IGNORED

Pillow in the crib?

ladypuglover

I popped over to the Morton blog to see what was up and it looks like the new grandbaby is in the crib with a pillow. A huge pillow that is contorting the baby's neck. Please someone tell me I am seeing things or that it was just for the photo shoot. Please. Someone. Anyone.

zno32w.jpg

b3v3fm.jpg

My youngest is almost 10 but isn't it deadly to have a pillow of any size in the crib with the baby? Do the doctors tell you different now?

I really hope they just stuck the pillow in to prop the baby for the photo or some other reason (while baby is awake). It is an absolute no no to have a pilow in a crib with an unattended baby.

Maybe it is because mine were preemies and I'm over reacting but that "photo shoot" would have caused serious breathing problems for my sons. They had to have a cookie sheet under their bassinet mattress to add frimness and to prop the baby up to a certian degree. So you roll up a few bath towels and place those under the cookie sheet at one end, then the mattress, then the baby. Same effect of how they will tilt the baby in the hospital but home job fix up. Granted this is a full term baby, but I doubt pillows are good for any baby under 2 years of age. And damn, that pillow is the size of the crib.

Guest Anonymous

Any pillow is thought to be dangerous, but a pillow bigger than the baby that could easily double over onto his face is outright stupidity. :|

I do hope it was just for the photo shoot....

Related: did anyone see MckMama's outraged post about the ads in her town? She was all "wah wah wah I'm appalled at this fear-mongering!" But the ads were clearly showing very dangerous co-sleeping conditions (soft beds, big pillows, adult comforters, etc). So sorry, Mck, if that's how you co-sleep your kids really would be better off in a crib.

Here's her post: mycharmingkids.net/2011/11/milwaukees-new-co-sleeping-ads/

I don't know who the Morton family is, but do they have a comment section where someone can tell her the pillow is really unsafe, just in case somehow they don't know?

I don't have kids, but even I know that you don't put pillows in the crib!!

I can't remember if you're supposed to put a baby on his/her back or tummy, though.

I don't have kids, but even I know that you don't put pillows in the crib!!

I can't remember if you're supposed to put a baby on his/her back or tummy, though.

It's back nowadays. My baby started rolling onto his tummy at 5 months though and now we just go ahead and put him down on his tummy (he's 7 months now). It made more sense than flipping him all night or putting something in his crib to keep him in place.

It's back nowadays. My baby started rolling onto his tummy at 5 months though and now we just go ahead and put him down on his tummy (he's 7 months now). It made more sense than flipping him all night or putting something in his crib to keep him in place.

If he can roll over, it should be fine. It's believed that the risk is if the baby is still to young to move his or her head if they're in a position that's hard to breath. It takes a lot more strength and coordination to move your head when you're on your stomach than your back.

Ugh my MIL always wanted to put s pillow in my kids crib, and I was always the bitch who made her take them out. I'd rather be a bitch than find my baby dead. I think the pillow in the crib thing is something a lot of grandmas want to do. It's up to us to stand up and say yhe guidelines have changed.

Pillows are a big no-no, as are blankets, stuffed animals, and more recently, crib bumpers. Parents are told to put their babies to sleep on their backs, except some preemies, who are supposed to be put on their bellies. I'm not sure why, though- my kids were all full-term.

Pillows are a big no-no, as are blankets, stuffed animals, and more recently, crib bumpers. Parents are told to put their babies to sleep on their backs, except some preemies, who are supposed to be put on their bellies. I'm not sure why, though- my kids were all full-term.

It might have something to do with the swallow reflex, if a baby can't swallow their spit they risk choking on it, in their belly gravity takes care of that.

You know what that looks like to me? One of those cushy down mats. If you look closely you can see the mat tied to the top of the back side of the crib, and then again by the big kid's legs.

I have a friend who uses those mats in different sizes for various things, even under the slipcovers on her sofa.

Related: did anyone see MckMama's outraged post about the ads in her town? She was all "wah wah wah I'm appalled at this fear-mongering!" But the ads were clearly showing very dangerous co-sleeping conditions (soft beds, big pillows, adult comforters, etc). So sorry, Mck, if that's how you co-sleep your kids really would be better off in a crib.

Oh I saw some complaining about that on facebook. Fun stuff. And Catholic Answers is in on it too: http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=616497

Yes, education is great, but the best thing is to get the deaths stopped first! Gotta love new parents getting all butthurt over health campaigns addressing the actually irresponsible parents . . .

[insert sarcastic comment about irony of pro-life people being upset by campaigns like this]

Ugh my MIL always wanted to put s pillow in my kids crib, and I was always the bitch who made her take them out. I'd rather be a bitch than find my baby dead. I think the pillow in the crib thing is something a lot of grandmas want to do. It's up to us to stand up and say yhe guidelines have changed.

PUHLEEZE. How condescending.

I am a Grandma. I never put a pillow in my own daughters' crib. I wouldn't put a pillow in my grandbaby's crib.

The "guideline" has not changed. The instruction was "no pillow" when mine were babies, too. Besides, it's pretty much common sense.

OMG she's in Wisconsin now? They probably left MN with a ton of debt and now want to set up shop in a new state. Good Grief.

Re: the OP

My kids didn't have pillows until they were out of the crib. We had bumpers on the twin bed when either of them stayed at Grandmas house. They were happiest with their character quilts and a soft place to lie down.

Like my kids, my grandkids sleep with me when they're babies and in my care. There are pillows. But also me, with them in a comforting embrace. All night.

I haven't been around a crib in decades. Are they all this small nowadays?

No, that's one of those cradle/porta-cribs. I recognize it, I used one for my daughter. Er, not that exact one though. Mine was new, met the safety standards, and didn't have a giant pillow in it.

PUHLEEZE. How condescending.

No. It's just that the whole Back to Sleep program didn't even start until the mid 90s. By that time most of the women I know who are grandmothers were already long done having babies.

No blankets? Really? pillows and stuffed animals make sense. I don't know what crib bumpers are, but blankets? what's wrong with those? And In certain climates, they really can be quite necessary.

That is what those sleep sacks are for. You can use a thin blanket, but it is not enough in Washington winters.

Archived