IGNORED

Pat Robertson on SNL's Tebow skit

kpmom

I know this will come as a shock to no one, but Pat Robertson did not like SNL's Tebow/Jesus skit.

Here is his response;

"If this had been a Muslim country and they had done that, and had Muhammad doing that stuff, you would have found bombs being thrown off, and bodies on the street,†Robertson said, according to Mediaite. "We need more religious faith in our society, we're losing our moral compass in our nation."

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 ... bow-sketch

You know, I just don't get the "If this were a Muslim country and you did a skit about Mohammed, there'd be bombs and bodies all over the place." argument. We're not a Muslim country (or Christian, or Hindu, or...). Isn't that the whole point? That we can speak up and out without fear of bombs and bodies?

Yes, it would be dangerous to do a skit like that featuring Mohammed, even if you weren't in a Muslim country. So? Doesn't that reflect well on Christians that they can handle something like that better than fundamentalist Muslims (or Scientologists, for that matter)? This is such a stupid quote, and it's like he's suggesting Christians be more like those Muslims.

I know this will come as a shock to no one, but Pat Robertson did not like SNL's Tebow/Jesus skit.

Here is his response;

"If this had been a Muslim country and they had done that, and had Muhammad doing that stuff, you would have found bombs being thrown off, and bodies on the street,†Robertson said, according to Mediaite. "We need more religious faith in our society, we're losing our moral compass in our nation."

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/20 ... bow-sketch

You know, I just don't get the "If this were a Muslim country and you did a skit about Mohammed, there'd be bombs and bodies all over the place." argument. We're not a Muslim country (or Christian, or Hindu, or...). Isn't that the whole point? That we can speak up and out without fear of bombs and bodies?

Translate: Those fucking liberal homos in new york should not be allowed to continue being gay AND making fun of what I believe. I wish that I was allowed to kill them and that this behavior was prohibited. Freedom of speech and of religion is going to be the downfall of this nation because when you dont believe as I do everything is fucked.

Translate: Those fucking liberal homos in new york should not be allowed to continue being gay AND making fun of what I believe. I wish that I was allowed to kill them and that this behavior was prohibited. Freedom of speech and of religion is going to be the downfall of this nation because when you dont believe as I do everything is fucked.

Bravo.

Pat needs to learn to shut the hell up.

My 16 year old Christian son, on reading Pat Robertson's remarks:

"Oh my God, did you read that??? He just insinuated all Muslims blow up things when they're mad -- that is SO BIGOTED!!! How is that CHRISTIAN???"

Proud Mama. ; )

I was thinking something similar. Why do so many people like to make comparisons to how terrorists handle criticism. (I am not calling all Muslims terrorists. Only the ones who threaten cartoonists) My guess is that they secretly want to do the same things themselves.

In our society everything is up for satire. Religion shouldn't be behind some protective wall that prevents people from criticizing it. Besides, the comedy bit really wasn't that offensive. It never said that Jesus wasn't real or that Tebow wasn't a nice person.

Instead of being an ass like he usually is, Pat should be happy that Fundie Christians don't go apeshit like some Fundie Muslim do when aspects of their religion are laughed it.

What an idiot, I'm sure that, like a good Mullah, Pat would like for countries to have anti-blasphemy laws.

Reminds me of an email that my mom sent me about immigrants... comparing that illegal border crossers get shot in Middle Eastern countries or tortured in East Asian countries and only deported here. I wanted to say that I was pretty sure that the worst part of being illegal here is being forced to work for people who think you deserve to be shot for trying to do right by your poor family stuck in another country.

*Not saying illegal immigration isn't a problem, but casting illegal immigrants as evil or suggesting that America should take moral advice from bloodthirsty dictators is just beyond morally suspect to me.

Hate to tell you this Peg, but want SNL did was definitely not a "plug" for Mormonism. It was a slam.

Scott Pierce saw it clearly...you might want to read his column.

And learn how to read between the lines a little better, especially when those lines originate on SNL.

This is from the comments. I didnt see it as a slam at all.

Yeah, I don't think that commenter gets it. It was just a joke, not a slam and not an actual endorsement of Mormonism (and I don't think the SL Trib author seriously thought so either).

SNL has made fun of Muslims. Remember Adam Levine and Andy Samburg did that song about Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I don't recall any bombs being set off anywhere.

Besides the fact that Pat Robertson is a nutjob, what is with people getting so upset over this skit. It's SNL! They make fun of everyone! It's the whole point of the show. :angry-banghead:

Besides the fact that Pat Robertson is a nutjob, what is with people getting so upset over this skit. It's SNL! They make fun of everyone! It's the whole point of the show. :angry-banghead:

:text-yeahthat: If someone is too sensitive to take a joke, they can change the channel when shows like SNL come on, and if someone posts a link on their Facebook feed, they can hide that post or even unfriend that person.

The more people like Pat Robertson talk, the more it seems like they are calling on their Christian soldiers to start practicing violent acts against people who don't share their beliefs. They are more than fine justifying acts of people like Timothy McVeigh and Scott Roeder.

When it comes down to it, Falwell, Robertson, and all others of that ilk are not much different than bin Laden. Too scared to do the actual work of a lunatic themselves, but more than willing to stir the pot and order the weak minded around.

SNL has made fun of Muslims. Remember Adam Levine and Andy Samburg did that song about Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. I don't recall any bombs being set off anywhere.

I remember that sketch. I think there have been other sketches about Muslims before and there have also been sketches that made fun of Jews too.

Back in the 90's, there were several sketches in which Phil Hartman played Jesus in different situations and I also remember in the late 90's, Will Ferrell played Jesus a few times. Years ago, SNL sketches only got a lot of attention if they were really controversial. Now in days with Hulu and online streaming, sketches are being viewed by more people and some sketches gain popularity despite people not watching the show during airing times.

Honestly, it was a joke, and a funny one at that. These guys need to lighten up.

No kidding. This is the show that gave us "Scheddy Balls" and "Dick in a Box!"

If you're famous you are not immune to getting snarked on by SNL.

But this is exactly what defines fundie: They won't rest until the rest of the world falls in line with them. There will be none of this "agreeing to disagree". And certainly there will be no ignoring that which they find offensive.

Seriously, why can't these people take a joke? If anything, the skit's overall message mirrored a "god helps those who help themselves" pro-religion message, with a few good-natured ribs at Tebow, who probably got a kick out of it. I found the skit neither offensive or insensitive. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you can guarantee everyone else is laughing at you. :)

Seriously, why can't these people take a joke? If anything, the skit's overall message mirrored a "god helps those who help themselves" pro-religion message, with a few good-natured ribs at Tebow, who probably got a kick out of it. I found the skit neither offensive or insensitive. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you can guarantee everyone else is laughing at you. :)

I am not sure he got a kick out of it. Rumor is he has a crappy sense of humor when it is directed at him.

I am not sure he got a kick out of it. Rumor is he has a crappy sense of humor when it is directed at him.

I think extreme right-wing fundies and conservatives have their funny bones revmoved at birth.

No kidding. This is the show that gave us "Scheddy Balls" and "Dick in a Box!"

If you're famous you are not immune to getting snarked on by SNL.

Oh, snap, it's almost christmas. I know what I'm going to go watch!

Archived