IGNORED

Washing Post "parenting" re: Duggars, J20 photos, privacy,

lauracat7

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-parenting/post/the-duggar-family-miscarriage-fetus-photos-and-the-new-meaning-of-private/2011/12/19/gIQAklWk4O_blog.html

Apologies if I missed this elsewhere here- just found it and thought others might also be interested in this view of the Jubilee 3 ring circus and general issue about the Duggar children's rights to privacy....

CHILDRENS' rights? What are those? Every True Christian knows that PARENTS are the ones who have the rights, and anyone spouting about 'childrens' rights' are teh ebil librulists.

It's nice to see that the media notices the hypocrisy of this situation too.

I agree. Maybe some people in the media will do deeper dugging into the Duggars' lives.

I agree. Maybe some people in the media will do deeper dugging into the Duggars' lives.

And people will finally stop defending the Duggars as JUST A NICE LOVING FAMILY, LOOK HOW HAPPY THOSE KIDS ARE, THEY LIVE WITHOUT DEBT, THEY ARE SO SWEET. That'd be great. Ugh.

Looks like a lot of former fans are spitting out the Kool-Aid. Nice article.

I have noticed that with some of the fans this past week. Even before Michelle announced the J20 pregnancy, some fans were spitting out the Kool-Aid. The Duggars have managed to hide certain things about their lives from cameras and their audiences. But the Internet has exposed their involvement with Gothard, ATI, and other fundie organizations.

I have seen people on various sites discuss how they started to spit the Kool-Aid. Some people used their common sense to do research when they noticed the things that seemed off with the Duggars.

Looks like a lot of former fans are spitting out the Kool-Aid. Nice article.

there is one right here! :lol: I used to like them because I grew up in a very mean and shitty family. Well... turns out I was quite lucky! compared to...

my ccomputer is being totally stupi. Can someone post the article here please or PM me with it?

Posted at 01:10 PM ET, 12/19/2011

The Duggar family: Miscarriage, fetus photos and the new meaning of ‘private’

By Janice D'Arcy

The Duggar family on the steps of the Capitol with Rep. John Boozman (R-Ark.), during a week-long trip to Washington. (Photo courtesy of TLC) Reality television thrives on controversy, whether the on-screen kind that ends in hair-pulling or the off-screen kind generated by television executives. Now, thanks to the enormous Duggar clan, reality television has delivered us a controversy that is far less superficial. And, in its own way, much more troubling.

Here’s the background:

Earlier this fall, parents Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, stars of the TLC show “19 Kids & Counting,†announced they were expecting their 20th child. A few weeks later, the deeply religious couple announced that Michelle had miscarried.

Anyone following the sad news might have thought there would be a period of media blackout for the grieving family. In fact, the public attention was just beginning.

The Duggars next announced they would hold a memorial service for the fetus that had been miscarried in the second trimester. TLC told the Daily Beast that the service was a “private†matter. But it wasn’t so private since People magazine reported on it.

The couple also took “artistic†photos of the fetus, whom they named Jubilee Shalom, and handed them out at the service.

A family member shared photos on Twitter and the gossip Web site TMZ got hold of them.

“There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world,†says one of the photos over a picture that looks like an up-close shot of tiny feet between Michelle’s fingers.

Though at first the family said they never meant for the photos to become public, one was soon featured on the family’s promotional Web site. The site also featured an audio letter from Michelle to Jubilee Shalom.

“We are blessed because you lived,†she says to her daughter.

The family’s decisions raise questions about the lines between public and private. A miscarriage can be devastating. Here, the sadness may well be heartfelt, but is it also being used as fodder for “reality†drama?

Reality television has been blurring the public-private line for years. With the Duggars, I’m not sure if it exists at all.

By Janice D'Arcy | 01:10 PM ET, 12/19/2011

Archived