IGNORED

Recovering Grace takes on ATI's approach to the Quiverfull..

MerryHappy

I totally feel an urge to jump in and add a comment to the "BC kills babies" part of the comment thread but I don't know if it would do any good.

God, I am *so tired* of every article about planning your family turning into an abortion debate!!!

I'm on the pill, and I believe (as the medical professionals here have explained) that it does not "cause abortion" any more than being a woman and having a hormone/fertility cycle "causes abortion."

(for the record, I'm also pro choice, but I don't think I would personally choose to have an abortion...though I've never been in that situation so I don't know for sure).

I am glad to see that some of the comments on that RG site are quite pro-birthcontrol, and some folks are refusing to disclose their BC choices, which is as it should be.

Really, what they mean by 'the pill causes abortions'? I thought the whole point of the pill was to prevent pregnancies before they happen.

Pardon my ignorance; I never had a comprehensive sex education.

AnnoDomini, it relates to the mechanism of hormonal birth control thinning the lining of the uterus, thus conceivably (lol) making it inhospitable to implantation--which, if one believes life begins at conception, constitutes abortion of an already begun life/pregnancy.

But I think there was a long thread the last couple of days that pretty much covered the subject. Can't remember the title though, maybe someone else can point you to it?

Really, what they mean by 'the pill causes abortions'? I thought the whole point of the pill was to prevent pregnancies before they happen.

Pardon my ignorance; I never had a comprehensive sex education.

As I understand it, yes, the pill (and other hormonal forms of birth control) prevents ovulation, thus preventing pregnancy. However, it also makes the lining of the uterus inhospitable towards an embryo, so if a woman does ovulate the embryo does not implant.

Was the long thread that discussed this possibly on the proposed Mississippi bill in favour of granting fertilised eggs personhood?

So many people ask about BC causing abortion that maybe we should have a thread that remains at the top of the forum for this subject. (I can't remember what such a thread is called-a sticky?) That way, we can direct any questions to that thread. It could include Doc Sharon's post on BC

It seems like they've closed comments and I can't even see them. . .

They ended up shutting the comments down because the comments were growing increasingly hostile.

What happened, in a nutshell and as far as I could determine...

A Recovering Grace contributor writes about how as much as he enjoyed being a member of a large family, he and his wife decided that was not for them. Another contributor gave a slap on the hand to the author about family planning and insinuated that all of the contributors to Recovering Grace were pro-life and wanted the author to state what family planning method or methods were used. The slapper" insinuated that people automatically assume family planning = BC pill, which according to "slapper" is abortificent (did I spell it right?)

Other contributors took the "slapper" to task, as the article was about how the author felt about a large family not birth control and suggested that "slapper" should have addressed this privately with the author. "Slapper" wouldn't back down and demanded the author reveal his family planning methods.

I thought it was in poor taste of "slapper" to do that. His actions sort of indicate that his grace needs to recover a bit more.

There were two "slappers."

One was a man named Brian who basically chastised the contributor Ryan for promoting "murder" in the form of abortion.

The other slapper was a woman named Mellie who was simultaneously freaking out over feeling judged for having a large family and verbally spanking Ryan for being selfish enough to want to control his family size.

It was amusing. Reminds me that you can take the person out of the cult but some folks will just never remove the cult from their way of thinking.

Oh lordy, can I just slap them over the head with a few medical journals? The pill cannot cause ABORTIONS, what you mean is a MISCARRIAGE, you numbskulls. Furthermore, there is NO EGG to fertilize anyhow, because that's how the pill works, and it's secondary effect is to thicken mucus making it harder for sperm to swim through. Then there was a THEORETICAL and now DISPROVEN idea that the uterine lining would be thinned enough to cause a higher rate of miscarriages, except that there is no statistically significant difference (or anything even approaching significance) in the number of early miscarriages between women for whom the pill fails and women who are not on BC.

I once had this debate, citing medical literature, with two conservative Christian men. One told me that as Christians he believed we should "error" [sic] on the side of caution. I was sorely tempted to reply with "Well I've been on the pill for two years now, and my tampons could tell you there's still a substantial uterine lining" but I thought I'd shock their poor souls by discussing something like that with them, and in public! I was very annoyed and wondered about their wives, though.

And really, abortions and birth control are two different topics. Related, arguably, but you can't kill something that doesn't exist yet. Taking the pill does not make you a murderer. The lack of logic, the stupidity, they burn!

Archived