IGNORED

File this under: Yet another reason I can't stand Kendal

Koala

http://www.thefatherknowsbest.com/2011/10/epidemic.html

WHY does every.damn.thing have to be an "obedience issue" with these people. It's like they are obsessed with controlling every aspect of their children's lives....

I wonder what on earth that pastor said to them when their daughter was 2 1/2???

Making a kid eat everything is one way to ensure an eating disorder later on down the road. My kids had to try everything I fixed and if they said they didn't like it that was fine. I'm the world's pickiest eater and to be forced to eat something you don't like is cruel.

Making a kid eat everything is one way to ensure an eating disorder later on down the road. My kids had to try everything I fixed and if they said they didn't like it that was fine. I'm the world's pickiest eater and to be forced to eat something you don't like is cruel.

I was going to say the same. Why do people want their children to be robots? Children are people too - why aren't they allowed to have taste buds? Just present a bunch of healthy options and let them choose from there.

I was one of those forced to eat everything on my plate. Unfortunately, growing up I was someone who ate like a bird, so I couldn't eat it all. Now I over-eat to appease the nagging voices in my head.

However, at least I was allowed to choose what I put on my plate, and discovered early on that I don't like any kind of beans. My sister is a much pickier eater. So there were always plenty of options if we didn't like something.

Why do these people think "short order cook" or "force them" are the only 2 options?

I know my family isn't completely 'normal' on food issues, but I give my folks a lot of props--they would prepare a meal and I had to take one bite of the main course (extra small if it was sauerkraut :), be polite about it, and there were *always* sides and lots of them.

When my dad made sauerkraut or whatever, we were expected to eat what we put on our plates (we learned to take small portions until we knew we liked things :lol: --and I don't think there was a punishment for failing to finish other than no dessert) but he would *always* make sure there was something tolerable on the table and, worst case scenario, we finish dinner w/o finding something, we could make ourselves PB&J.

My family is still ridiculous with side dishes...If I visit my parent's house, there will be at least 4 side dishes on the table for a quick "soup and sandwich" lunch they planned on the fly--with the assumption that everyone can find *something* they want to eat and be polite about it.

You know what, my mom had a bunch of kids and she never ran around making special meals for us OR forcing us to eat food we didn't like. If it was something new she would have us try one bite, but we could either eat what was served or go hungry. She always made sure to serve at least a couple of things that everybody liked and if we didn't eat the other things than it was no big deal. Kendal acts like you either have to force feed your kids or run around making everyone individual meals and that isn't true.

You know what, my mom had a bunch of kids and she never ran around making special meals for us OR forcing us to eat food we didn't like. If it was something new she would have us try one bite, but we could either eat what was served or go hungry. She always made sure to serve at least a couple of things that everybody liked and if we didn't eat the other things than it was no big deal. Kendal acts like you either have to force feed your kids or run around making everyone individual meals and that isn't true.

When our kids were growing up, they had one choice if they didn't like what was served: peanut butter & jelly. They would have to get up and make their own sandwich and it had to be a PB&J (they all like PB&J so this was not torture :D ). It saved us a lot of power struggle issues at mealtime b/c my boys tended to be picky eaters, although they are far less so now.

discovered early on that I don't like any kind of beans.

Beans, yuck, yuck, yuck. I hate beans, no matter how they are fixed. Can't eat anything with beans. My DIL is from Colombia and cooks with lots of beans, fortunately my son loves them but I just say no thank you. I do like raw string beans but I never think of them as beans.

Beans, yuck, yuck, yuck. I hate beans, no matter how they are fixed. Can't eat anything with beans. My DIL is from Colombia and cooks with lots of beans, fortunately my son loves them but I just say no thank you. I do like raw string beans but I never think of them as beans.

Family lore has it that I stood up on my dining room chair at three and loudly declared for family and guests alike, "I will never eat lima beans -- for my whole life!"

If I did that, I don't remember, but it is true that I will never eat a lima bean.

When our kids were growing up, they had one choice if they didn't like what was served: peanut butter & jelly. They would have to get up and make their own sandwich and it had to be a PB&J (they all like PB&J so this was not torture :D ). It saved us a lot of power struggle issues at mealtime b/c my boys tended to be picky eaters, although they are far less so now.

PB&J probably saved my life as a kid. Even now, I go to quite a few scrapbook retreats where we team up to cook meals. It's always things I don't eat so I always bring my own PB&J supplies. My friends say that's what you're eating? Yep, beats what the rest of you are eating. 8-)

Family lore has it that I stood up on my dining room chair at three and loudly declared for family and guests alike, "I will never eat lima beans -- for my whole life!"

If I did that, I don't remember, but it is true that I will never eat a lima bean.

OMG, is there any food worse than lima beans? My Dad used to make this disgusting dish of creamed corn and lima beans. I despise lima beans, I'm with you. I'd eat broccoli before a lima bean would ever touch my lips.

I have a real problem w/ parents who make an issue of food. I give my kids lots of healthy options and then let them decide what and how much to eat. They love lots of healthy things, but if they find something they don't like, I don't push it. If they don't care for what we're having for dinner, and would rather have a turkey sandwich and some carrot sticks instead, it's no big deal.

I just hate the idea of those kids being punished (and you know they are) if they don't eat something.

Exactly! Lots of little kids are picky, but usually they outgrow it!

I have a real problem w/ parents who make an issue of food. I give my kids lots of healthy options and then let them decide what and how much to eat. They love lots of healthy things, but if they find something they don't like, I don't push it. If they don't care for what we're having for dinner, and would rather have a turkey sandwich and some carrot sticks instead, it's no big deal.

I just hate the idea of those kids being punished (and you know they are) if they don't eat something.

