IGNORED

Nice, real nice. - GOP State Rep Kicks Disabled Son

Sola

The Bible does talk about the structure of earthly authority at home and in society, but nowhere is it mandated (or even permitted) for a believer to seek power merely for the sake of having it. Indeed, leaders are to be the servants of all - humble, lovers of mercy (Micah 6:8), and above reproach in their personal lives. Check it out:

1 Timothy 3:1-7 (King James Version)

1) This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work [ESV].

2) A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3) Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

4) One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

5) (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

6) Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

7) Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without [ESV]; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

So...

•Someone who desires leadership, and who is fit for it, will be more interested in the duties than in the title and office. That qualifier alone would rule out men with dynastic ambitions.

•He must be blameless. Folks currently under indictment need not apply.

•He must be hospitable. Someone who lives in a fortress well away from parishioners (or the electorate), and only deigns to see them from a stage once in awhile, because he doesn't want to soil himself, should be kept the hell away from power.

•He must not be violent.

•He must not be greedy. There's nothing wrong with having money, but the love of money - and the pursuit of it at any cost - is the root of all evil (1 Timothy 6:10).

•His children should also be good citizens, rather than spoiled embarrassments. [i was looking at you, Dumbya.]

•Outsiders may not like his positions but even they will recognize his fitness to lead.

If all the candidates ever touted by the religious right were held to that simple Biblical test, I daresay most of them would fail - and that, miserably, since many would be deficient in more than one area.

Infidelity, corruption, an addiction to unnecessary violence - these are common problems among those held up as ideal political (and church) leaders by certain religious-political organizations.

Mah blog post, from March 2010.

Because Sola said "cunt"? How is that misogynistic, unless referring to women's genitals is inherently more dirty and foul than referring to men's genitals? Why are women's sexual organs seen as more disgusting than men's?

If Sola had called him a knob or a bell-end I doubt you would be complaining. So why is it wrong to say cunt? I would like to know.

Because Sola said "cunt"? How is that misogynistic, unless referring to women's genitals is inherently more dirty and foul than referring to men's genitals? Why are women's sexual organs seen as more disgusting than men's?

If Sola had called him a knob or a bell-end I doubt you would be complaining. So why is it wrong to say cunt? I would like to know.

Because comparing a child abusing fuck to women's genitals is just ridiculous.

Because comparing a child abusing fuck to women's genitals is just ridiculous.

Yeah, that.

Vaginas are not evil. People who violently assault their disabled children are.

"Douche" is pretty popular because with extremely rare exceptions, douches are worse than useless for their intended purpose.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, that.

Vaginas are not evil. People who violently assault their disabled children are.

I was sort of following your reasoning, until you substituted 'cunt' for 'fuck'. Vaginas are not evil, but neither is fucking...

And he doesn't think he committed a crime. What the hell does he think he did? Merely administer a little "appropriate discipline"? What the fuck does he consider to be "abuse"? I wonder what on earth he does to that poor son of his at home???

vis-a-vis cunt, etc.

One of my sisters and I are on a campaign to replace "bitch" with "dick" as a term of contempt.

Now, reading your comments that a part of the anatomy is not inherent evil, and agreeing with such comments, I'm to the point that we must think in terms of adjectives instead of nouns.

Thus, we would substitute for cunt, fuck or dick, "loathesome individual" or "individual lower than feces fermenting at sewer's bottom."

it will take a little more thought than we're used to, but it could yield some wonderful epithets.

Just a thought.

"Douche" is pretty popular because with extremely rare exceptions, douches are worse than useless for their intended purpose.

I think "douche" is great for referring to a specific type of person...That said, it is not so useful as an all-purpose insult.

I have no words for this guy. As a female, I am not at all offended by "cunt." And he might particularly hate being called a cunt, in which case it's all the better.

I used to refer to evil little abusers like this as "pond scum" in my youth, until my mother told me that pond scum actually has more natural value than the likes of those people. Putrid piece of shit, this guy, though. Sorry for swearing, Mom, but better words just....fail me.

I am a feminist but I am hard pressed to identify with the word police. It is not inherently misogynistic to use the word "cunt" in a derogatory fashion. It IS misogynistic to treat women with contempt or disrespect. Sure words mean things but no one is going to interpret a derogatory use of the word "cunt" as inherently harmful to women. Paying them 70 cents on the dollar is. So let's not play language cops, mmkay? Perspective is everything, and this kind of thing just derails a good trashing of a fundy asshole.

That said:

Rep. Nicholas expects to have the matter settled before his court date in late December and has stated he will not resign his seat. “I don’t think I committed a crime, so why would I?†was his response when asked.

Here is a man in a public office who claims to not even be aware of the laws he is sworn to uphold. Kicking someone in the slats is bad enough, but to pretend that you somehow don't know what assault is or that asault is not a crime is beyond credulity. :angry-cussing:

I am a feminist but I am hard pressed to identify with the word police. It is not inherently misogynistic to use the word "cunt" in a derogatory fashion. It IS misogynistic to treat women with contempt or disrespect. Sure words mean things but no one is going to interpret a derogatory use of the word "cunt" as inherently harmful to women. Paying them 70 cents on the dollar is. So let's not play language cops, mmkay? Perspective is everything, and this kind of thing just derails a good trashing of a fundy asshole.

This. Not to mention that "word policing" is very similar to what fundies themselves do insofar as it is pedantic, legalistic, and misses the forest for the trees.

vis-a-vis cunt, etc.

One of my sisters and I are on a campaign to replace "bitch" with "dick" as a term of contempt.

Now, reading your comments that a part of the anatomy is not inherent evil, and agreeing with such comments, I'm to the point that we must think in terms of adjectives instead of nouns.

Thus, we would substitute for cunt, fuck or dick, "loathesome individual" or "individual lower than feces fermenting at sewer's bottom."

it will take a little more thought than we're used to, but it could yield some wonderful epithets.

Just a thought.

MJB, I used to call my father's second wife "the Shrieking Harpy from Hell". It was better than calling her a cunt to her face. And before you think low of me, this is a woman who laughed when her high school son raped me as little girl and joked about it the rest of her life and sadly she did much worse things to us kids.

Basic feminist education here: http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/ ... guage.html

A. Intent: If you're turning part of a woman's body into a slur to insult someone, the implication is necessarily that cunts are bad, nasty, less than, in some way something that a person wouldn't want to be or be associated with. That's how insults work. When cunt is used as a slur, it is dependent on construing a woman's body part negatively—and it thusly misogynistic, because it inexorably insults women in the process. Specifically using a misogynistic slur against a man can't be anything but intentionally misogynistic. If you don't intend to demean women, then don't use misogynistic slurs. It's really as simple as that.

Plenty of us have managed to figure out that refusing to use language which perpetuates oppression is not enslaving oneself to the language police. It's just doing the basic work required of someone who doesn't want to be a fucking asshole.

LadyPug, I am so, so sorry about what happened to you. *hugs*

Thank you, I had a lot of bad in my first 20 years. I can either choose to be bitter or suicidally depressed or I can choose to make my life worth living. I chose the latter knowing my past is what it is and it doesn't define me. :D

I was sort of following your reasoning, until you substituted 'cunt' for 'fuck'. Vaginas are not evil, but neither is fucking...

Agreed, most "swear words" really aren't. "Shit", "fuck", "asshole" etc. Not to mention we might call males by terms for penis ("dick"). So although I don't usually use it, I don't think "cunt" is that big a deal.

Archived