IGNORED

FLDS "purging itself of outside influence"

SALT LAKE CITY — A new crackdown on followers of Warren Jeffs by his own lieutenants, and a ban on such everyday items as children's toys, have triggered turmoil in the FLDS community. Former members of the group say a large-scale purge is underway in the twin towns of Colorado City, Arizona and Hildale, Utah. Many followers of the imprisoned polygamist leader are being forced out and many others are said to be leaving voluntarily because they're disturbed by what's going on. "A lot of people are scared; a lot of people are just getting tired," said Isaac Wyler, a former member of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. "With the numbers of people that are being kicked out right now, yeah, I'd say it's a purge."

With the numbers of people that are being kicked out right now, yeah, I'd say it's a purge,

–Isaac Wyler, former FLDS member

Among the new edicts, according to Wyler, is a ban children's toys. "Also," Wyler said, "they have been told to get rid of their bicycles and trampolines." Observers say it's part of a program to cleanse and purify FLDS members, with a deadline of Dec. 31. FLDS faithful reportedly have to profess their loyalty to Jeffs and to show they're obeying his moral edicts. If they don't do so by the end of the year, they're out. Attempts to reach FLDS leaders for a statement were unsuccessful. One person who has acted as an FLDS spokesman in the past said he believes the leaders would have no comment on the new developments.

Convicted child-rapist Warren Jeffs is reportedly still pulling the strings from his prison cell in Texas. Former members say his edicts are passed on through phone calls to FLDS leaders. His brother, Lyle Jeffs, appears to be the most powerful FLDS leader outside of prison. Tensions are on the rise, according to private investigator Sam Brower who has tracked the group's activities for years. "I think Warren's getting them wound up pretty tight," Brower said. "I worry now more than I ever have before." More than 100 used bikes are for sale at a business alongside the highway in the FLDS community. Brower said he knows an ousted FLDS member who tried to give bicycles as gifts to his estranged children who are living with their mother under FLDS control. "He brought brand new bicycles to his kids," Brower said, "An hour later they were in the dumpster."

They've completely banned Internet from Colorado City. They don't talk to anybody on the outside unless it's for business.

–Carlos Holm, relative for FLDS members

Former member Carlos Holm, who has numerous relatives in the group, said many FLDS members are quitting or expecting to be forced out by Dec. 31. Holm said FLDS leaders are cracking down on entertainment and outside sources of information, enforcing bans on DVD movies, news media content and the like. "They've completely banned the Internet from Colorado City," Holm said. "They don't talk to anybody on the outside unless it's for business reasons." He also said FLDS members were ordered to make a list of their personal possessions. "And they're supposed to write down everything they had," Holm said, "every last item in their house — from a dish-cloth to every butter knife — everything they owned. And if they owned any movies they were supposed to write that too. But they'd obviously lie about it so they wouldn't be kicked out."

FLDS families have been told to turn over $5,000 to the church, Brower said, and all members have been told they must be re-baptized by Dec. 31.

Wyler said members are required to profess their loyalty to Jeffs in personal interrogations by the end of the year. "They're going to ask them if they believe that Warren Jeffs is the prophet of God and will they obey him 100 percent, and things like that," Wyler said. Interrogations have been so intense, focusing on intimate sexual matters, that many are quitting before they're kicked out, Wyler said. "They're just leaving. They're just saying the questions they ask are way too personal and they feel violated when they're done," he said. He believes by the end of the year, hundreds will have quit or been kicked out. Typically, departing members leave behind fractured families because church leaders reassign their wives and children to faithful FLDS members. The disruption of family life could put FLDS leaders in danger, according to Holm. "There will be violence," Holm said, "because people have been, their whole entire life has been completely destroyed by Warren Jeffs."

"They're having meetings every day. (Warren Jeffs is) backing them against the wall."

–Sam Brower, private investigator

Wyler and Brower said the bans on toys and bicycles stems from printed declarations by Jeffs. He has taught that children should not be encouraged to play but should be put to work and, in the case of girls, be turned into mothers. "His purpose is to take all the joy out of life," Brower said. Wyler said a ban on toys is not a surprise, since similar bans have been in effect for years at the FLDS ranch in Texas. "They'll do anything in a cult," Wyler said. "To me, it's a cult. And the more control they gain over the people the more cultish it becomes." Brower also worries increasing pressure by Jeffs on his own followers is a sign of a dangerous tendency. "They're having meetings every day. He's backing them against the wall," Brower said, comparing Jeffs to such notorious religious leaders as David Koresh and Rev. Jim Jones.

"It's getting really weird," Brower said. "The rabid 'Warren-ites' are taking over." On Monday, Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff received a mailing of purported revelations from Jeffs. The writings claim that God wants imprisoned polygamists released. They also predict death and destruction to countries that don't "cleanse" themselves, including the United States. Brower said he has information that three truckloads of "revelations" were mailed last week from Colorado City, presumably copies of the documents received by Shurtleff. Email: hollenhorst@ksl.com

(source: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=18374088 via Sister Wives Blog)

I'm fascinated with the FLDS and follow them cursorily in the news. After reading the Brower book, and Elissa Wall's book recently, i'm just so sad for this group. No toys? It really is starting to feel less "off the wall fundamentalist group" and more "crazy koresh cult".

Wow and "holy crap." Sounds like Warren's going for his own "Reformation" here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_Reformation)

This blog (texasflds.wordpress.com) generally keeps up with the latest in Warren's megalomania. The comments are where the good stuff is.

texasflds.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/general-discussion-67-warrens-latest-revelations/ --scroll down to December 5/6.

Sounds like Christmas is going to really suck for the kids of the Creek. I feel for them! Not so much for the parents.

