IGNORED

Fundies doing kind things?

Burris

I'm not trying to bring Balance to the Force here by asking this question. I'm just genuinely curious: Have you ever come across fundies and fundie-lites doing good - particularly for its own sake and not merely for show? What's the nicest thing you've seen a fundie say/do (to you or someone else)?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

As far as I know, the only "good" thing they tend to say/do is tell people they're going to hell, so they can convert to the fundie's brand of Christianity and be saved.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, of course. Among the fundies I knew (well, extremely conservative evangelicals in the UK, if that counts) there were many who would give you the coat off their back if you needed it. And definitely not for show because of the belief that when you give "your left hand shouldn't know what your right hand is doing".

The very kindest lady I know spends her time doing voluntary work with people who are homeless and/or vulnerable. She accepts their status for what it is and doesn't ever pass judgement on people who are stuck on the streets and often refuse help/services for various reasons that they are not able to overcome, in the time that many others expect them to overcome them. She does things for them that make me gag just thinking about it - one example is how she went out every day to a lady living in an alleyway in town, and washed and dressed her gangrenous feet, because the lady wouldn't/couldn't accept hospital treatment at that time. If this fundie sees a 'friend' that has been missed somehow by the mainstream services, she just stops right there and then and takes off her own coat/socks/whatever and just hands it over. I know this because I have seen it, not because she is a well-known figure, or her deeds publicised anywhere.

At the same time, my fundie friend holds all the beliefs that I find abhorrent - I don't get how she can believe that a homeless person is worthy of the coat off her own back, but that because of their sexual orientation and activity, God believes them to be not worthy of a place in heaven. But people are complex like that....

Guest Anonymous

My personal experience has been that fundies can be very kind, loving, and generous. To people who are just like them. If you're not one of their tribe, not so much. They may tolerate and even love a non-fundie family member who is an atheist or non-fundie, but beyond that I have not observed much kindness from them at all. If it's there, it has strings attached.

I'm not trying to bring Balance to the Force here by asking this question. I'm just genuinely curious: Have you ever come across fundies and fundie-lites doing good - particularly for its own sake and not merely for show? What's the nicest thing you've seen a fundie say/do (to you or someone else)?

In brooklyn I knew a fundie jewish family that fully educated their girls (in a religious school for girls). They owned and ran a soup kitchen that was an actual restaurant. I believe its still open, but its not a standard place. The menu has no prices and you pay in an envelope. When you are done with the meal you either put cash in the envelope and check off your own check with what you had, or check the box that says "thank you". When you leave no one knows if you paid because the envelopes are dropped in a box and only opened at the end of the day.

My personal experience has been that fundies can be very kind, loving, and generous. To people who are just like them. If you're not one of their tribe, not so much. They may tolerate and even love a non-fundie family member who is an atheist or non-fundie, but beyond that I have not observed much kindness from them at all. If it's there, it has strings attached.

THIS.

Yes, I have met fundies who take very seriously the whole of their beleifs - including helping those in need and not passing judgment on others. (or requiring them to listen to a testimony before receiving help)

Yes, there are times when I wonder if it's for show and I do wonder sometimes if the act is really altruistic or a tick mark on their "Christian" check list to keep them in biblical good standing. Still, I often suspect that of non-fundies, too.

Guest Anonymous

I wanted to clarify that I know people who believe in God who are awesome and do kind things all of the time. But they're liberal Christians and Muslims and Jews, etc. - not fundies.

I wanted to clarify that I know people who believe in God who are awesome and do kind things all of the time. But they're liberal Christians and Muslims and Jews, etc. - not fundies.

I agree. I think if they help people with no strings attached and don't judge others, they probably aren't fundies.

In brooklyn I knew a fundie jewish family that fully educated their girls (in a religious school for girls). They owned and ran a soup kitchen that was an actual restaurant. I believe its still open, but its not a standard place. The menu has no prices and you pay in an envelope. When you are done with the meal you either put cash in the envelope and check off your own check with what you had, or check the box that says "thank you". When you leave no one knows if you paid because the envelopes are dropped in a box and only opened at the end of the day.

Wow, interesting about the Brooklyn restaurant! I would guess that most people put $$ in the envelope. At least I hope so!

I know fundie-lite more mainstream Christians who are the give with no strings attatched type of people. But of the fundie group. No. I have been trying to think of a fundie I know who has done a nice thing for a non-fundie with no strings attatched and I can't. I can't think of any blogs either that have shown that.

I've read about that place. It's a good way to run a soup kitchen, because it doesn't have that reek of charity around it.

I have no personal experience with fundies, but I'm sure that a lot of them really do help others, and not in the "donating frumpers to Goodwill and telling everyone they'll go to hell" kind of way.

I think the ones we snark about on here are the ones looking for attention, while the ones who actually are decent people just keep a low profile.