One of the few things I remember from pediatric nutrition class way back in the 1960's was that experiments had shown that if you allow kids to make their own choices out of many food choices they might have an unbalanced diet in the short term but in the long term they won't.

I can eat green beans and black beans, that's about it. And I didn't start eating black beans until very recently.

Lima beans??? You guys have to cook them right! :lol:

You have to put them in the crock post w/ some diced ham and huge slices of vidalia onion. Then you cook it on high until they're so soft they're ready to fall apart. Serve w/ cornbread made in a cast iron skillet and possibly fried pork chops.

Why yes, I am from the south! :lol:

I tried to ask what methods were used to break the little girl's will, but I don't think it will show up.

As for beans I'm from the South too, but I hate Lima Beans. UGH. I used to hate black eye peas until I learned to cook them like red beans and YUMMY, they're delicious!

Okay, anyone else hates when others try to push their food on you [that they know you HATE], because if you only try THEIR version, you'll love it! I've heard that line sooooooooooooooooooo many times about foods I hate and I always feel the need to be polite, take a bite and try not to vomit before I can get that nasty food out of my mouth.

My parents were nothing like that, but there were one or two foods my mom would cook that I just could. not. stand. I remember sitting at the dining room table all evening as a kid, crying, because I could not finish my dinner but was not allowed to leave the table until I did. :( And for some reason, she would keep making that casserole or whatever it was every once in a while!

Yeah, I know it's good for kids to eat vegetables. But a) I agree, don't force them to eat an entire plate of it. Make them at least try a bite or two, then don't push it. And b) man, what a rant about something that everybody knows.

Remember in the movie "Mommy Dearest" when Christina Crawford refuses to eat that godawful-looking steak, so Mama Joan tries to re-serve it to her, meal after meal after meal? I wouldn't put it past Kendal to pull some shit like that.

Seriously, food should not be one of those things that is a "no compromise" issue. My rule (aside from the PB&J rule that others have) is that you have to at least taste it before you decide you don't like it. If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it. I also included my kids in the grocery shopping when they were old enough, and let them decide what they want to eat (within reason of course--you let a 4 year old make all the food decisions, and you could end up having root beer floats for dinner).

But with Kendal, it's not even about the food (she said so herself in the comments). It's about her having absolute control and her children responding with complete, unquestioning, immediate obedience.

Lima beans are horrible! I don't care how they are cooked, I can't eat them! My oldest daughter loves them somehow, though. They make me gag.

I'm one of the pickiest eaters I know, and I used to be worse. Although I don't agree with making a kid sit down and eat everything on their plate, even if they don't like it, you should still encourage and make them eat their veggies. I never ate veggies as a kid, and now I wish I would have because I'd eat more now when I'm older. Now I'm just starting to get used to the different ways I can eat and appreciate veggies. Granted, most of the veggies growing were canned beans and peas, and I just can't stand canned veggies. I don't like ANY type of bean.

I agree that it's mainly an issue of child obedience, like with most fundie families.

I'm one of the pickiest eaters I know, and I used to be worse. Although I don't agree with making a kid sit down and eat everything on their plate, even if they don't like it, you should still encourage and make them eat their veggies. I never ate veggies as a kid, and now I wish I would have because I'd eat more now when I'm older. Now I'm just starting to get used to the different ways I can eat and appreciate veggies. Granted, most of the veggies growing were canned beans and peas, and I just can't stand canned veggies. I don't like ANY type of bean.

I agree that it's mainly an issue of child obedience, like with most fundie families.

Fundie parents are unbelievably self-centered. Don't BF your baby unless it's on YOUR schedule. Children should eat everything put in front of them, even if they don't like it. If your kid gets fussy, smack them for being disruptive and disrespectful.

This is what happens when you basically force people to have children. They don't want the children, so they center everything around themselves.

Fuck I hate fundie mommybloggers.

My parents never forced me to eat certain foods. I'm not extremely picky eater, but there are a few foods that my parents loved that I hated. They always encouraged me to eat the foods I didn't like, but if I said that I didn't want to eat the foods, they were ok with it.

I agree with ThisOlGirl, with Kendal it isn't about food it is more about control. In her blog posting, she throws in some stuff about starving children in the below quote.

. You eat what's given to you and if you do not then it is an obedience issue. Plain and simple. Children in the states are spoiled, and spoiled rotten. My children included! Do you think starving children are picky? If we handed green peas to a very poor starved child do you think they would say no?! Of course not! Only in the states in homes where food is plentiful do we see picky eaters. And guess what, it's our fault! I can bet you that in a house where food is not plentiful (and decent food may be a luxury), kids eat what they are given and they are thankful for it.

I agree starving children probably aren't picky eaters when they are given food. I hate how Kendal seems to imply that many American children in homes with a good food supply are picky eaters. Some families buy their food supply based on the preferences of the family.

I have yet to meet anyone, online or in real life, that's pickier than I am. Growing up my dad would occasionally try to force me to eat something (usually some type of meat, bleh) and I would either refuse or try it and get sick. I still resent him for doing that, and I never grew out of it - my diet is almost the same as it was when I was a child. My son goes through the usual picky phases that little kids go through, and when he does I usually just make him try a bite and then offer him a PB sandwich if he doesn't like whatever's being served. When he's old enough, he'll either eat what we're eating or he can go make himself a healthy alternative. I would feel like the world's biggest hypocrite if I tried to force him to eat something when I don't eat anything normal myself. I wonder how Kendall would feel if someone forced her to eat things she doesn't like all the time. How cruel.

My sister solve the problem of forced eating: she threw up. After that, she ate what she wanted and now eats pretty much anything except mayonnaise.

But I do looooooooovvvvvveeee lima beans!

Archived