IGNORED

Does FJ have a glossary thread?

crazyforkate

If so, where is it? If not, can we make one? I'm constantly running into unfamiliar terms, and other newbies would also appreciate it, I think. For example, I've seen this a lot, but I don't really get what "defrauding" is. What do you guys think?

That sounds like a Yah-some idea to me. :D

It could also have our favorite acronyms (ie: SOTDRT, TTC (as Tater Tot Casserole of course), etc). Not to mention FJ 'slang' (such as Yah-some itself) and where it came from, and fundie vocabulary.

That would be really great. It took me month to figure out what SOTDRT means. Most of the people here use that term so fluently that I was too embarassed to admit that I had no clue what it meant.

Also, maybe someone can post a glossery of the more frequently mentioned blogs? I'm familiar with just a couple, but besides the Maxwells and Bates I'm kinda clueless.

As a matter of fact, SOTDRT is exactly an acronym I've been wondering about but hoping to "crack the code" on my own rather than having to ask...

In case you are tired of thinking it's in the spoiler tag, otherwise; good luck!

SOTDRT: School of the dining room table

Also, maybe someone can post a glossery of the more frequently mentioned blogs? I'm familiar with just a couple, but besides the Maxwells and Bates I'm kinda clueless.

There is a sticky thread on the common blogs we discuss.

i think a thread dedicated to terms used here on fj would be a good idea...i still stumble on acronyms that i don't understand!

Dna! (my favorite)

Chickenetti

flounce

troll

the reason for the nail polish discussion

the origin of riffle

Damitol, now I'm waxing all nostalgic over the magic that was Dna and Emily. *sniffle* (hey, it rhymes with "riffle!")

We should probably also include nicknames, their origins, and such

DQ, Dairy Queen, Jichelle, J'mullet, Juterus, ofJim Bob (obviously some are easier to figure out than others

Jim Boob, Dim Bulb

Smuggar, ofSmuggar, Joshie's Girl

TTH (I just saw this one today for the tinker toy house)

CTBHHM (Created to be his help meet)

TTC

ISB

That's all I can think of know. We keep talking about this and it never gets implemented. Who do we need to talk to about it?

I had to look up up QFT, which is "quoted for truth" not "quit f'ing talking". I had my feelings hurt by my own ignorance.

Ah, Em and Dna; they were my delurk fundies. Good times.

The poor drama of the woman giiving bith unaided and in danger. That was my first all day FJ nail biiting experience. And we need a fundie marriage flow chart. I seriously had one for awhile, on paper, but I was single, childless and jobless @the the time.

We should probably also include nicknames, their origins, and such

DQ, Dairy Queen, Jichelle, J'mullet, Juterus, ofJim Bob (obviously some are easier to figure out than others

Jim Boob, Dim Bulb

Smuggar, ofSmuggar, Joshie's Girl

TTH (I just saw this one today for the tinker toy house)

CTBHHM (Created to be his help meet)

TTC

ISB

That's all I can think of know. We keep talking about this and it never gets implemented. Who do we need to talk to about it?

I know I can take credit for "Dim Bulb." I used it first on TWOP and likely used it here (and DWOP; I'm a regular at all 3) the same day. I forget the exact circumstance, but I remember Boob was being even more of a buffoon than usual, probably pontificating about something painfully obvious.

Gonna go down the list and show y'all how much free time I have. ;)

Defrauding - Alluring, sexy, ie a low-cut top on a woman.

SOTDRT - School of the Dining Room Table. Usually used to make fun of bad fundie homeschoolers that are into homeschooling (also known as "homeskooling") more for the ability to shelter their children than for the educational benefits.

riffles -

SAHD - Outside of the Vision Forum/ATI crowd, this means "stay at home dad" but in FJ terms it's "stay at home daughter", a girl who chooses to stay at home and learn the womanly art of being a wife instead of going to college, because dontchaknow, college is a waste of time, morally degrading, and you don't really learn anything (just as Anna Maxwell!).

SAHM - stay at home mom

SAHW - Stay at home wife, I think?

CPS - Child Protective Services. People you call when you find out your neighbor is neglecting and/or beating their children and you want them to be taken out so they can get help.

PP - Pissing Preacher - Steven Anderson. Pastor of the Faithful Word Baptist Church in Arizona. Believes God hates "homos" (and all "homos" are out to molest your children and hurt you), it's okay to judge, hate, and call people names, 9-11 was an inside job, and male gynecologists are perverts. Has, among many other sermons, a diatribe on YouTube about men who sit down to pee and how they aren't manly men but in fact "faggots" because they sit instead of stand to pee.

