IGNORED

RIP Bob Dole

47of74

Bob Dole has passed away;

Bob Dole, who overcame disabling war wounds to become a sharp-tongued Senate leader from Kansas, a Republican presidential candidate and then a symbol and celebrant of his dwindling generation of World War II veterans, has died. He was 98.

His wife, Elizabeth Dole, posted the announcement Sunday on Twitter.

Dole announced in February 2021 that he’d been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. During his 36-year career on Capitol Hill, Dole became one of the most influential legislators and party leaders in the Senate, combining a talent for compromise with a caustic wit, which he often turned on himself but didn’t hesitate to turn on others, too.

During his 36-year career on Capitol Hill, Dole became one of the most influential legislators and party leaders in the Senate, combining a talent for compromise with a caustic wit, which he often turned on himself but didn’t hesitate to turn on others, too.

He was one trillion times the person that the former guy was and compared to former guy would not have been a bad President.

He was born one week before my paternal grandpa. 

RIP Mr. Dole.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

I was just coming here to post the same thing. While I strongly disagreed with a lot of his politics I still believe he was a man who loved his country and we just had different opinions of how it should be run. One of the things I didn't agree with was his support of the orange menace and happily he split with the orange menace.

Thank you for your decades of service to our country as well as the physical sacrifices you made for it.

I'm very thankful that he passed away under President Biden's watch as I believe he's going to be more honored and celebrated which we should do for him as a country then had the orange menace been president.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

I have long used senator Dole as one of my examples describing how it used to be. I disagreed with many of his policy goals, but admired him as a human being who fought for causes in which he genuinely believed. Also, as a person with physical issues, he fought hard for the Americans With Disability Act, which makes many things easier. 

As has already been written, I’m glad he died during Biden’s administration. His funeral will be dignified and people won’t be watching anxiously, waiting for the tangerine toddler to poop all over the occasion. 

Edited by GreyhoundFan
Edited for riffles
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

I often used him as an example of how the Republican party used to be, such as being willing to compromise to get things done for the benefit of the country, not the Party. While I didn't always agree with his politics, he certainly would have been a much better President than Orange Menace as he would have used the office for the good of the country, instead of himself. I'm also relieved that he died during Biden's administration as it means he will have a dignified funeral without the Orange Toddler's tantrums.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Yeah looks like the orange fornicate wasn’t at the funeral.

Bob Dole was honored Friday at Washington National Cathedral as top leaders from both parties gathered to display the kind of bipartisanship now rare in modern government, a tribute to the longtime Kansas senator’s ability to practice bare-knuckle politics without losing an overriding sense of civility.

Dole’s flag-draped casket was carried in by a military honor guard as the congregation stood and Dole’s wife, former North Carolina Sen. Elizabeth Dole, and daughter, Robin, looked on. Joining top leaders of Congress at the invitation-only ceremony were President Joe Biden, members of his Cabinet and former Republican Vice Presidents Mike Pence, Dick Cheney and Dan Quayle. Bill Clinton, who beat Dole to win reelection as president in 1996 and was recently hospitalized for an infection unrelated to COVID-19, was also on-hand.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

If I go anytime soon if some dumb fornicate even invites fornicate face or a member of his family to any service for me I’m coming back for some industrial grade haunting.  Even if said fornicate never shows up or acknowledges the invite. 

• Upvote 5