ETA:

Slideshow of some ginormous building going up at the YFZ ranch in Eldorado. See the size of the cars and construction equipment as compared to the building!

http://www.eldoradoflds.us/yfz-11-28-2011/

Another story from the San Angelo Standard-Times about what Warren's doing:

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2011/de ... followers/

i know! they're having to give away their bikes and all their toys. i just...can't.

eta: thanks for that blog link, mirele! i haven't seen that one. duly bookmarked.

So basically, Warren Jeffs has lost all power and control over his daily life, and because he's obviously addicted to power and control he's going to tighten the control he has over his followers just to get his "fix". That article was chilling--I'm actually scared for those people, especially the women and children. I'll be really interested to see what happens December 31st, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of Jonestown-style tragedy occur (not necessarily on the 31st).

Truth be told, contrary, I've felt more vibes of "crazy Koresh cult" coming from the FLDS even before now. This is one group that actually scares me. The fact that girls under the legal age of consent are being forced into polygamist marriages to much older men should've been a warning sign to most of the parents as it is. :( But at least some kind of fire has been lit under them, even if it takes something way less serious as getting rid of their kids' toys.

I've got tears in my eyes, and that doesn't happen often just from reading something.

Those poor children are being raised in Hell.

I can only hope that people continue to leave voluntarily and be ousted, until he has nobody left under his control, and then he rots in prison.

I've got tears in my eyes, and that doesn't happen often just from reading something.

Those poor children are being raised in Hell.

I can only hope that people continue to leave voluntarily and be ousted, until he has nobody left under his control, and then he rots in prison.

Or he could just do everyone a favor and die. Unfortunately, there's probably already someone (his brother?) waiting in the wings in case he does die.

Or he could just do everyone a favor and die. Unfortunately, there's probably already someone (his brother?) waiting in the wings in case he does die.

He's got plenty of those/cousins/other incestuous types. *shudder* It's hard to tell who is actually related to whom these days given that Warren and his father believed in excommunicating men who "disobeyed" and then reassigning the wives and kids to another man.

The fact that girls under the legal age of consent are being forced into polygamist marriages to much older men should've been a warning sign to most of the parents as it is.

The other question is "What happens to the boys"? Yes, yes, I know, "the patriarchy hurts men too", but seriously - polygyny* only works when you have more women than men. If all your young girls are being married off in droves to older men, you have a lot of unmarried young boys doing... what?

Being kicked out, uneducated and unprepared for the world, mostly. It sucks for everyone, and it's hard for me to see why ANY of them are left. Even the ones at the top, I don't get it.

*That'd be plural marriage of women. One woman with many husbands would be polyandry.

The other question is "What happens to the boys"? Yes, yes, I know, "the patriarchy hurts men too", but seriously - polygyny* only works when you have more women than men. If all your young girls are being married off in droves to older men, you have a lot of unmarried young boys doing... what?

Being kicked out, uneducated and unprepared for the world, mostly. It sucks for everyone, and it's hard for me to see why ANY of them are left. Even the ones at the top, I don't get it.

*That'd be plural marriage of women. One woman with many husbands would be polyandry.

Getting "excommunicated" for various minor offenses. The FLDS are notorious for finding reasons to get rid of the young men in their community so that there are more potential "wives" for the older men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_boys_ ... amentalism)

I thought they already had to give up toys. Maybe it was certain types of toys? ffs, let the children be children or they will leave. These extreme upbringings rarely produce loyal members. Even if they live in an FLDS community, the kids are going to find out at some point about the wonder that is American childhood and be really pissed off that it was withheld from them.

You have to wonder whether this will affect the children's intelligence and motor skills as adults. People learn a lot from playing.

-

A lot of young boys are kicked out as soon as they are old enough to notice girls and vice-versa. They're uneducated and have zero idea about how the real world works. Google "FLDS lost boys" and you'll find quite a bit reading material.

I'm also slightly obsessed with the FLDS. I have Sam Bower and Elissa Wall's books, both of Carolyn Jessop's and just finished "The Favorite Wife" by Susan Ray (?)

I was wondering that as well. Perhaps they are just cracking down more. I had heard that the kids were not allowed to have toys, but I assumed that things like bicycles were allowed simply because they are functional and good for the kids.

Ouch! Creepy....

These new edicts from the W. Jefs' FLDS cult make the Duggars and the Bates look positively worldly.

Ouch! Creepy....

These new edicts from the W. Jefs' FLDS cult make the Duggars and the Bates look positively worldly kind and loving.

Fixed that for you.

That guy thinks things are just now getting weird? You can tell he was raised in the cult.

Could this be old news? Because this stuff was going on before Warren Jeffs went to jail.

Not old news...and Warren's been in jail five years now. It's a long enough time for things to get lax, and for kids to get dolls and trains and bicycles and trampolines...all stuff that has to be sold up now to pay the extra $5K/month "assessment." Fuck Warren. I wish there was some way he could have his communications restricted so he wouldn't keep sending out these proclamations.

Wasn't this a pre-jailtime pattern, though - periodic purges & restrictions, then loosening up, then doing it again?

I know I've read about TV being here/gone/here/gone in some of the memoirs.

I cannot confirm this with my 5 seconds of Google searching, but I have read in several places that FLDS women punish crying babies by putting their faces under cold running water. So I guess the kids don't really have a chance, even if they were allowed a few legos or a trampoline.

I mean, if a mother will do that to her infant, there is probably no limit to what she will do for the religion.

I cannot confirm this with my 5 seconds of Google searching, but I have read in several places that FLDS women punish crying babies by putting their faces under cold running water. So I guess the kids don't really have a chance, even if they were allowed a few legos or a trampoline.

I mean, if a mother will do that to her infant, there is probably no limit to what she will do for the religion.

This makes me want to cry and beat the hell out of these women at the same time.

Archived