Dna - Dan Pierce, husband of Emily of "Under 1000 Per Month"--a blog about trying to feed, clothe, and house a family of 5 (and counting) for under $1000 a month. Janitor at Walmart, had horrible spelling (hence "Dna"--jumbled up version of "Dan") and a blog called "Rant of Dan". Briefly attended a Bible college, was also momentarily Catholic before again converting to something else.

Emily - Quiverful author of the Under $1000 Per Month blog (see above) which stirred up controversy for the extremely small quanitities of food she fed her family (1/4 of a spaghetti squash to feed dad, pregnant mama, and 2 toddlers), unsanitary home (using a dress and some old dirty books to strain the liquid from homemade cheese of some sort; filthy bed sheets; washing clothes and cloth diapers by hand in the shower with the children helping), dangerous "decor" (storage boxes stacked to the ceiling, the childrens' room crowded with makeshift shelves close enough to the crib so that whatever was stacked on it could fall and injur the child), and bizarre behaviour (claiming to eat according to Nourishing Traditions while feeding her family Dollar Store tube-meat; claiming that she could house 13 children in her small 2-bedroom apartment; after being given a new organic toddler mattress by a generous member of Free Jinger she sold it so she'd have some money and thanked the giver of the mattress because her children loved to play with the cardboard box it came in).

Chickenetti - Disgusting meal courtesy of Anna Duggar. Spaghetti, cream of chicken soup, velveeta, RoTel, cheese, and chicken, baked and served with yet more refined carbs and bad fat (cheese biscuits).

flounce - When someone's called out for their crap and instead of quietly leaving, they choose to leave in a blaze of not-so-glorious glory. If fundie, they will probably add a few statements of "May God have mercy on your poor soul" or "I will pray for your salvation", polite fundie terms for "Oh, and by the way, f--- you!"

troll - Someone who joins a forum to stir up trouble. Thrives on drama. Don't feed the troll!

Smuggar - Nickname for the ever-smug Joshua Duggar.

ofSmuggar/Joshie's Girl - ofName comes from the Handmaid's Tale. "Handmaid names consist of the word “of†followed by the name of the Handmaid’s Commander". (source). Joshy/Joshie's Girl comes from an episode where Anna is zipping up her makeup bag. If you look closely, it has "Joshy Girl" embroidered in pink on one side.

TTH - tinker toy house - nickname given to the Duggars' 7,000 square foot home which was built by the Duggar family (and "a little help" from friends and TLC) from two Kodiac steel frame home kits.

CTBHHM (Created to be his help meet) - A true gem of a book by Debi Pearl which claims that you should stay with your husband no matter what, even if he abuses you, and that as a woman, everything is your fault.

TTC - On non-Duggar forums, this means "trying to conceive" ("We've been TTC for 8 months") but here on Free Jinger it's tater-tot casserole, the Duggars' famous family favorite meal. Ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, and tater tots, baked until the tots are crispy.

ISB - Idle Speculation Bus. "I'm just riding the ISB here but last night's episode makes me think there might be a courtship in the works for John David!"

Reversal Anna & Non Reversal Anna - Refers to Anna Maxwell and Anna Maxwell. The Maxwells have a daughter named Anna. In October 2010 their son Christopher married Anna Hamilton so now there are two Anna Maxwells. The Maxwells can't have TWO Annas so they began referring to Christopher's Anna as "Anna Marie". We all thought it was tacky so Anna Maxwell has been christened Reversal Anna, Anna (Hamilton) Maxwell is now Non-Reversal Anna. The "Reversal" portion comes from the fact that the youngest 5 Maxwells are "Reversal Babies", ie babies born to them after Steve had a vasectomy reversal. Sarah Maxwell (Reversal Anna's older sister) frequently refers to the younger 5 children as "Our reversal babies". How she's involved so that they're "our" babies is a mystery. ;)

Frumpers - Frumpy jumpers, a long dress typically worn over another shirt, much like overalls but in dress form. Commonly seen with cheesy embroidery on the bust and/or worn with baggy t-shirts underneath and sneakers with white socks. Something your 2nd grade substitute teacher would have worn in 1986.

I know I can take credit for "Dim Bulb." I used it first on TWOP and likely used it here (and DWOP; I'm a regular at all 3) the same day. I forget the exact circumstance, but I remember Boob was being even more of a buffoon than usual, probably pontificating about something painfully obvious.

May I congratulate you on a truly brilliant idea (pun only halfway intended, I really do think it is brilliant and highly appropriate!!) :D

That would be really great. It took me month to figure out what SOTDRT means. Most of the people here use that term so fluently that I was too embarassed to admit that I had no clue what it meant.

What does it mean??

I know now, thanks Jessica!!

Archived