for merely being better looking or more athletic

One should never use "gesticulations" in the same sentence as "slap upside the head."

Holy long sentences there, batman! Writing 100 word sentences* to appear smart or clever is not an effective form of communication. Trust me, sir, I was an English major with a writing minor.

* I didn't actually count words, I'm just using hyperbole here.

I thought for a sec when I was reading you 'heck, am I high again and imagining things?' but no, it's Wednesday only. Wow. That's even bad for a medieval age phuknuttry.

I wish these fundies would learn that using lots of big words, writing like they are from another time, and using Latin doesn't make them intelligent. It is the content that matters. And yes, between Josiah who supports slavery and wants to stone gay people and this guy who wants to beat up guys who are better looking than him, the Bayle brothers are doing a horrible job of inspiring young men to be godly.

I wish these fundies would learn that using lots of big words, writing like they are from another time, and using Latin doesn't make them intelligent. It is the content that matters. And yes, between Josiah who supports slavery and wants to stone gay people and this guy who wants to beat up guys who are better looking than him, the Bayle brothers are doing a horrible job of inspiring young men to be godly.

Supporting slavery (hello, 2012!!!!) is VERY christian, indeed. Heck, I'm feeling funny.

Maybe it's because they spend so much time with the KJV of the bible that they feel the need to use such flowery language. I was always taught that good writing meant your point was clear and easy to understand people shouldn't be saying "huh?" at the end. Sapient means insightful so he's not even using his big words correctly.

He's writing about himself. It's a negative self description, he can't stand himself so he subconsciously attempts to write about 'someone else'.

I think so too. People often do that. He cannot accept himself. As long as he cannot stand himself, he won't stand others either, that's the bad news.

I think so too. People often do that. He cannot accept himself. As long as he cannot stand himself, he won't stand others either, that's the bad news.

SO true!

Only read a few lines, and yeah just felt like breaking out the worlds tiniest violin!!!

:violin:

I kind of hope there's some form of humor and/or self-loathing in that...otherwise he's ringing the bell on the irony meter :roll:

I gave up after a couple of lines. No way was I going to try to hack my way through that jungle of eleventh-grade vocabulary words and bloated sentences! Listen to an old English teacher and tech writer, dear: less is more.

Archived