I have no personal experience with fundies, but I'm sure that a lot of them really do help others, and not in the "donating frumpers to Goodwill and telling everyone they'll go to hell" kind of way.

If they do (and I personally think that's a big stretch), I think it's probably incidental to their fundie-ism. Kinda like I'm sure there's been at least one KKK member out there who's done something good for someone (actually, my (white) therapist told me a story about a KKK member helping him jump his car once when the battery died (he didn't know the guy was a KKK member until right before he left)) I think if a fundie did something good, it would be in spite of their fundiness, not because of it.

If they do (and I personally think that's a big stretch), I think it's probably incidental to their fundie-ism. Kinda like I'm sure there's been at least one KKK member out there who's done something good for someone (actually, my (white) therapist told me a story about a KKK member helping him jump his car once when the battery died (he didn't know the guy was a KKK member until right before he left)) I think if a fundie did something good, it would be in spite of their fundiness, not because of it.

I believe all people have some shred of decency in them. I don't buy that frumpers and KJV-only equals instant asshole. Even if they're homophobic, racist, whatever- they'd still give a hand to someone in need, and not to draw attention to themselves.

The fundies we snark on here are all selfish, narcissistic assholes, sure, but they're not the only fundies and there's probably some that really do help people without getting an urge to give them Chick tracts.

I used to be the secretary for a support group for parents of cleft affected children. It was started by a fundie lite woman. Because we were a 501©)3) non-profit, we were secular. She started the org strictly to help other parents who were facing the questions and unknown that she had faced. No preaching, no strings attached. It was nice because I got to meet a lot of very nice families who weren't uber religious (I live in the bible belt). That is the ONLY time I have seen this.

Frumpers and KJV-only doesn't automatically equal fundie either.

I'm proof of that. But hell, for all I know you all think I'm the biggest fundy asshole out there. :whistle:

I've read about that place. It's a good way to run a soup kitchen, because it doesn't have that reek of charity around it.

"shaming" someone is a no no, so this allows people to come and eat, have dignity, and keep kosher. I know MANY people who arent kosher who go there just to support the place.

I'm sure there are plenty of fundies who are very kind to everyone; unfortunately it often seems as though the more they get drawn into 'communities' the more inward-looking they become. When tornadoes struck Alabama, for example, Vision Forum raced to the assistance of a handful of very specific families. Of course you should look out for your friends first, but the general feeling seemed to be more like "These people are members of our club and therefore deserve our help" rather than "If only we had the resources to help everyone". The same sentiment can be seen in the formation of the absurd 'Bradrick: Brotherhood of Protectors' venture.

I've had too many experiences with Fundies doing and saying kind things that I could never count them all. One that particularly stand out in my mind is:

A Fundy neighbour offering to drive my (gay) friend to his (gay) wedding because the car service hadn't shown up at the house by the appointed time. I thought this was especially kind because his neighbour knew my friend was gay and on his way to marry a man. He took her up on the offer and thanked her, and when he got home the next day in his mailbox was a card from his neighbour wishing him all the best and happiness that life has to over. I believe it said something about God's blessings to him, but otherwise nothing religious. Definitely nothing preachy. My friend actually teared up when he read it.

There are probably some kind fundies out there, but I've never met one. I've done a lot of volunteer work and very religious people were always the judgiest, phoniest, and even most selfish.

I used to volunteer at a soup kitchen once a week. One woman ran the whole thing and did it every day, but I could only make it on Sundays. She had plenty of helpers, and sometimes groups would help out once a month or just as a one time thing. One time this conservative group of church ladies made a nice meal, and there was plenty left over. The woman in charge never wastes anything, and it would have been made into something else the next day. Except that the ladies all clamored to take the leftovers home with them. I guess it belonged to them and they were entitled to it, but it would have been more generous to let the homeless people have it the next day. It just seemed so weird to me, like they were just having a fun little outing and didn't think about the actual people going through the line.

I'm not trying to bring Balance to the Force here by asking this question. I'm just genuinely curious: Have you ever come across fundies and fundie-lites doing good - particularly for its own sake and not merely for show?

Evangelicals? Yes. I've known some incredibly compassionate, benevolent people who were sincere followers of Christ--not just Christians.

But fundamentalists? No. I've racked my brain, trying to think of one, but...no. Even the most conservative of the Christians I described above still wasn't a fundie.

No...I have met some who brag about helping "needy church families" but they don't leave the comfort zone to help others. While it is good to help those families, it can't be everything.

I contrast that with a guy I met recently who does outreach to drug addicts in his area who are HIV+ and resist treatment. He goes to bad places to help people who feel absolutely no connection to society and are completely lost and alone. That to me is far braver and better than "helping needy church families". He's an atheist.

I know Christians, Muslims and Jews with an utter dedication to help the poor and the suffering of all beliefs and none. They live out that dedication daily and some go to jail for it. None of them are fundie.

Archived